Home

Stopping the CPU passing game?

This is a discussion on Stopping the CPU passing game? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-25-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
Stopping the CPU passing game?

It seems like the CPU has money plays out the wazoo on offense. I've been trying to find a decent slider set but the sliders make it seem like it benefits the CPU, and it's not going to make me better at defense if I can't stop them.

I've pretty much exhausted my options on defense. No matter which play I call, the QB always finds an open receiver.

Is there any way to balance the CPU passing game so they stop having 30/32 for 385 yards passing? It's insane
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Stopping the CPU passing game?

try blitzing an olb off the edge to get pressure and do bump coverage. works sometimes for me... and maybe every once in a while, drop 9 into coverage with that play 9 velcro, sometimes cpu will throw to a receiver whos not realy open
Old 12-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
2022 Clark Cup Champions!

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage
It seems like the CPU has money plays out the wazoo on offense. I've been trying to find a decent slider set but the sliders make it seem like it benefits the CPU, and it's not going to make me better at defense if I can't stop them.

I've pretty much exhausted my options on defense. No matter which play I call, the QB always finds an open receiver.

Is there any way to balance the CPU passing game so they stop having 30/32 for 385 yards passing? It's insane
Man-to-Man seems to work for me. I used to be a zone coverage guy, but the CPU would always throw these small dump passes for small yards, but get huge chunks over time.

Try and get man to man on the outside, and zone for the LB's and safety's. Then focus the coverage over the middle. For me this sometimes forces a dump to the HB, or a throw into heavy coverage.
MLB - Toronto Blue Jays 56-45
NHL - Colorado Avalanche 2022 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
United States Hockey League - Sioux City Musketeers
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Old 12-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage

Play smart football...

1st Down = Big Zones Packages.

2nd Down = Man + Zone Blitz.

3rd Down = Blitz packages OR if it's a long way, Dime Cover 4, or Bucs/Bears Cover 2.

Another thing you can do is the WR+1 rule. If the passing is killing you, go with an extra DB... Help to get coverages down, but you're weaker against the run that way... But if you combine this with the previous info, you can shut anyone down...

As a side note, if you blitz OLBs and stuff like that, you leave yourself open to quick throws... Blitz = Weaker pass D. If you don't get there, you're leaving someone open, bottom line... And the CPU is great at picking up the blitz!
Old 12-26-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingking77
Play smart football...

1st Down = Big Zones Packages.

2nd Down = Man + Zone Blitz.

3rd Down = Blitz packages OR if it's a long way, Dime Cover 4, or Bucs/Bears Cover 2.

Another thing you can do is the WR+1 rule. If the passing is killing you, go with an extra DB... Help to get coverages down, but you're weaker against the run that way... But if you combine this with the previous info, you can shut anyone down...

As a side note, if you blitz OLBs and stuff like that, you leave yourself open to quick throws... Blitz = Weaker pass D. If you don't get there, you're leaving someone open, bottom line... And the CPU is great at picking up the blitz!
I agree about the CPU picking up the blitz, however I have had great success blitzing the CBs in front of zone coverage on 3rd and long.

It almost always forces the QB to dump off the ball short or to take the sack. Either way, you're successful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2009, 04:00 AM   #6
2022 Clark Cup Champions!

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie75
I agree about the CPU picking up the blitz, however I have had great success blitzing the CBs in front of zone coverage on 3rd and long.
Oh yeah, its like a free sack if they dont have WR get open quickly.
MLB - Toronto Blue Jays 56-45
NHL - Colorado Avalanche 2022 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
United States Hockey League - Sioux City Musketeers
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Old 12-26-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

i looked at the routes available to slot WR, for almost every team and its shows why the cpu passes to them the most.

they run across the field away from the bump, and under the back peddling LB.

also they have the best angular routes which utilizes the route running quick cut animation leading to them getting wide open all over the field

compare this to the routes the 1& 2 WR have

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 12-26-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

QB accuracy slider at 22, Wr catch in between 25 and 30.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »