Home

I'm Torn Between Loving and Hating GameFlow

This is a discussion on I'm Torn Between Loving and Hating GameFlow within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9
I'm Torn Between Loving and Hating GameFlow

On the one hand, I think GameFlow is a great innovation that really does try to capture some sim aspects. The developers are right: NFL coaches do gameplan and organize their play sheet based on certain situations. They don't enter a game with a big ol' binder of every single play under the sun.

Howeever, I think GameFlow goes a little to far. Instead of simply providing the user with a selection of 15 or so plays based on the situation on the field so that they can call the one they want, the new feature by-passes the user's ability to call the play and simply calls it for them. I don't like this. I don't know about you, but when I play Madden, I don't do it from a "player-only" perspective, but from a "team" perspective. Taking my ability to actually physically select the play is a no-no. If I can make substitutions, why shouldn't I be the one actually selecting the play?

Another beef that I have with GameFlow is that it will invariably not support packages. I honestly hope I am wrong, but I don't see how they work this in and I it really wouldn't jive with who the feature seems to be aimed at (casual gamers). Not being able to use sub packages will make my chances of using GameFlow plummet.

In conclusion, I think EA was on the right track when they thought up GameFlow, but they really went one step too far by completely taking the ability to call the actual play out of the user's hand, a big no-no in my book. The ideal solution for this mode would be to keep the brilliant custom GamePlan creator in place, allowing the user to determine what 15 plays will be available in certain situations, but then give the user the ability to actually select from these 15 plays in the game when the situation arises. This, in my opinion would be the perfect balance between "how it is on Sunday" realism and much needed user control.

Here's a brief example to avoid confusion; I go into GamePlan creator and go to 3rd and short, or whatever. Of the 15 plays I select, 1 is a dive, 1 is quick slants, and one is a PA TE seam route. When I get to this situation in the game, instead of the game itself simply selecting a play for me, I PICK IT MYSELF FROM THE 15 OPTIONS AVAILABLE. So if I know my opponent is going to stack the box up the wazoo, I don't get stuck with the dive play being called, and can target his 3rd string corner who's filling in for an injured starter by running the slants play. Or, if my starting TE is injured, I can avoid running a TE streak to a primary receiver with 65 speed. In other words I HAVE FLEXIBILITY.

In my opinion, this is exactly how it works in the real world. In the week of practice before a game, teams work on certain plays for certain situations. But when it gets to the game and a certain situation arises, these plays aren't just randomly called, but are specifically selected by the coach. That's really what my above alteration would lead to.

So EA, I commend you for GameFlow, a great sign of ingenuity, but I think you took it too far and took too much control from the user. If there's time, it'd be sweet if you could fix it.

Last edited by J Masta J; 04-28-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: I'm Torn Between Loving and Hating GameFlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Masta J
Howeever, I think GameFlow goes a little to far. Instead of simply providing the user with a selection of 15 or so plays based on the situation on the field so that they can call the one they want, the new feature by-passes the user's ability to call the play and simply calls it for them. I don't like this. I don't know about you, but when I play Madden, I don't do it from a "player-only" perspective, but from a "team" perspective. Taking my ability to actually physically select the play is a no-no. If I can make substitutions, why shouldn't I be the one actually selecting the play?
If you want to choose the plays yourself you can have game plan on and turn game flow off thus picking from the 15 plays you put in to use during a certain situation.

Also in terms of game flow, the rating you give plays determines how many times that play will pop up in the given situation. So while the CPU is giving plays at random it won't be completely random (unless all the plays are rated the same).

Last edited by Bgamer90; 04-28-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 13

Formation audibles are most likely still in the game, don't get too stoked or too irked until you see it first hand. Or maybe we will get more solid info after E3?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
If you want to choose the plays yourself you can have game plan on and turn game flow off.

Also in terms of game flow, the rating you give plays determines how many times that play will pop up in the given situation so while the CPU is giving plays at random it won't be completely random (unless all the plays are rated the same).
Reaelly you can turn game flow off but keep game plan on? That's not the impression I've been getting. It seemed like gameplan was simply a feature to aid the play calls for gameflow, but doesn't have any real power if you aren't using gameflow. That is, if I don't use gameflow, my only other option is to use the old school playbook.

And i realize it's not completely random, but it still is to an extent and takes much needed control away from the user. What if my opponent has both his starting safeties out and I get stuck running a dive play? Yah, I can audible, but I should have the option of selecting a play that works not only for the down and distance, but also for the specific personnel/game rhythm/time of the given situation.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard
Formation audibles are most likely still in the game, don't get too stoked or too irked until you see it first hand. Or maybe we will get more solid info after E3?
No, i bet they're in the game, just not with Game Flow, which makes it a nearly unusable feature for me. Think about it, if you aren't even going to the playbook and the play is called for you, how will you have the ability to sub in a certain package? you don't even know the play until you break huddle.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Masta J
Reaelly you can turn game flow off but keep game plan on? That's not the impression I've been getting. It seemed like gameplan was simply a feature to aid the play calls for gameflow, but doesn't have any real power if you aren't using gameflow.

"Another key note about gameplans is that you can use them with or without GameFlow. Let's say you want to play with the old style play-calling screen. If you do, the "Ask Madden" option is actually totally replaced with "My Gameplan", which then gives you all your pre-planned plays right there for you in each game situation."

Old 04-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
"Another key note about gameplans is that you can use them with or without GameFlow. Let's say you want to play with the old style play-calling screen. If you do, the "Ask Madden" option is actually totally replaced with "My Gameplan", which then gives you all your pre-planned plays right there for you in each game situation."

Ahhh...bravo. In that case, I think this is one of the best gameplay features in a long while (not saying much I suppose, but I mean it as a hearty compliment). Thanks for pointing this out! Someone should feel free to lock this down if they want.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

I love it. Good idea as I like the teams to kinda "do what they do."

Besides...you can always go back to the playbook.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »