Home

Why do they keep ignoring multiplayer!!??

This is a discussion on Why do they keep ignoring multiplayer!!?? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 14
Why do they keep ignoring multiplayer!!??

Sorry if this has been mentioned in all the E3 talk but I can't help but scratch my head in wonder why on earth EA feels it's ok to skimp on multiplayer options.

So far what we've gotten with 09 is 1v1 online exhibition and 2v2 offline (unless you use the glitch to get 3 or 4 on one side). Now in Madden 10 what are we getting?? Ian said he didn't forget about multiplayer but I have a feeling that is just in regard to online franchise.

I just have to say, where is the console multiplayer!!???

This is what it is probably going to look like, and if I am wrong, please correct me..

Offline Exhibition - 1-4p v 1-4p (total 4p)
Online Exhibition - 1-2p v 1-2p (total 4p) (may be less)
Offline Franchise - 1-4p v CPU (total 4p) (can't remember if ppl can play against you in your franchise, don't think they can though)
Online Franchise - 1p v 1p (total 2p)

Now, being we are in the year 2010, wouldn't and shouldn't it look like this???

Offline Exhibition - 1-5p v 1-5p (total 10p)
Online Exhibition - 1-4p v 1-4p (total 8p)
Offline Franchise - 1-5p v 1-5p (total 10p)
Online Franchise - 1-4p v 1-4p (total 8p)

Come on if I can play 6v6 in NHL 09 why can't I play 4v4 in Madden 10??

Another thing that keeps getting ignored is same console users. Sorry, I have friends who come over and we bang out sports games. We don't sit in our houses with our headsets on and call for a pass, we do it the good of our company.

Why should we be penalized for playing on the same system?? I should be allowed to have an online franchise and have 3 buds join up with me on my console.

I just don't understand why this is ignored. I'll probably play online franchise when not playing with friends but it would be 10x more fun playing real ppl with my real friends....

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
Banned

N@X_WiZaRD's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Why do they keep ignoring multiplayer!!??

Personally, I've always believed that a football game featuring more than 4 players is way too much. There's just not enough significant ball equity in team-play to ensure guaranteed enjoyment for all players. Second slot receivers can literally run for 3-4 drives without even touching the ball once. You'd almost have to run a spread offense with 5 WRs to make sure everyone is getting the ball at normal times. Because a RB-heavy offense would be incredibly boring for some QB and WR players.

NHL and FIFA are completely different games IMO. The ball MUST move between all players. The defenders are critical for starting the play, and the forwards are critical for finishing the play. Every layer of the offense/defense has a "QB" to ensure proper play execution so it just feels like there's more of the ball to go around.

It sucks that we didn't get 8p games, but at the same time, I can understand why Ian made it less of a priority. EA still doesn't know how to make all positions fun to play. And that's partially because EA still has a lot to learn and partly because of the nature of the game of football itself.

Last edited by N@X_WiZaRD; 06-09-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by N@X_WiZaRD
Personally, I've always believed that any football game with more than 4p is way too much. There's just not enough significant ball equity in team-play to ensure guaranteed enjoyment for all players. Second slot receivers can literally run for 3-4 drives without even touching the ball once. You'd almost have to run a spread offense with 5 WRs to make sure everyone is getting the ball at normal times. Because a RB-heavy offense would be incredibly boring for some QB and WR players.

NHL and FIFA are completely different games IMO. The ball MUST move between all players. The defenders are critical for starting the play, and the forwards are critical for finishing the play. Every layer of the offense/defense has a "QB" to ensure proper play execution so it just feels like there's more of the ball to go around.

It sucks that we didn't get 8p games, but at the same time, I can understand why Ian made it less of a priority. EA still doesn't know how to make all positions fun to play. And that's partially because EA still has a lot to learn and partly because of the nature of the game of football itself.
The beauty of this conversation is that it is entirely your opinion. EA doesn't stand to lose anything by just implementing this feature. While you may not like it doesn't mean nobody would ever use it. It's up to the individual to decide how they would want to use a feature like this and I think it's worth mentioning because I, like the OP, think it sounds like a good idea.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
Banned

N@X_WiZaRD's Arena

OVR: 3

Yea, who knows, it could be a feature implemented this year. I was just explaining why football developers have generally avoided it while at the same time offering 6v6 in NHL and 11v11 in Fifa.

I, myself, would love the feature if it was implemented correctly.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:49 AM   #5
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Phil actually said that this is the reason why....

Football is an 11 on 11 sport in which each guy has a certain assignment to do. If they had more than say 4 vs. 4, people would be going crazy and the game won't be fun. They are actually looking into it though for the future. But yeah that's what they said was the main reason why. In Hockey/soccer, players can do whatever. In football, players are assigned to do things more than just about any other sport.

Anyways, a long time ago when going to a friends house, we played Madden 2003.
It was on the ps2 and I brought my multitap and he had his and therefore we could have 8 players play ( me and 3 of my friends vs. 4 of my other friends). It was frustrating. Everyone was yelling, people weren't running their routes, people were arguing over plays. It was a mess. So yeah to put team play into madden, they would definitely need more time to think things out to make it an actual fun experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #6
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwayGod53
Sorry if this has been mentioned in all the E3 talk but I can't help but scratch my head in wonder why on earth EA feels it's ok to skimp on multiplayer options.

So far what we've gotten with 09 is 1v1 online exhibition and 2v2 offline (unless you use the glitch to get 3 or 4 on one side). Now in Madden 10 what are we getting?? Ian said he didn't forget about multiplayer but I have a feeling that is just in regard to online franchise.

I just have to say, where is the console multiplayer!!???

This is what it is probably going to look like, and if I am wrong, please correct me..

Offline Exhibition - 1-4p v 1-4p (total 4p)
Online Exhibition - 1-2p v 1-2p (total 4p) (may be less)
Offline Franchise - 1-4p v CPU (total 4p) (can't remember if ppl can play against you in your franchise, don't think they can though)
Online Franchise - 1p v 1p (total 2p)

Now, being we are in the year 2010, wouldn't and shouldn't it look like this???

Offline Exhibition - 1-5p v 1-5p (total 10p)
Online Exhibition - 1-4p v 1-4p (total 8p)
Offline Franchise - 1-5p v 1-5p (total 10p)
Online Franchise - 1-4p v 1-4p (total 8p)

Come on if I can play 6v6 in NHL 09 why can't I play 4v4 in Madden 10??

Another thing that keeps getting ignored is same console users. Sorry, I have friends who come over and we bang out sports games. We don't sit in our houses with our headsets on and call for a pass, we do it the good of our company.

Why should we be penalized for playing on the same system?? I should be allowed to have an online franchise and have 3 buds join up with me on my console.

I just don't understand why this is ignored. I'll probably play online franchise when not playing with friends but it would be 10x more fun playing real ppl with my real friends....

Thanks.
Did you even think before you wrote this? I'll give you that online should potentially allow for more than 1vs1 or 2vsCPU - but how the hell is OFFLINE going to do more than 2vs2? The 360 and Wii each only allow 4 players on a console. The PS3 allows 7 players, so 3vs3 is theoretically possible but then you'd have everyone else whining about the games not being equal.

You can't blame EA for something that the consoles don't physically allow.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:10 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 13

Well.. isn't ON-Line franchise a multiplayer option?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
Well.. isn't ON-Line franchise a multiplayer option?
wow 1v1 thank you EA...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »