Home

Man does the pass defense suck!

This is a discussion on Man does the pass defense suck! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
Rookie

Shizz420's Arena

OVR: 3
Man does the pass defense suck!

I mean, it's so bad, esp online...at least you can slider-it-up vs the CPU.

The AI doesn't help you out at all and you are just user-guessing. I mean you'll give up some plays but 70-80 yard bombs everytime? You have no control unless the other guy makes a bad throw; even then, I'll press Y and guys will either drop it or actually swat it down when the ball is just there for the picking.

The response time and controls suck and you pretty much have to play back off coverage and hope they make the tackle. Why can't this game adopt what NCAA does with the "guess the play" feature, alone with the "Gameplan" mode where I can adjust how each part of my D pass passive/aggressive? What is the AI just letting WRs and RBs go free down the sideline....in Cover 3 coverage? I've scored 50, 63, and 77 pt in online games.......and lost em all.

Don't the Madden guys work next to the NCAA guys? NCAA is a much better game due to the fact I have more control on the stick when it comes to defense, not just offense. I'm on tilt after losing another frustrating game but I guess I'll just not play online anymore its not fun I actually have to use Peyton Manning (kills me as a Pats fan) and just run no-huddle and try to outscore the other team instead of actually playing sound football. I play in an NCAA dynasty and I've had blowouts, but also 12-9 FG/defensive fests (we also don't cheese, that helps).

Don't they extensively QA the thing before they release it? I bet these are the same team that also messed up NBA Elite as well and pretty much gave all their business to NBA2K11 but cutting corners in cost.

Cmon Madden developers we dont want blitz where people are breaking 15 tackles in a row and cheesers just throw it dep every down and see what happens (or use motion to money play).

Yes I am on tilt!

Last edited by Shizz420; 10-11-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2010, 02:35 AM   #2
MVP

blklightning's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Man does the pass defense suck!

that's why i waited and bought nba 2k11. i don't know how they got defense so wrong this year. sure, today's receivers are amazingly talented. but they aren't unstoppable.

3 points for graphics, 1 point for the passable commentary, and a half point for the boxart. I can give no further points since the all over the place gameplay would ruin it anyway.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:43 AM   #3
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Yea the defense still needs some tuning in this game. All around also with man and zone coverage.

I still find the game playable, but NCAA did a much better job in this dept.

I would also like to add better player control would be nice.

Like I said madden to me is still playable I can get good games in , but I agree as far as the defense still needs some fine tuning.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 55

There's no explosiveness on D. It's extremely hard to get the offense to "play on their heels". Offensive players as a whole are too shifty. You can literally run a loop around someone and not even use moves with most offensive players. A change of direction shouldn't punish the defense THAT much.

Another example is just the lack of explosiveness out of their zone responsibility to pursue a dump-off throw in front of them. In real life, if someone dumps a short throw in front of them and they're ready for it (no complementary routes behind to be responsible for) the defender will fly to the reciever and light him up! This just isn't in the game. It's unfortunate. Seam routes are still too viable overall. You can sneak throws into triple coverage consistently and have even below average WR haul it in. That really pidgeon-holes your defensive calls.

The pass rush is better this year, but because there's still basically only engage and disengage, you can't really manipulate the pocket and contain the QB well. See APF for proper usage of this. Outer-most defenders often drive their blocker into the QB, leaving their outside shoulder open to disengage and get at the QB. It's fundamental.

NCAA 11 does a much better job eliminating this. I like momentum, but not extreme loss of speed in pursuit and any change of direction on D like it is in Madden. APF and NCAA do it a lot better.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A

Last edited by CreatineKasey; 10-11-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 7

Will probably get flamed for saying this.... but..... I think Madden has got the passing corect, in so far as the ball going from QB the WR.

Before I get laughed off the forum, what I think Madden has got wrong is the CBs. Watching San Diego against Oakland last night, and Baltimore against Pittsburgh the week before, I couldn't help think that when a WR gets open, it's remarkably similar to Madden (or Madden models this remarkably well). But in tight situations, in real life the CBs pull off some spectacular jumps to swat the ball away which you barely see in Madden.

The only time this happens in Madden is when the ball gets thrown and there are 3 or 4 defenders all milling around where the ball will land. If they only tweaked the algorithm that calculates whether the secondaries actually have the speed, the jumping ability to make a play, I think the pass game would be a lot more realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
MVP

erickonasis's Arena

OVR: 12

Agree %100 with the TC
Old 10-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy748
Will probably get flamed for saying this.... but..... I think Madden has got the passing corect, in so far as the ball going from QB the WR.

Before I get laughed off the forum, what I think Madden has got wrong is the CBs. Watching San Diego against Oakland last night, and Baltimore against Pittsburgh the week before, I couldn't help think that when a WR gets open, it's remarkably similar to Madden (or Madden models this remarkably well). But in tight situations, in real life the CBs pull off some spectacular jumps to swat the ball away which you barely see in Madden.

The only time this happens in Madden is when the ball gets thrown and there are 3 or 4 defenders all milling around where the ball will land. If they only tweaked the algorithm that calculates whether the secondaries actually have the speed, the jumping ability to make a play, I think the pass game would be a lot more realistic.
I will not flame you at all. You are 10000% correct. It's like they gave the WR's the ability to jump for balls, and get there two feet in bounds, while the CB's just watch it go right to them. The WR's in this game aren't the problem, it's the reaction from the CB's that is. Have you ever seen a sideline catch by a CB in Madden? It's like the WR's can make a catch anywhere, but CB's are limited to jumping straight up, swatting high balls, or making the over-the-shoulder catch. In order for the defense to be balanced, they need to have the CB's have the same qualities as a WR's, but with much worse hands. Also, another annoyance is seeing the WR's near the sideline go for the one handed catch and having it hit their shoulder. But, they could have had a 2 handed catch and caught it. There just is no user control in that. Which goes back to what I was saying. Also, a huge unrealistic element is seeing the football go through the bodies, and into the WR's hands like a magnet. In order for this game to go to the next level, these problems need to be straightened out. For this being the year of gameplay, they already should have been.

Last edited by at23steelers; 10-11-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

I don't know here. since the patch with most teams you can man up and press with no problems. The linebackers are again doing the doing their best super Mario impressions. In fact the game seems identical to last years now, except if you know how to wiggle the stick a bit you can run right threw the defense because they go into direction change animations.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »