Home

Madden NFL 13 - Victor Lugo Talks About the Infinity Engine and Kinect

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 13 - Victor Lugo Talks About the Infinity Engine and Kinect within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Madden NFL 13 - Victor Lugo Talks About the Infinity Engine and Kinect

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tec...-engine-kinect

Quote:
What’s your favorite sequence that you’ve seen in “Madden 13” so far that you’ve never seen in “Madden” before?

My favorite sequence so far was a short goal-line play from about 3 yards out. I ran up the middle, but I get hit and it looks like I’m stopped right at the goal line. But the guy hit me in the direction of the end zone and I end up rolling on an opposing teammate’s helmet, and I roll right into the end zone for the touchdown. In the past, I would’ve just hit the ground and that would’ve been the end of it, but I just rolled right off of this dude’s head to score. It was fantastic.

How do the Kinect controls work with two players or with other people in the room? Can I just start shouting out player names and routes to throw my buddy off?

[Laughs.] Yeah, you’re going to need to tell your little brother to shut up, especially if he’s in the background. This year, we support the Kinect with single player, and with head-to-head online. What we decided to do with online is, you can talk and have a conversation all throughout the play and through play call, but then once you line up we mute you out for that 20 seconds before you snap the ball so you don’t hear what the other person is saying, and it also defends against you yelling hike through and having it get picked up through their surround sound speakers. We eliminate all of the trolling that way, but like I said there’s nothing you can do to defend against your brother. You’ll just need to find a way to shut him up.
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by Steve_OS; 08-07-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Pro

moneal2001's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Madden NFL 13 - Victor Lugo Talks About the Infinity Engine and Kinect

to people asking about weight and momentum factoring in to collisions

Quote:
The way tacklers bounce off of running backs like Frank Gore, and the ability to spin receivers in the air with a vicious hit is pretty sweet. What else can gamers expect to see?

Because we factor in momentum and weight and we also factor in tensions based on what they’re doing, you’re going to see so much variety. You’ll see Frank Gore run over a lot of people this year. By the way, we went to college at the exact same time at The U, so I use him all the time to run people over and he’s featured in all of our videos. You’ll also see a lot of great stuff when receivers are up in the air. We set the tensions up so you don’t have a leg to stand on when you’re in the air, so that leads to all of the spins. There are all these immersive interactions that you just wouldn’t see in the past. You may be going to the ground, fall on somebody else and regain your balance and keep going. I can’t even anticipate for people what is going to happen because there is so much going on. It looks awesome, especially when you’re up in the air.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 10

they can talk about it all they want. thats what they are good at and get paid to do, sell their product. until i actually SEE what they are talking about this doesnt have a leg to stand on.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick589
they can talk about it all they want. thats what they are good at and get paid to do, sell their product. until i actually SEE what they are talking about this doesnt have a leg to stand on.

Yep.....I think the dev blogs over the years have taught us that

The E3 and MUT Vids haven't shown me much in this area of the game

They love to use the word "Tune".....but I don't have much faith that its going to get much better before the release

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Old 08-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I won't know anything concrete about M13 or the Infinity engine until playing the game but WTF was this part?

“To not have an element that another game has gives people the right to complain, but I think at this point we have a lot of stuff that our competitors have had, and right now, we’re just concentrating on expanding ‘Madden’ and making the best simulation football we can,”

I don't expect Madden to be some other game but I do expect for it to use the best methods available to represent NFL football. Next-gen Madden has been a poster child for doing things their own way and trying to do things different regardless of if it was better. This bold is yet another way of saying, "we got the basics right so now we can do something different" but that's simply not true from what I have seen and you can't "expand Madden and making the best simulation football" without getting the basics right first.

The disconnect is that EA/Tiburon thinks people still compare Madden to NFL2k5 because of something special 2k did with football, so I guess they tried to copy whatever "fluff" from that game. However, the reason why people still remember NFL2k5's name is because of the way it mimicked real NFL football, from the authentic network broadcast to on the field representation.

The "stuff" that their competitors had that next-gen Madden still does not have enough of, is optimal representation of NFL football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I won't know anything concrete about M13 or the Infinity engine until playing the game but WTF was this part?

“To not have an element that another game has gives people the right to complain, but I think at this point we have a lot of stuff that our competitors have had, and right now, we’re just concentrating on expanding ‘Madden’ and making the best simulation football we can,”

I don't expect Madden to be some other game but I do expect for it to use the best methods available to represent NFL football. Next-gen Madden has been a poster child for doing things their own way and trying to do things different regardless of if it was better. This bold is yet another way of saying, "we got the basics right so now we can do something different" but that's simply not true from what I have seen and you can't "expand Madden and making the best simulation football" without getting the basics right first.

The disconnect is that EA/Tiburon thinks people still compare Madden to NFL2k5 because of something special 2k did with football, so I guess they tried to copy whatever "fluff" from that game. However, the reason why people still remember NFL2k5's name is because of the way it mimicked real NFL football, from the authentic network broadcast to on the field representation.

The "stuff" that their competitors had that next-gen Madden still does not have enough of, is optimal representation of NFL football.
and right now, we’re just concentrating on expanding ‘Madden’ and making the best simulation football we can,”

This is a question I would like more info on.....How much do they fundamentlly want to change the way guys play their game???.....Or do they just want to put a pretty paint job on the same tired old "Maddenisms" to give off the appearance of realism

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Old 08-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 15

@Big FN Deal, I wonder if he meant to say they have a lot of stuff their competitor had not had. But yea, the way it's said is weird.

Also, I hate it when people say because of the infinity engine, no two tackles are the same. This is a big bunch of BS! It's a lie and it's misleading. From the videos I've seen, I have seen tons and tons of tackles that I have seen in Madden 12 and all the way back a few years. The author writes this in the beginning of the article, and I haven't heard any EA devs say this. But still, if you're going to write about the game don't say things that are downright not true.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Banned

billsmafia13's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
@Big FN Deal, I wonder if he meant to say they have a lot of stuff their competitor had not had. But yea, the way it's said is weird.

Also, I hate it when people say because of the infinity engine, no two tackles are the same. This is a big bunch of BS! It's a lie and it's misleading. From the videos I've seen, I have seen tons and tons of tackles that I have seen in Madden 12 and all the way back a few years. The author writes this in the beginning of the article, and I haven't heard any EA devs say this. But still, if you're going to write about the game don't say things that are downright not true.
Very true. I've seen older animations and tackles more than I've seen new things.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »