Home

Playing DEFENSE in Madden: Did they fix the...

This is a discussion on Playing DEFENSE in Madden: Did they fix the... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2003, 01:46 PM   #1
MVP

XBox_Roughneck's Arena

OVR: 10
Playing DEFENSE in Madden: Did they fix the...

reliance on player "animation" and player "momentum"...at least a tad, so my defensive players (I control) can actually react in a timely manner to what's happening on the field instead of continuing in an animation before the player responds at all to my controller input?

Example: If my linebacker is coming in to hit an RB before he leaves the backfield, but the RB does a juke, does the linebacker now STOP (as he should) then change direction to reflect the direction the RB went....or does he still finish his animation, which takes him about a yard further out of play before he THEN changes direction?

Notice...in my explaination of what currently happens I didn't mention the defender in Madden actually STOPPING to pursue.

This is the number one problem I've had with Madden the past two years and the number one reason I only play in coach mode.

Has it been fixed?

I HATE it! It's the one bloody thing that kills the franchise for me. Too much animation reliance. Too much momentum.

Please explain the appeal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2003, 01:57 PM   #2
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

Re: Playing DEFENSE in Madden: Did they fix the...

I hope they fixed it, but I doubt it. Although those with NCAA may know for sure...

I hate the juke move in Madden too, it's a cheeser move IMO. I use the "slight" juke move, where you sensitively press the juke button -- this is much more realistic...
Old 08-03-2003, 10:42 AM   #3
MVP

XBox_Roughneck's Arena

I was waiting to see if Madden fans would say this isn't a problem.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:44 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 5

its the same way in 2k series, but there you gotta "charge" it up which i really hated and found anoying.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:54 AM   #5
MVP

XBox_Roughneck's Arena

Quote:

KymeraGB said:
its the same way in 2k series, but there you gotta "charge" it up which i really hated and found anoying.

That's not true. In the 2k series you're not nearly as "tied in to the player animation" as you are in Madden. Plus, Madden has much more "momentum" controlling the player also.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2003, 10:56 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

The thing I hope they fixed is the suction blocking. And from playing NCAA, I don't think they will have fixed it in the area that I'm expecting. I absolutely HATE that when I'm controlling my Weakside ILB in the 34 defense, I'm lined up head up the Weakside Guard. I read the play correctly. I begin to flow to the RB on a strongside pitch or counter. I'm out in front of the Weakside Guard. I have my back to him as I am trailing the play. He takes 2 steps and somehow magically sucks me into him and now I am getting blocked in a direction that I wasn't even going. I hate that mess man. The bigger problem is, once he gets you like that, you can forget getting off the block. One of the things on my wishlist, give Linebackers some different moves to get off these stupid, cheesey a$$ blocks. Linebackers need to use their hands to shed blocks and flow to the play. Gosh that's the most annoying thing for me. And the magic deep ball to "stud" WRs.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:34 PM   #7
Pro

the problem is football games cant recreate ACTUALLY playing football so they try to get it as close as possible, but we gamers can always find something to complain about.

There will always be these little probs. Just gotta live with them and try to have fun in the process
Old 08-03-2003, 03:37 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:

KymeraGB said:
the problem is football games cant recreate ACTUALLY playing football so they try to get it as close as possible, but we gamers can always find something to complain about.

There will always be these little probs. Just gotta live with them and try to have fun in the process

of course football games cant recreate actually playing football but the problem is madden doesnt listen to their complaints so its makes it annoying to see the same stupid problem dat could be fixed easily tweaked every year. i used to be a madden fan but since dey neva listen i will stick with the 2k series. 2k tries to fix all their problems but madden puts a new mode to cover their problems. IMO Madden is a great game but if dey dont step up 2k will take their crown away.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »