Home

Madden Sales Numbers 2005 Through 2010

This is a discussion on Madden Sales Numbers 2005 Through 2010 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Icon1 Madden Sales Numbers 2005 Through 2010

I posted a blog on the Madden 10 sales numbers, along with full fledged charts/graphs. Take a look at 'em and then draw your own conclusions regarding the sales --> http://www.operationsports.com/Valda...-through-2010/

The only thing missing from the charts are the PC sales numbers, and unfortunately it prevents us from showing the complete picture. If anyone can get the PC sales numbers from 2005 to 2010 then please post them here or PM them to me and I'll update the charts / images.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Madden Sales Numbers 2005 Through 2010

the 2005 was released on 3 platforms; the 2010 on 5 playforms, but they had almost the exact same numbers (2005 wouldve ended up outselling 2010 cos of the PC if we could count that as well).

i dont know why they would drop it for the ps2 when that outsells the wii.

the most significant thing was the drop that started after 2007. my assumption would be that the disappointing new gen releases in 06, 07 & 08 combined with the declining support of last gen games would be major factors in that.

i have to wonder how bad the PC version must have been selling considering they supported DS, PSP & Wii for so long.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
MVP

Amoo316's Arena

OVR: 19

Great breakdown Valdarez. When I looked over the chart one thing really jumped out at me and left me scratching my head. When we made the change over from PS2/Xbox to PS3/Xbox 360 the Xbox numbers tracked like I would have expected. We went from 1.46 units to 2.33 units, therefore sales overall have gone up on that platform during the time frame we're reviewing. When you look at the Sony numbers...wtf happened to Sony? 4.46 units on the PS2 to 1.85 on the PS3. Even if you add in the .87 units still going out on the PS2 the Sony numbers just don't make any sense.

I understand the overall concept and where your going with this whole thing, I just don't understand the ability of one platform to significantly fall off the table while the other showed expected increases.

I know this is a stretch, but I wonder if because Madden has had had a few off years in a row at the same time MLB The Show has been in it's prime, the Sony customers are less starved for a great sports game to play and subsequently feel less obligated to "waste" their money on Madden knowing they won't get the experience they are getting from another game.

Just a thought, could be out in left field.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:53 AM   #4
Banned

Pringles's Arena

OVR: 9

i am shocked that madden 10 sales are close to 09 since the box says the best madden ever lol.

madden 11 will not be a first day purchase for me i am going to play the wait and see game. now i might change my mind but all the hoopla that will soon commence is going to have to shock and awe me in order for me to change my mind.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:56 AM   #5
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milbut
Great breakdown Valdarez. When I looked over the chart one thing really jumped out at me and left me scratching my head. When we made the change over from PS2/Xbox to PS3/Xbox 360 the Xbox numbers tracked like I would have expected. We went from 1.46 units to 2.33 units, therefore sales overall have gone up on that platform during the time frame we're reviewing. When you look at the Sony numbers...wtf happened to Sony? 4.46 units on the PS2 to 1.85 on the PS3. Even if you add in the .87 units still going out on the PS2 the Sony numbers just don't make any sense.

I understand the overall concept and where your going with this whole thing, I just don't understand the ability of one platform to significantly fall off the table while the other showed expected increases.

I know this is a stretch, but I wonder if because Madden has had had a few off years in a row at the same time MLB The Show has been in it's prime, the Sony customers are less starved for a great sports game to play and subsequently feel less obligated to "waste" their money on Madden knowing they won't get the experience they are getting from another game.

If you look at the chart, last gen, Sony dominated in sales in 2005 with the PS2 selling 4.46 mil copies and the Xbox selling only 1.46 mil copies. This would add up to 5.92 mil copies in 2005(the pinnacle in football video gaming). In next gen, Sony is not dominating as much and some of those PS2 gamers have moved over to Microsoft, hence the increase in the Xbox360 numbers. Of course, if people are leaving Sony for Microsoft, then Sony's numbers are gonna drop. Nowadays, it is more evenly split between Sony and Microsoft. For 2010, Xbox360 sold 2.33 mil copies and Sony(PS2 and PS3) sold 2.72 mil copies for a total of 5.05 mil copies. So, Madden's sales have actually dropped from 5.92 mil in 2005 to 5.05 mil in 2010. This really doesn't show the actual drop since Madden 2010 was developed for more consoles than 2005 was, but you can get an idea of what's going on.

Note: I didn't include the Wii's numbers because that is a totally different game and it's catering to a totally different crowd.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #6
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milbut

It's more so the fact that the PS3 isn't doing anywhere close to how good the PS2 was doing.

Anyways nice job with the chart Val. Current gen HD console version (360 and PS3) sales are increasing though they are not close to how sales were last gen and it's more than likely due to the fact that the 360 & the PS3 aren't selling as well as the PS2 did in it's prime.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:29 AM   #7
reo
Pro

reo's Arena

OVR: 9

Once the consoles drop in price, I'm sure those numbers will increase again . . .
Old 03-19-2010, 06:15 AM   #8
All Star

OVR: 33

You can sue if you have the money, but these jokers don't have a case. The lawyers are just bleeding these fools of their money for legal fees.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »