Home

3 Keys to a more organic gameplay.

This is a discussion on 3 Keys to a more organic gameplay. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
3 Keys to a more organic gameplay.

1. Arm tackles- There should be way more arm tackling animations. Most broken tackles in real life are arm tackles not just trunking people. With layer blending I would like to see defenders that are engaged with a blocker reach out in an attempt to tackle or slow down the ball carrier. Also I would like to see unblocked defenders attempt more arm tackles instead of warping in position to make the tackle.

2. Rating specific moves- We can all agree that most ratings just seem like placbo pills. I think football games can learn alot from the basketball series and one is rating specific moves. Having a DT with 90+ block shedding will give him a different and more affective block shedding techinque. A CB with 90+ MCV will have a different and more affective set of pass defense moves and so on and so forth. And maybe most importantly they find some specific animations for blocking so you cant place a punter @ LT and have him hold his own with an All-Pro DE.

3. Tendencies- I have been stressing this since last dev. cycle. Having tendencies ensure your individual opponents plays to their strength and gives them personality. Add some additional ratings maybe on a scale of 1 to 5. Something like
  • Physicality - How often do they look for contact.
  • Risk taking - How often do they take chances.
  • Discipline - How well do they avoid mistakes.
  • Athletism(QB specific tendency) - How often does the QB look to take off with the football. If this tendency is low the QB will hardly run and will more often throw the ball away if a given amount of seconds pass or in the face of pressure.(because the CPU QB's never just throw the ball away) *this was more so for NCAA than Madden*

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 01-14-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 12
Re: 3 Keys to a more organic gameplay.

Wow... that's crazy, as I was coming to OS I was thinking about how there needed to be more arm tackle animations since that's how most tackles are broken in real football. Right on. The other stuff is great too.

Two things I would add though: Lower the effectivness of shoestring tackles and "stumble forward" animations.

Shoestring tackles are 100% effective in Madden, but if you look at real players in the NFL/NCAA you can see times where the HB will be able to maintain his balance and keep running, but that never happens in Madden.

With the stumbling animations, it's just ridiculous because A) They stumble forward for 8-10 yards, and B) once the stumbling animation triggers there is nothing the defense can do. I've seen times where I hit the HB at the line of scrimmage, but a stumble animation triggered and he gained 7 yards (and a first down on 3rd and 5) and he pushed 6 defenders aside during the animation, even though any of them could have fallen on him and stopped him to bring up 4th down.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
2. Rating specific moves- We can all agree that most ratings just seem like placbo pills. I think football games can learn alot from the basketball series and one is rating specific moves. Having a DT with 90+ block shedding will give him a different and more affective block shedding techinque. A CB with 90+ MCV will have a different and more affective set of pass defense moves and so on and so forth. And maybe most importantly they find some specific animations for blocking so you cant place a punter @ LT and have him hold his own with an All-Pro DE.
I like your post. Just curious about what is in bold. In my Packers franchise using Cullen Jenkins for an entire game I am lucky to get 1 sack. If I use Kampman (switched him back to DE) I can get 3-4 sacks consistently (Bill's sliders BTW, I just watch defense now as the sacks got ridiculous). I have straight up dominated bad RTs with Kampman, and bad LTs hold their own against Jenkins. So my question is the "everyone's equal" on the OL only for HUM teams?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleIt5
I like your post. Just curious about what is in bold. In my Packers franchise using Cullen Jenkins for an entire game I am lucky to get 1 sack. If I use Kampman (switched him back to DE) I can get 3-4 sacks consistently (Bill's sliders BTW, I just watch defense now as the sacks got ridiculous). I have straight up dominated bad RTs with Kampman, and bad LTs hold their own against Jenkins. So my question is the "everyone's equal" on the OL only for HUM teams?
I have never put a punter at tackle but I have heard people complain about it before. Either way anybody other then a Top Notch OL-man shouldnt stand a chance against Julius Peppers. As of now there is little difference between all-pro player from average players. And my point is a punter or CB shouldnt even be able to look like an OL-man techinque wise. It takes a career to learn how to kick step and punch just right and some OL-man still cant do it at the level some other do. This should be reflected in the game. So if I put a punter at Tackle he should get destroyed ever play. He shouldnt even know how to perform as an o-line and he should look like a fish out of water.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 01-15-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

Agreed entirely. I've never tried it either as I attempt to keep my offline franchise realistic. Thats a complete joke. Even a big K like Janikowski would get knocked on his @$$ every play on the OL. If I'm not mistaken this has been a problem with Madden since day one, almost 2 decades ago. Just one of those things deemed less important than features like Madden Cards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Agreed entirely. I've never tried it either as I attempt to keep my offline franchise realistic. Thats a complete joke. Even a big K like Janikowski would get knocked on his @$$ every play on the OL. If I'm not mistaken this has been a problem with Madden since day one, almost 2 decades ago. Just one of those things deemed less important than features like Madden Cards.
Basketball games do a better job. If you try to cross over with Yao Ming he will lose the ball a great deal of the time. It funny because techinques are way more specific in football then any other sport. And rating specific moves(and/or techinques) is the only way to differentiate between talent levels as of right now.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 01-15-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Having tendencies similar to NBA 2k10 would do SO much for Madden, it would really take the game to a whole different level by making players all seem much different.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:

Amen, brother! Well stated.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »