Home

What is wrong with the defense?

This is a discussion on What is wrong with the defense? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #145
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: What is wrong with the defense?

Defensive battles are so much more FUN than offensive games.

Please include defensive upgrades to patch #1. Just don't go overboard again and make every defender play in god mode. Ratings need to matter and this is actually just what everyone's looking for.

Last edited by Blue_Monkey; 08-14-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #146
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got The Goods
I think there is some defensive problems but I also think frankly you guys are fairly noobish playing defense.
I doubt we have 15 pages worth of people that are noobs. I have been playing madden and NCAA since they first came out. So far this installment of Madden seems to be to most score happy of any of them

Quote:
I am the kind of person who rather be on defense than offense. I haven't played many games but no one has scored more than 28 on me. I have put up big numbers on other players but probably because they don't put as much emphasis on defense.
I love to play defense too. That's why this is an issue for me.

Quote:
I could of been vsing noobs for the most part, not really sure though. I'll have to play more and see but I think it's really not far off other Madden's defensively. Also defense is harder than offense in real life and it should be on video games as well. There are too many broken tackles though.
I've used the Rams in four online games. Every game I scored over 40 and one game I scored 65. When you use the worst team on the game it shouldn't be that easy to score. It's not a matter of people being "noobs", it's a matter of missed tackles, defenders that react like they are in quicksand, and DB's that will let receivers make catches even when they are right next to them.

The DB play baffles me. Sometimes they will actually bat the ball down but other times they won't even make a play when they are in position and let the receiver catch the ball. I have noticed this a lot on deep corner routes.

Quote:
One last note, if you don't want your opponent scoring every second why don't you try to run some clock on offense? Just a thought.
I've tried this, problem is, I broke back to back 68 and 80 yards runs. This was near the end of the game when my opponent knew I was going to run and still couldn't stop me even though he had 11 players in the box.

I like to control the clock and play good defense. That's why I'm posting in this thread. I feel like it's an issue that needs to be addressed. I'm having fun with the game I just feel like it could use a little more balance.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
Old 08-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #147
Rookie

OVR: 1

I've turned off auto strafe and auto sprint, I haven't had problems with positioning myself to make a tackle on defense. In fact i've noticed a momentum issue much more in NCAA then Madden this year. What I DO have a problem with is the amount of broken tackles Chris Johnson has and how the good TE's catch ANYTHING.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #148
Rookie

Ronnie brown23's Arena

OVR: 3

the zones are terrible. players simply dont play thier zones. buzz zones are just completey broken. i love how i call cover 4 to defend against corner routes and the guy in the buz zone tries to jump a 10 yd out route everytime. or worse he just stops moving and lets a wr run right past him.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #149
Rookie

OVR: 2

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents and add to the general sentiments here.

The defense is non-existent.

Games on All-Madden, mind you, are usually 49-45 type shootouts.

The QB ALWAYS throws the ball to no one to avoid a sack and it always works.

NCAA had that problem, but really made a difference with the patch.

Anyway, defense in every single aspect and phase is pretty much irrelevant.

As someone else said in this thread, how they test these games and see this and still ship it this way is embarrassing.

There is no excuse for that.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:43 AM   #150
Banned

OVR: 7

The defense is completely ******** this year, the cpu does not adjust to humans doing the same play over and over again, they cannot play zone the middle is still wide open in the zones, its impossible to stop someone throwing crossing routes, and if you stop that, they go to the flats to the running backs, and if you stop both you're probably getting zero pressure on the Qb so they either run for the 1st down, or a receiver comes wide open in the middle.

And you cannot do press defense this year, when you press a wr, when the wr releases from the db press, the db goes into a locomotion animation slowing them down while the receiver streaks wide open.

And you the the defense is bad in this game when your opponent will let you score at the end of the game just so they can have the ball last and go for the win.

Last edited by big_larry; 08-16-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:49 AM   #151
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'll agree. Play on All Madden, and I had to SERIOUSLY adjust the sliders just to make the game playable. I'm talking Mike Karney breaking 5 tackles on the way to a 55 yard touchdown (not hit stick tackles - regular tackles). After 4 games having a 14.3 rushing avg. against and negative something or other with Cadillac because the D-line would BLOW UP my O-line and my RB would get tackled in the backfield on almost every play.

I normally play on All Madden and while there's always a learning curve on a new Madden, this stuff is just beyond me. Typically my learning curve involves running past tackles and bad INTs. The frustration I'm having now is entirely AI: can't tackle, can't stop the run (because O-line destroys my D-line), and can't run the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2010, 03:09 AM   #152
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by btemp
I'll agree. Play on All Madden, and I had to SERIOUSLY adjust the sliders just to make the game playable. I'm talking Mike Karney breaking 5 tackles on the way to a 55 yard touchdown (not hit stick tackles - regular tackles). After 4 games having a 14.3 rushing avg. against and negative something or other with Cadillac because the D-line would BLOW UP my O-line and my RB would get tackled in the backfield on almost every play.

I normally play on All Madden and while there's always a learning curve on a new Madden, this stuff is just beyond me. Typically my learning curve involves running past tackles and bad INTs. The frustration I'm having now is entirely AI: can't tackle, can't stop the run (because O-line destroys my D-line), and can't run the ball.
This.

And turning it down to All-Pro makes it way too unbalanced in the other direction. I play on All-Madden, and the CPU scores EVERY POSSESSION, CPU HB's average 7 yards per carry or more, CPU WR's have 100+ receiving yards by the end of the 1st quarter.

Turn it down to All-Pro and the CPU can't run more than 3 yards per carry.

It's ridiculous. Same thing on offense. On All-Madden, I can't get more than 2 yards per carry with Frank Gore, on All-Pro I can't get stopped for less than 6 yards per carry.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »