Home

Break Tackle Mechanics for Madden

This is a discussion on Break Tackle Mechanics for Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would The Proposed Mechanics Add to the Running/Tackling Realism?
Yes, it would be great to have a way to break a tackle! 10 29.41%
No, we can already branch out of tackles. That's enough for me. 9 26.47%
I'd like to break tackles, but not the way described in this thread. 7 20.59%
Everything else is broken, why not break tackles too? 8 23.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Question Break Tackle Mechanics for Madden

With the new locomotion, I'm wondering if the user has any ability to break tackles in the game. In APF2K8 the game differentiated ways for the defense to tackle a player, but didn't give the ball carrier any way to break the tackle once they were in the grasp of the defensive player. What do you think of this idea once the defender has the ball carrier in his grasp?

Scenario 1 - Ball Carrier Break Free of High Grasp (tackle)

SCENARIO: Defensive player is holding the ball carrier high (above the waist)

GAMER ACTION: The gamer controlling the ball carrier would move the right analog stick to the right and left in an attempt to shake the defender off (or possibly the LB/RB bumpers).
Animation: The animation would have the ball carrier moving his shoulders forward from left to right like he was trying to fling the defender off.

SUCCESS: Ball Carrier lunges forward to the last direction of the analog stick (right or left) to illustrate the extra movement the ball carrier was making to break free and the tackler falls of the player sliding to the ground. (A couple of nice bounce animations for the tackler would be a nice addition. One on their side, one on their stomach for example)

FAILURE: Ball Carrier lunges forward to a direction and falls towards that direction straight down. (Optionally, the Ball Carrier may be pulled backwards of the opposite direction they were lunging. More than likely this would happen if the tackler was far heavier / stronger than the ball carrier).

Scenario 2 - Ball Carrier Break Free of Low Grasp (tackle)
SCENARIO: Defensive player is holding the ball carrier low (only one of the legs)

GAMER ACTION: The gamer controlling the ball carrier would press the left and right triggers to replicate high stepping with his feet to break the tackle
Animation: The animation would have the ball carrier lifting his legs higher to break the tackle.

SUCCESS: Ball Carrier Runs through the tackle, leaving the defender on the ground.

FAILURE: The Ball Carrier falls to the side of the leg being held.

What do you guys think? Got a better idea/suggestion?

Last edited by Valdarez; 05-15-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Re: Break Tackle Mechanics for Madden

Popped in 2K5 today for the first time in years, and I was reminded of how the players fight forward in the game, via the A, A, A button. I dunno, I both like and dislike the mechanic. I like it because it gives the player some control over breaking the tackle, something I don't really feel like I have control over in Madden even with the ability to branch out of a tackle (it's random, and rare). The thing I don't like about 2K5 (and APF2K8 as well) is it's the same for every type of tackle, whether high or low, and the animation is the same regardless of the type of tackle you are shedding.

Difference of types of tackles is one of the reasons I liked the idea above, as it differentiates between the type of tackle, the user has to be cognitive of where they are being held (high/low) and then respond with the right movement to the high/low tackle. It requires a little bit of thinking, more than simply pressing A, and if designed right, then instead of just pressing the buttons as fast as possible, you could time the movement with the buttons presses with proper timing resulting in a higher chance of a break tackle success.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

If profootballfocus.com is any indication, I think tackle breaking should be relatively rare. If I remember correctly when testing sliders, the highest tackle breakers broke like 3 per game or so on average (Peterson, etc).

Most were around 1 per game. Madden seemed to generate those kinds of numbers if I turned breaking tackles way down, so hopefully ideas like these would make breaking tackles just harder in general on default settings.

I think Madden should foremost make tackling strong and tackle breaking difficult.

As far as the ideas you present, they seem interesting, fun, and intuitive and wouldn't make tackle breaking too easy. I'm guessing you'd have to move the sticks and press the triggers pretty quickly (or maybe that's where player ability and sliders come in)?

I wouldn't mind trying either/both of those scenarios and gamer actions.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
All Star

OVR: 33

Anecdotally, breaking tackles is quite rare.

It's usually arm tackles that would never have taken down the ballcarrier anyway.

Explain the difference between branching and breaking out of tackles?

In Madden, whilst your being tackled, you can attempt to spin/stiff arm/sprint mid-tackle (if its appropriate).
Old 05-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Really, only 1 per game? I thought it was around 3 or 4? I'll have to check again. Pretty sure that was a stat I looked up when I was putting together the NFL Simulation Sliders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
In Madden, whilst your being tackled, you can attempt to spin/stiff arm/sprint mid-tackle (if its appropriate).
That's called branching tackles in Madden. When you go from one animation to another.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Popped in 2K5 today for the first time in years, and I was reminded of how the players fight forward in the game, via the A, A, A button. I dunno, I both like and dislike the mechanic. I like it because it gives the player some control over breaking the tackle, something I don't really feel like I have control over in Madden even with the ability to branch out of a tackle (it's random, and rare). The thing I don't like about 2K5 (and APF2K8 as well) is it's the same for every type of tackle, whether high or low, and the animation is the same regardless of the type of tackle you are shedding.

Difference of types of tackles is one of the reasons I liked the idea above, as it differentiates between the type of tackle, the user has to be cognitive of where they are being held (high/low) and then respond with the right movement to the high/low tackle. It requires a little bit of thinking, more than simply pressing A, and if designed right, then instead of just pressing the buttons as fast as possible, you could time the movement with the buttons presses with proper timing resulting in a higher chance of a break tackle success.
Haha, I just played NFL2k5, first time in a few years. I played Madden 10 right after it. I clearly saw in NFL2k5 the physicality of the running game. It seemed like you were in full control of the runner and were actually planting your feet and finding the holes. Madden still feels like you are running on ice, and doesn't have the same enjoyment as running in 2k5, because it feels too effortless. On the other hand though, I don't really like the controls with pressing A for sprint. With the locomotion and the sprint button taken out, and also the oline run blocking improved, I believe Madden will surpass any running game system out there.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 13

I hope that ^^^ is accurate, but I am doubtful. EA has a long history of going way too far when adjusting things.

Deep Ball - whaaaaa tooo effective says the consumer - EA makes the WRs play stupid and completely without any aggression in going after the ball and "programs" DBs to keep up with far faster WRs! = horrible thought process IMO!!!

That is one example and I have not the energy to go on and on, but I worry that they will make running tooooooooooo easy and not give the defense ample upgrades to counter!
Old 05-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Reading the first post of the thread I was about to write a post asking you what you were talking about because you could most definitely break tackles in 2K5 and 2K8. But then i saw the second post and I was like, ok, he forgot lol.

Madden used to have the same mechanic of mashing a button to break tackles. I'm not sure when they got rid of it, but it used to be there. Gameday had it too. The branching tackles in Madden 10 was a good idea, but eh in practice.

Your idea sounds interesting. Something a little more complex than just mashing one button. It would also hopefully be a little challenging.

Breaking tackles in Madden and 2K isn't all that challenging. Although 2K tries to balance it a little by making both the runner and the tackler have to mash a button, and the one that hits it faster wins, it still is a little arcadey. At least the chances of breaking a second tackle are a lot less likely though. In both cases, Madden and 2K, it is pretty simple to break the first tackle at least half the time, and that's way too much.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »