Home

3 gameplay features Madden should steal from NCAA

This is a discussion on 3 gameplay features Madden should steal from NCAA within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Rookie

frankstallone83's Arena

OVR: 3
3 gameplay features Madden should steal from NCAA

After spending the last day and a half playing a few madden demo games I thought it was pretty good. But I just played a game of ncaa and there are a few things that really jump out where ncaa is superior.

1 - playcalling/no huddle. I know they're made by different teams but it seems odd that in the the EA football universe college teams run a better no huddle than the NFL. Having access to the whole playbook is just cool - so I don't see why madden can't have this.

2. - Strategy pad. I don't want to dwell on this too much b/c there are plenty of other threads for that but after going back to ncaa it is pretty bad. If they want to tell us they made it clunky on purpose I'll listen to their argument - just don't tell me it's not clunky; that's insulting to our intelligence. Plus it sucks going between the two if you play both games.

3 - Player Lock on D. This is another feature that is just fun - which madden is short on anyway (It just lacks.....zazz). I don't use it much in NCAA b/c I don't trust my teammates that much but I would totally use it in Madden. Just think if you could "lock on" Ed Reed or Eric Berry and be a heat-seeking missile. I can't believe madden doesn't have this. (They don't have this, right?)

Come on Madden....you can't let little bro show you up like that!!

Last edited by frankstallone83; 07-28-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60
Re: 3 gameplay features Madden should steal from NCAA

madden 10 had player lock on D. it was called defensive assignments

Old 07-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Rookie

frankstallone83's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnes12eaglesfan
madden 10 had player lock on D. it was called defensive assignments
Like it is in ncaa? where you can only control one player on d and the camera is flipped to behind the defense?

I don't mean assigning a safety of linebacker to cover a specific wide receiver.

Last edited by frankstallone83; 07-28-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankstallone83
Like it is in ncaa? where you can only control one player on d and the camera is flipped to behind the defense?

I don't mean assigning a safety of linebacker to cover a specific wide receiver.
no its not like that. that is def not in madden 10

Old 07-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

There's also a few others that I think are pretty cool that I think have a place in any level of football. On defense in NCAA, not only can you see the personel grouping that's coming in but they have the player's numbers atop the screen so that you can see WHO is in the game.

I don't know how hardcore Madden guys feel about it, but the "stadium effects" also add to the atmosphere where your controller shakes on a big 3rd down in a hostile stadium. There are places in the NFL that mimic that frenzied atmpsphere like Qwest Field or M&T Bank Stadium. Of course it should be optional.

And the "gameplan" in NCAA I think adds a layer of strategy to the game beyond just calling a play. You can direct your defenders to play tighter or looser zones, or aggressively go for a pick vs. swat, go for the strip or safe tackle. Good coordinators from series to series are always making minor adjustments like that that go a little beyond pre-snap hot routes that you may or may not have time to do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2010, 03:05 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 7

the demo barely has any stadium noise especially between plays , when the opponent has the ball the stadium should be going insane, but in the demo no screaming fans while the opponents qb does his cadence hopefully its fixed in the retail version.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankstallone83
After spending the last day and a half playing a few madden demo games I thought it was pretty good. But I just played a game of ncaa and there are a few things that really jump out where ncaa is superior.

1 - playcalling/no huddle. I know they're made by different teams but it seems odd that in the the EA football universe college teams run a better no huddle than the NFL. Having access to the whole playbook is just cool - so I don't see why madden can't have this.

2. - Strategy pad. I don't want to dwell on this too much b/c there are plenty of other threads for that but after going back to ncaa it is pretty bad. If they want to tell us they made it clunky on purpose I'll listen to their argument - just don't tell me it's not clunky; that's insulting to our intelligence. Plus it sucks going between the two if you play both games.

3 - Player Lock on D. This is another feature that is just fun - which madden is short on anyway (It just lacks.....zazz). I don't use it much in NCAA b/c I don't trust my teammates that much but I would totally use it in Madden. Just think if you could "lock on" Ed Reed or Eric Berry and be a heat-seeking missile. I can't believe madden doesn't have this. (They don't have this, right?)

Come on Madden....you can't let little bro show you up like that!!
I agree with all three.

Except the part about being a heat-seeking missile because then you would just go hit whoever was closest to you even it was your teammate.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Rookie

aldon_47's Arena

OVR: 2

Definitely agree there needs to be more impact in regards to a hostile environment. This past season, I was fortunate enough to attend the Vikings divisional playoff game at the Metrodome and the noise was honestly deafening and it played a role in the outcome of the game. There are a lot of tough places to play in the NFL and it would be great if that was in the game somehow, such as in NCAA. I know in NCAA, there are places I get nervous about playing in because I know how tough it is to play there.

I also agree there needs to be some type of gameplan options. Like it was mentioned, coaches are always making adjustments. Protecting the ball with a small lead or trying to force a turnover when trailing, those are keys in NFL games and it would be cool to see that in Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »