Home

Can we please have an honest discussion about a new engine... no 2k vs madden talk!!!

This is a discussion on Can we please have an honest discussion about a new engine... no 2k vs madden talk!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Rookie

orhymes's Arena

OVR: 2
Can we please have an honest discussion about a new engine... no 2k vs madden talk!!!

First let me say that I think that this madden (madden 10) is great... I miss out on a lot of the issues because I strictly play a local multiplayer franchise with my brother so cpu AI doesn't affect me much. But I wonder really how much longer can we play with this same sort of engine? No matter how much is changed, things put in, things taken out, I think I (along with many others) have reached a plateau with the amount of fun to be had with this current engine.

Think about it like this... pacman was a great game... ms pacman was an even better game but could you imagine if we were on our 10th iteration of a yearly pacman game that played the same essentially but had new features. Sure you'd play every year for a bit just to check out the new features like the ability to jump over ghost or online play but in the end you are still just a yellow ball eating dots.

I don't know what can be done but I personally would like to see an entirely physics based engine... I realize this my take awhile to build but if no one is working on it now when will we ever see it... if ever?

PLEASE NO 2k vs Madden talk because I actually want to have an honest discussion about this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: Can we please have an honest discussion about a new engine... no 2k vs madden tal

I honestly dont think there is any point in having this discussion at this point. I dont think EA has any plans or desire to do a new engine. Im just disgusted, that the engine from last gen basically just got ported over to next gen with better graphics.

I dont expect to see a new engine until they start to develop for PS4 and XBox 720 (or whatever its called), and even then, I wouldnt be shocked to see the same engine.

Hopefully, by then, EA wont be the only company making NFL games. I miss having 3 or 4 NFL games to choose from (Madden, Gameday, 2K, QB Club, etc). If this exclusive deal keeps going, sadly, we may never play a TRULY great NFL game.

I am enjoying Madden 10, but the engine is at its limit. And while the new team is obviously working hard, I dont think any of them REALLY know much about football.

I really wish a few of the more knowledgable members on this board were hired by EA, as nothing more than consultants. Its amazing how alot of people on here can point out things that are wrong within a day of having the game, yet EA cant figure it out over the course of a few years, even though theyve been told countless times.

Laziness, ignorance, arrogance, lack of footballl knowledge, lack of desire to please customers....take your pick.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Pro

Ankido's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Can we please have an honest discussion about a new engine... no 2k vs madden tal

Expect to see a new engine at the end of the NFL contract. EA can't afford to miss out one year of Madden for a new engine while under the NFL contract. I don't know why they rushed for the nexgen; they should have sat out a year like the PS1. Remember the Playstation never had a Madden title in it's first year of launch. If you look on the back box of the original playstation, you'll see pictures of what was to be Madden. Madden skipped the Playstations first year on the market. I wouldn't mind skipping another year of Madden for a new engine as long as they give us free roster upgrades.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia
I honestly dont think there is any point in having this discussion at this point. I dont think EA has any plans or desire to do a new engine. Im just disgusted, that the engine from last gen basically just got ported over to next gen with better graphics.

I dont expect to see a new engine until they start to develop for PS4 and XBox 720 (or whatever its called), and even then, I wouldnt be shocked to see the same engine.

Hopefully, by then, EA wont be the only company making NFL games. I miss having 3 or 4 NFL games to choose from (Madden, Gameday, 2K, QB Club, etc). If this exclusive deal keeps going, sadly, we may never play a TRULY great NFL game.

I am enjoying Madden 10, but the engine is at its limit. And while the new team is obviously working hard, I dont think any of them REALLY know much about football.

I really wish a few of the more knowledgable members on this board were hired by EA, as nothing more than consultants. Its amazing how alot of people on here can point out things that are wrong within a day of having the game, yet EA cant figure it out over the course of a few years, even though theyve been told countless times.

Laziness, ignorance, arrogance, lack of footballl knowledge, lack of desire to please customers....take your pick.

Did u buy Madden? That's the only thing that would get the license away from EA. For enough people not to buy the game. Now the game is too much hype every year and people buy it rather they want to or not. If it continues to sell what it sells, they will keep the licens. We(the consumer) have a better chance of getting the NCAA to not sell their license than the NFL. If individual schools like USC, Miami, Ohio St said they wanted another company, that would carry a lot of weight. It would be nice if another company could make a College game to compete with NCAA and Madden.

as far as the engine goes. This next gen seems like a low budget 2k. The jukes seem 2kish, some of the players' movements seem 2kish. Its like they tried to become like 2k in a way. I liked 2k, but there were a lot of things I didn't like about 2k. I hated the graphics. I hated the player models, the jukes, the player movement. I never really saw it as a sim, where as Madden use to be the ultimate sim. Now its a lil too arcade like for me. Its still fun for the moment, but I'm gonna get tired of it like I do all of the previous versions.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

I think almost all of Madden's problems are a result of the engine. I have some confidence in the current dev team - however - the reality is that the engine is so bloated that it's probably near impossible to do things right. Imagine trying to write a manifesto on a piece of paper that's already covered from corner to corner in chicken scratch and doodles.

That's Madden 10. That's not an excuse - the reality is that from this point on, any Madden game that doesn't start with a new engine will be a failure in my eyes. It's frustrating because I'm tired of waiting. I think it's disgusting that I'm probably going to have to wait until 2011 or 2012 to (potentially) have a great representation of NFL football that's up to date and current standards.

Even then, if they rush the first version of Next...next-gen Madden - it'll be Madden 06 for the 360 all over again. More doodles. More chicken scratch. More long-term disasters like this engine.

This engine is broken. It cannot be fixed without being dismantled and rebuilt. I honestly don't know if I'll even bother buying a new console past this PS3. I'm tired of waiting and wasting more money.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Rookie

Evilaviator's Arena

OVR: 1

Playing this game is almost as painful as my weekly hemorrhoid flair ups.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 4

great post ankido, but they're too greedy to skip a year, it's their Flagship title, the only thing they can do is create an entirely new team to develop a new engine, and judging by how so many of the guys on this forum are all waxing Ian's weasel - i don't think its going to happen.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia
I miss having 3 or 4 NFL games to choose from (Madden, Gameday, 2K, QB Club, etc). If this exclusive deal keeps going, sadly, we may never play a TRULY great NFL game.
euphoria is a greate physic engine, but ea wont use it because they believe it has his own problem. i know it sound stupid but that is what ian said. madden 10 is a greatest football game if it was made five years ago. madden 10 is better than madden 09 and madden 09 is better than madden 08. the game is getting better every years but we are playing the same crap every years. give us something knew. am tired of seeing mocap. we will never play a greate football untill a company come and give us something knew just like bb.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »