Home

I have what is probably a terrible idea...

This is a discussion on I have what is probably a terrible idea... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
I have what is probably a terrible idea...

I was reading another thread a bit ago, not sure which one, but it gave me an idea. It had something to do with a pressure sensitive throw power attached to the RT. I was thinking, why not give your recievers icon attached to the LT, LB, RT, RB buttons. Then to throw to said reciever, you use the RTS, NHL09 style. Then you could also lead (or misfire) and pump fake specific recievers. Before you come at me with what about the fifth reciever, this could be attached to a reciever who might be the bail out on a blitz, and while viewing coach view or whatever preplay with RT, you could choose that reciever as your bailout option.

Is this dumb?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: I have what is probably a terrible idea...

I don't understand what this means, not to say I hate it. But people wouldn't like it cause it would "complicate" things. But I love any feature that requires more skill to win rather than just a highlight stick driven touchdown game(cone vision).
Old 09-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Rookie

I'm not sure if that is pro cone vision or not, but maybe you could use the cone to show what reciever you're eye ballin when you press that correspoding button. Way to put two and two together, I think this could lead to six.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 21

I don't understand any of the original post

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 09-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 12

I don't know... it sounds interesting, but I'm not sure that I like having the quality of your pass essentially depend on how well you move the analog stick in a given motion. QBs in the NFL have been playing the position for years and years, and their throwing motion is down to muscle memory. They have almost the exact same motion/release every time they throw the ball. Including movement of the stick to throw the ball, while more skill dependant, is not realistic in my opinion.

Maybe they could make it optional so that you can use the stick system or the button system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 18

Right now we use the button timing to throw either a bullet/lob, and we use the left stick to lead the receiver in each direction.

Your idea does not improve upon the current setup at all. If you think it does, please explain in which ways.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
Rookie

All right... I'll try again... LT=left trigger, lb=left bumper, etc.

Speaking of in game controller. Right now the 5 recievers (on XBOX) are mapped to A, B, X, Y, and LB. You press that button, the quarterback throws the pass, strength of which is pressure sensitive (lob or dart).

My proposal would be...

Instead of abxyLB, map each of your recievers to LT, LB, RT, RB. For example, 3 Wr, 1 TE, 1 HB set. Lets say Chad is lined up wide left and we'll map LT to him. We'll put Coles in the slot and we'll map LB to him. Henry wide right and mapped to RT. Coffman at TE and mapped to RB. This would make our HB Benson mapped to A. To throw, think of NHL09 and the shot stick. Or total control stick or whatever gimmicky name they gave a great feature.

Scenario 1:

As Carson Palmer, I drop back to pass. I choose to throw to Chad Ochocinco who is running a fly pattern. He takes an outside release and burns the corner. I press and hold LT, which means I'm looking at Chad. I pull back on the right thumb stick and push forward (like you might do a slap shot).

Scenario 2:

Let's say instead of throwing to Chad, I want to hit Henry on a slant. I pull Rt, and push forward (straight up) to hit Henry with a very fast strike (like a wrist shot).

Scenario 3:

I am being being blitzed and want to throw to my "hot" route. In this case, I've got Benson hitting the flats. As a QB, if I'm blitzed and need an immediate bailout, instead of having time to actually make reads and choose my best option, I simply press A and Carson will throw to Benson in the flats.

However, preplay, I would be able to choose which of these recievers would be my "hot" reciever. This would prevent me from being able to just hit any button when I'm blitzed ala RoboQB and I'll have to read the defense and what blitz they appear to be coming with.

Does that make more sense?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang911
Right now we use the button timing to throw either a bullet/lob, and we use the left stick to lead the receiver in each direction.

Your idea does not improve upon the current setup at all. If you think it does, please explain in which ways.
Feel free to feel differently, but the only time I feel like I can "lead" the reciever or place the ball where I want it to go, is when I'm throwing deep. I may wrong, it happened once before. I'd rather not get into that, however, as it was a complete mess.

Anyways, it was just a brain storm from a post in another thread. After reading that, I thought of the shot stick in NHL09 and thought how that seems to accurately represent what a hockey player can do with the stick, how might that work in Madden as a quarterback?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »