Home

Help with Salary Cap

This is a discussion on Help with Salary Cap within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Banned

UMCanes93's Arena

OVR: 6
Help with Salary Cap

I've had to resort to turning it off because every time I do a franchise, I end up going through a couple seasons making no trades/releases/free agent signings, and just resigning my players, and I end up exceeding the cap and not being able to sign any draft picks..any tips?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Help with Salary Cap

Trade or don't resign your old/vet players as they cost the most. Resign players with 1 to 2 years to longer contracts (will typically reduce the CAP for the current year).

Then again, I'm not the best person to be providing advice as to how to stay under the CAP. --> http://www.operationsports.com/forum...franchise.html
Old 02-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

The only tips I've got are as follows:

1) Don't resign backups unless they're a) young and b) have A potential. More often than not you can pick up replacements in the draft for much, much cheaper that you would pay to resign your current players

2) Avoid resigning starters who aren't in the 90's overall. The quickest way to cap troubles is shelling out $8M a year for guys like Jeff Backus.

3) Hawk for sleepers in rounds 3-7. Most drafts have high potential players or outright studs dotting the later rounds; you can sign these guys for nearly nothing and stack your roster with strong starters on the cheap. (If you don't mind a little cheese, signing late rounders to 7 year contracts with 0 signing bonus can pay off huge)

4) In the free agent signing period, only go after guys who a) are 95+ overall and b) fill an immediate need, otherwise you'll end up overpaying.

Really, most seasons I only resign a handful (2-4) of key players, and let everyone else walk. Most seasons you'll replace the backups in the draft, and you can go to the free agent list after the fact to fill in the gaps. Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Resign players with 1 to 2 years to longer contracts (will typically reduce the CAP for the current year).
[/url]
One downside to doing this is that you'll end up paying more in the long run (you pay the entire remaining signing bonus plus whatever is on the new contract). It will drop your cap for the current year, but it will give you more problems down the road, so it's something to do when you really have no other options.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Banned

UMCanes93's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossdiligently
The only tips I've got are as follows:

1) Don't resign backups unless they're a) young and b) have A potential. More often than not you can pick up replacements in the draft for much, much cheaper that you would pay to resign your current players

2) Avoid resigning starters who aren't in the 90's overall. The quickest way to cap troubles is shelling out $8M a year for guys like Jeff Backus.

3) Hawk for sleepers in rounds 3-7. Most drafts have high potential players or outright studs dotting the later rounds; you can sign these guys for nearly nothing and stack your roster with strong starters on the cheap. (If you don't mind a little cheese, signing late rounders to 7 year contracts with 0 signing bonus can pay off huge)

4) In the free agent signing period, only go after guys who a) are 95+ overall and b) fill an immediate need, otherwise you'll end up overpaying.

Really, most seasons I only resign a handful (2-4) of key players, and let everyone else walk. Most seasons you'll replace the backups in the draft, and you can go to the free agent list after the fact to fill in the gaps. Hope this helps.
I import my draft classes from NCAA 10, so there aren't any sleepers, any player drafted pass the 3rd round is almost always C potential or lower
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMCanes93
I import my draft classes from NCAA 10, so there aren't any sleepers, any player drafted pass the 3rd round is almost always C potential or lower
is it really ALWAYS like that?
Old 02-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
Banned

UMCanes93's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3
is it really ALWAYS like that?

Yes, it's very frustrating
Old 02-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMCanes93
Yes, it's very frustrating
this isn't totally true. I play with NCAA draft classes and all but my 7th round pick were B potential. That said, after the 2nd round, all my picks were mid-to-low 60's OVR or worse. I drafted 32nd overall and my top pick was Sergio Kindle, 74 OVR B potential

#GoPackGo

Last edited by thekodinator; 02-06-2010 at 08:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »