Home

Reading the Pass/Run

This is a discussion on Reading the Pass/Run within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Reading the Pass/Run

Hi guys, as I live in England I need a little help regarding the intricities of the defensive game, as we dont get alot of NFL over here.

I''ve read alot on forums about reading the pass/run with people saying, for example, "when you see pass" or "when you see run" etc...........

How do you know?

I know if the O lines up with 3 or 4 WR's it's probably going to be a pass, or if they are defending a lead it'll be a run more than likely....... but when it's a tight game I have no idea how to guess.

Can anyone give any tips?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
EA Sports' Equipment Guru

KANE699's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Reading the Pass/Run

Its just like in the NFL really, mostly a guessing game.

One of the good signs to tell if its a run is to watch for a fullback moving in motion or a tight end going from one side to the other, another one to watch for is one reciever sets.

Now you can still pass out of all of what I just said, BUT, it is more likely a run will happen, as for a pass, your best bet really is to either have a really good blitz called or at least have 2 people in zone coverage just to protect yourself.

It's really a guessing game for the most part, I hope these tips helped.

Follow me on twitter @Equipment_Guru
Old 08-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt44
Hi guys, as I live in England I need a little help regarding the intricities of the defensive game, as we dont get alot of NFL over here.

I''ve read alot on forums about reading the pass/run with people saying, for example, "when you see pass" or "when you see run" etc...........

How do you know?

I know if the O lines up with 3 or 4 WR's it's probably going to be a pass, or if they are defending a lead it'll be a run more than likely....... but when it's a tight game I have no idea how to guess.

Can anyone give any tips?
Yeah, you are really guessing on every down, but what helps your guesses are your opponents tendencies. As the game plays on you get an idea of what your opponent likes to call on certain situations.

Also keep in mind there is no perfect defensive play. They all have a weakness that can be exposed. What you have to decide is what do I want to take away and what do I want to risk leaving open.

If your opponent is smart and mixes his plays up well you can be in for a long game. Its not an indictment on you being bad its just some people are that good.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

THE CENTER GIVES THE PLAY AWAY EVERY TIME!!!

It's going to take some practice and patience, but you have to be good with your eyes. They teach linebackers to loosen their eyes to see the guards, center and through the backfield to read the play. Here, the thought process is the same, except you read the center.

If he pops up with his hands out in front of him and skates one way or another, it's a pass. If he snaps the ball and steps forward and drives out aggressively, it's a run. They've disguised it a bit better this year and you'll only have a split second, but there it is.

Everyone else on the line can lie to you except but the center.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 08-26-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Typo--thanks CreatineKasey
Old 08-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 55

Heavily guessing early on... and in the 2nd half much less guessing if your opponent is predictable. You should be able to pick up on tendencies.

@ senator palmer - for the 2nd one- when the center drives out aggressively I think you meant it's a run?

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »