Home

Madden Speed Rating/Logic Not Right

This is a discussion on Madden Speed Rating/Logic Not Right within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
Rookie

Blkcanes's Arena

OVR: 8
Madden Speed Rating/Logic Not Right

So I've been going through the ratings these last couple of days and I have notice Madden has a lot of players speed wrong. I know it would be actually hard to rate players speed using numbers in a video game but, something has to change, I believe. I wanted to know if anybody knows how Madden rates on Speed. Is there a highest speed the start with for 40 yard dash time and go lower or do the randomly pick a number for players coming out of the draft. One Example would be Darrius Heyward-Bey has a 97 speed in Madden 10, He ran a 4.30. Percy Harvin Ran a 4.41 which is still fast but he also is at a 97 speed. Math says that Heyward-Bey is 1.1 second faster than Harvin but in Madden they both have the speed of 97.

Tiquan Underwood, out of Rutgers was clock in at 4.41 speed same time as Harvin but is rated 3 points lower in Madden. There are a bunch other players that have high 40 speed but do not match there 40 speed rating. Mike Wallace, Steelers Rookie Receiver ran a 4.33 but has a 94 speed rating. Like I said, there are many more players that are way slower or way faster than there time at the combine. Not trying to say the Madden team is doing a bad job it's just that something should be done about the speed rating for next year and the years to come for Madden . Lets looking into some numbers.

Mike Thomas rookie for the Jaguars ran a 4.40 can we really tell the difference between .1 second in the game. I know I wouldn't be able to. This is how I see we should start with the speed ratings Chris Johnson ran a 4.29 at the combine, and we saw that speed on the field, clearly he was the fastest person on the field.

With that let us try to make some conclusions for speed. because I cant.

4.29 and anything lower should to get a 99 speed being that is the highest speed rating in Madden. Problem I run into with trying to make a conclusion is, is 4.29 way faster than 4.30, how about 4.35 it's only a .5 difference but it is half a second slower. So what I would like to know from OS members is how would we be able to have a realistic and fair speed rating for the fastest players in the game to slower players. I've done research and I cant come up with anyway myself so I would like some help on this to see if we can have really good way to input a players speed into Madden in the feature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2009, 02:03 AM   #2
Rookie

fahrenheit's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Madden Speed Rating/Logic Not Right

40 time does not translate to overall speed. In a game your wearing pads, your attention is usually focused on something other then your speed, and what other distractions you would face in a football game. Plus when your doing your 40 time, a lot of it is your preparation and explosion into your run, something that is completely different then when you line up in a game.

That said I don't know how madden determines their speed, I would guess they go on how they did in college for the more famous players, and 40 time for the rest.

Devin Hester ran a 4.41 in college if I remember right, Darren Mcfadden ran a 4.33. Yet seeing them play I would say Hester is faster.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:27 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

The speed ratings make no sense whatsoever. A 79 SPD CB can easily cover a 94 SPD WR this year.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3man
The speed ratings make no sense whatsoever. A 79 SPD CB can easily cover a 94 SPD WR this year.
And Devin Hester is the best WR?

If the 79 SPD CB has 99 MCV, then hell yes, he can easily cover a 94 spd wr.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:34 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3man
Not with adjustment of the threshold, where do you conspiracy theorists come from?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2009, 03:43 AM   #6
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

I think the problem is that there is no way to distinguish fast people from quick people in Madden. So what does the dev team do? Make all of the quick people fast. Using your Percy Harvin/Heyward Bey example, Percy is quick, very quick. He might not have the same pure speed that Heyward Bey has, but he makes up for it with his quickness. There's no way to make Percy's quickness stand out on the game. There's only a way to make him fast, so that's what they do. They make him fast. Man, you'll fry your brain trying to figure out why some of the players are rated what they are in comparison to other players. Your best bet is to just let it go. You may need your brain later lol.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:45 AM   #7
All Star

OVR: 33

@splff3000

Very true. They don't distinguish quick vs fast in this game.

Randy Moss is Fast. Steve Smith is quick.

Darren Sproles is not fast, he's quick. Generally small guys are quick. And tall guys are fast. Generally.

But since every has 99 speed thats quick or fast.

And Devin Hester is not 99 speed. He's like 99 quickness.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:48 AM   #8
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
@splff3000

Very true. They don't distinguish quick vs fast in this game.

Randy Moss is Fast. Steve Smith is quick.

Darren Sproles is not fast, he's quick. Generally small guys are quick. And tall guys are fast. Generally.

But since every has 99 speed thats quick or fast.

And Devin Hester is not 99 speed. He's like 99 quickness.
Exactly. That's exactly what I'm saying.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »