Home

Run blocking still needs work

This is a discussion on Run blocking still needs work within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Run blocking still needs work

I don't post often, but I think the Madden team deserves a lot of credit this year. This is the best football game yet on the current generation. Lots to be proud of for Ian and Co.

But there are still some fairly major issues with the run blocking AI.

1) Odd sets like the 1-5-5. The OL has a very hard time blocking this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kOUNcQvqJo). Blockers will occasionally completely ignore LBs directly in front of them.

2) QB contain, outside rush for defensive ends. Sometimes the OL ignores the DE when he is rushing to the outside or in QB contain. This happens quite a bit on shotgun plays. You will see a three man line get a TFL on a simple shotgun run because the DE gets ignored going outside, then quickly cuts in after beating the OT. Overall there are still several blocking issues with running out of the shotgun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Run blocking still needs work

That RG blew his assignment - if that happens every time, then yeah, I agree it should be fixed.

If it happens occasionally (and based on his AWR), then I think it's fine. Sometimes the line does a bad job of "passing bodies" and sometimes will double one guy that doesn't need doubling and creates a free runner. That's pretty much what happened in that video. He went to "help" the RT but by the time he saw the RT had his man, the LB went into the hole that was made. I remember seeing that in one of the Steelers' (I think it was them) games where RG made a play similar to this on a much more typical set. The RG chipped the RT's man and let a blitzer come right through his gap for a clean inside rush on the QB.

The 1-5-5 is designed to create confusion with only one man with his hand on the ground, the other rushers can be disguised. Madden might do a bad job of expressing/animating confusion or missed assignments - but I don't think they should be removed - just tweaked if they happen far too often.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 55

I think the blocking in M10 is underrated. I can definitely notice the difference between players on the OL. AWR actually matters, and I appreciate that.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 12-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

Denial is sometimes a incurable disease
Old 12-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 9

I agree, the run blocking needs a little more work. I will get in the wide open with my running back and the guy infront of me moves away from the blocker. I wish we were able to somehow control the Full Back (or blocker infront of us) with the other right analog stick.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousluboy83
Denial is sometimes a incurable disease
Pessimism is eternal?

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 12-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Pessimism is eternal?
Not really...ignorance is tho
Old 12-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Missed blocks like that are based more on bad AI than on how high or low the individual's player awareness is.

That's why you see them happen all the time from just about every player that's involved in your blocking game, not just the bad players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »