Home

Madden 11 Wishlist

This is a discussion on Madden 11 Wishlist within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2009, 03:30 AM   #1
Rookie

DePounded's Arena

OVR: 4
Madden 11 Wishlist

Ok, I know we are a long way away, but I want to put this out there early. Here is my list of things I would like to see added or improved on upon for Madden 11:

Gameplay Advancements:
1)Blocking AI- For many years now, Madden has struggled with blocking AI, and Madden 10 is no exception. Players on the OL frequently miss their assignments and also on long outside runs, they fail to move up the field, and "kick out" the next defender. This is really frustrating--especially on plays when we should gain more yardage if the blockers would be smarter. Pass blocking is also highly problemic due to the "magnet blocking" in which the OL get attached the defenders. In addition, why don't we see different kinds of blocks? For example, where are the cut blocks? Why don't we see double-teams or RB/FB chipping the pass rushers? You see this all the time on Sunday--especially against the top pass rushers; I would like to see this added to Madden 11. The entire AI of the blocking system needs to be reworked.

2)Lack of Pass Rush- One of the biggest problems with Madden 10 on defense is that it is almost impossible to get to the QB consistently. This is because of the “magnet blocking.” I’ve seen plays where the QB has had 10 seconds sometimes to throw the ball--this is insanely unrealistic please fix it! Another hugely underrated problem is that it makes it easier for the QB to scramble because Pro-Tak forms such a huge pocket.

3)CPU AI- I can remember back in the day on PS2/Xbox when the CPU would actually challenge you on All-Madden. Now all it does is utilize “catch up AI” in order to remain competitive. Ex. If you get up by 14 or more points, brace yourself because you are about to commit a turnover. It wouldn’t be a big deal if it happened one in a while, but it happens every single time. And when it isn’t cheating to stay in the game, it makes insanely stupid play calls on defense such as blitzing the house on 4th and long. It is also really slow in adapting to your game plan (i.e. how many times can I get away with throwing to the flats before it realizes it?). I like the way it keys on your running game, but it to be better at shutting down the pass. The CPU’s clock management at the end of halves is likewise terrible. I’ve seen too many situations where the CPU cost itself points before the half or lost the game because it didn’t take timeouts or spike the ball to conserve time. My goodness, this is THE HIGHEST DIFFICULTY, please challenge us! And the so-called Adaptive AI is terrible.
4)The Mini Juke- I’ve hated this garbage since it started in Madden/NCAA 09. On outside runs or after you field the kickoff, there is this slight hitch during which just before you hit the speed burst, the player performs this sort of change-of-direction mini-juke. I know that you guys probably put this in to counter those cheesers who run to the outside all the time, but it gives the defense/kick coverage an extra second to get to the runner, and it is really B.S. when you get stuffed for a loss when you actually had the hole but because of the hesitation juke you lose yardage.
5)Freezing- No, I’m not talking about the freezing during the menu navigation, I’m referring to those weird moments during the game in which the game freezes up for a second, and then everything is cool. Please fix it.
6)Clunky and or repetitive animations- There are some animations that just don’t look natural… they look pre-packaged, and although there are not a lot of these in Madden 10, when they happen, you certainly notice it. Also, some of the animations occur WAY TOO MUCH throughout the course of one game. Ex. The shoestring tackle.
7)Bring back manual defensive coverages- Back on the PS2/Xbox you could manually change a DB’s coverage i.e. you could bump a specific WR or TE or back off a WR/TE. Please bring this back!
8)Bump & Run- Sometimes bump and run coverage is way too effective at knocking WRs off their routes IMO. This should be a high risk/reward system--sometimes you get the sack or turnover, other times you get burned for a big play.

9)Hit Stick Counter- There are some players online whose entire defensive strategy centers on flying around the field and hitting stick everyone. If they don’t get the turnover, then they are screwed. IMO, these cheesers should be penalized for their overly aggressive play. The hit stick should also be a high risk/reward kind of thing. On offense, there really isn’t anything to “turn the tables” on those hit stick abusers, we can try to hurdle the defender, but that is about it. I think you guys should add a button (maybe off the highlight stick) to counter the hit stick--just another way to balance out the game play.
10)Lack of fluid running- When I compare the running physics from Madden current-gen to Madden next-gen, I think that the next-gen physics are quite clunky and unnatural. They just don’t feel right like they did on the older Maddens.
11)Players running “through” each other- In some of the post-play animations, the players will actually go through each other. This has been an issue since the PS2/Xbox days. Please fix it!
12)The Seizure Animation- Although quite rare, I’ve noticed situations where the players go into this weird animation where they spin continually in a circle. I’ve also seen times where as you come to line on offense, one of the O-Line man hang back by the huddle (usually the right tackle), and are stuck there.
Game Modes:
1)Franchise Mode- We still haven’t seen the full Owner mode that we had back in Madden 2004. Looking at a bunch of charts and graphs showing revenue, player contracts, etc. isn’t enough. We need to have CONTROL over those functions (i.e. setting ticket prices, food, etc.). In fact, just NCAA did with their Road to Glory mode; you could do with Owner mode--come up with a points or ranking system, and rate the top franchise owners via a Xbox live or PSN. I would also like it if we could actually practice with our team right from the Franchise hub not have to export our team, and then go into practice mode from the menu. Another aspect that franchise mode is lacking is the ability to create a coach, develop a scheme, select a team, and try to reach the Hall of Fame. Heck, you could even come up with a cool name like “John Madden: Coach to Glory” or something, and maybe even get the big man himself to record pep talks or something as you play through your coaching career.
2)Old Mini-Camp- Bring back the old, PS2/Xbox mini-camp as well as the Two-Minute Drill.

3)Improved Match Making- Ok, now I know NCAA has its share of issues, but I really like the whole Season Showdown idea not because of the whole school spirit thing, but because you could look at someone’s card and a sense of how they played--especially from their sportsmanship rating. Sometimes the record doesn’t tell the whole story. For example, I’m currently 30-12 online so some people think I’m a cheeser when in fact I always play straight-up, real football. And while we are talking about match making, I think strength of schedule would be nice addition also so we can see if a baller is beating a bunch of newcomers to boast his record. Also, for those who want to play the best, this would be a great way to make sure we are playing the best. A rivalry mode will be fun also (i.e. keep track of who wins more games Bears v. Packers). Why did you get rid of match making by location… this really helped get smoother games with less lag?

4)Online Franchise- I don’t think I really have to go into this one--please give us player salaries, contracts, CPU trade logic, etc. I’m pretty sure though that this is already on the top of your list for Madden 11.

5)Ranked and Hardcore Modes- This was an option that you had back on Madden 2005 in which the ranked mode had fair play settings and the hardcore mode didn’t. Please bring it back.

6)Profile/Stat Tracking- As a stat junkie, this one is really frustrating to me! Why is there no profile and stat tracking (record, stats, etc.) in Madden 10? While EASPORTS World is nice, it doesn’t cut it. Ian, you say that you study the hell out of NFL 2K5, then you should know all about 2K’s VIP system. Not only does it track wins, losses, and stats, it tracks tendencies as well. This would be awesome if it was added to Madden.

7)Madden Challenge- Back on current gen, I really got into the Madden Challenge and Madden Cards. I realize that now PS3 Trophies and X360 Achievements have kind of overtaken that, but can you either add more trophies/achievements or do something along the lines of in-game tasks and Madden Cards?
Presentation:
1)The Extra Point- Ok, first of all, thank you for finally putting in the highlight show. But, the commentary is just awful! It sounds pre-rehearsed, scripted, and quite frankly, bland. I like the people that you chose, but don’t like the way they deliver their lines. There are NO highlights of the games.

2)Booth Commentary- Tom Hammond needs to shape up or ship out. He bores me, and he also sounded much scripted--like he is reading directly off the paper, which I’m pretty sure he is. It’s actually quite sad because as someone who lives in the Midwest, I hear Hammond call Notre Dame games every week, and he sounds great! But for whatever the case, this hasn’t transferred over to Madden. He has much more energy when he is doing Notre Dame games. In the case of Collinsworth, I like him… except for the times when he gets his commentary DEAD WRONG. He’ll say things like “The Bills have had no trouble finding the end-zone today” after they score their first TD of the game WTF! Hammond also has this problem from time-to-time as well. The commentary just frankly doesn’t add much to the game--Hammond tells you the bare minimum (“The tackle was made by Briggs”). Also, having stat bars pop up is sort of worthless when the announcers fail to mention them. Commentary needs to be recorded for the stat bars (i.e. if a team is struggling on 3rd down, Hammond and Collinsworth should talk about it). Overall, the commentary just doesn’t sound natural and free-flowing, it sounds like it was pre-recorded, and I think that writing and recording commentary for sports games isn’t easy, but once again, NFL 2K5’s nameless announcers did a better job than you guys did this past yr.
3)Sideline Reporter- Where is the sideline reporter to report on injuries, pre-game strategies, half-time adjustments, etc.

4)Cut-Scenes- Great job this year with the cut scenes, but if you get the opportunity, I would like to see more for Madden 11. And PLEASE CUT DOWN BRINGING THE CHAIN GANG ON THE FIELD, GOOD GOD, THIS HAPPENS WAYYY TOO MUCH. It never happens as much in real life as it does in one game of Madden.
5)More Replays- Hopefully, this will be addressed with Patch #2, but if not, please add more replays on the big plays, with different angles, spilt-screen (it was in Madden 2004), etc.
Final Thoughts:
In spite of all my critiques and criticisms, you guys did a solid job on Madden 10. Clearly, it is the best Madden on the next-gen, I won’t say it was the best Madden ever (2005 was IMO), but Ian, you clearly have the franchise moving in the right direction, and I look forward to seeing what guys bring to the table with Madden 11. I also realize that some of these suggestions might even be taken care of in the Madden 10 patches, if that is the case, sorry to point out stuff you have already corrected.

Last edited by DePounded; 09-25-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Madden 11 Wishlist

My Wish list:

Give up the exclusive license so other companies game make NFL football games.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16

I don't think the gameplay things can go on a wishlist yet due to the fact that many of them will be patched by patch 2. Keep the list to just things missing in the game.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Nice list OP, but there is a Wishlist Forum as well. Just an FYI.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ishlist-forum/

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »