Home

Improving hot routes and audibles

This is a discussion on Improving hot routes and audibles within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10
Improving hot routes and audibles

Anyone here want somewhat of a change for hot routes and audibles? I know you can assign your core audibles, but I wish there was more control over what plays Short Pass/Long Pass/PA/Run would choose from. It seems I tend to just run my original play when I look at the quick audibles and all the plays don't work for my situation, or I have to hot route if a receivers route doesn't fit the situation.

Also for hot routes, would love some more options there. One I would like to see is just have to receiver sit or take a step back for a quick pass. Hate it when the DB is way off and can't take advantage of this because of the hot route options. You see it in college and NFL, if there's a big cushion the QB will take advantage of that.

Related to that too, maybe they should add a "Quick Pass" audible. Basically like the example above. You see this too on run plays. QB walks up to the line and if he see's that cushion he can either run the original play or dump it quick to a one-on-one situation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: Improving hot routes and audibles

You used to be able to change your audibles before the game...can you still do that? That said I used to in last gen madden. And I'd usually put a quick pass, quick hitting run or some formation shift that I know I'd use to my advantage. Not sure if you could do that now. That said, you've got 10 options on every audible. I rarely can't find something I need, at most a hot route one receiver or flip the play.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 05-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18
Anyone here want somewhat of a change for hot routes and audibles? I know you can assign your core audibles, but I wish there was more control over what plays Short Pass/Long Pass/PA/Run would choose from. It seems I tend to just run my original play when I look at the quick audibles and all the plays don't work for my situation, or I have to hot route if a receivers route doesn't fit the situation.

Also for hot routes, would love some more options there. One I would like to see is just have to receiver sit or take a step back for a quick pass. Hate it when the DB is way off and can't take advantage of this because of the hot route options. You see it in college and NFL, if there's a big cushion the QB will take advantage of that.

Related to that too, maybe they should add a "Quick Pass" audible. Basically like the example above. You see this too on run plays. QB walks up to the line and if he see's that cushion he can either run the original play or dump it quick to a one-on-one situation.
You are referring to the WR Smoke route. I totally agree with you that this route should be a hot route option in Madden and have been asking that it be included for sometime.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I know this is probably going to be unpopular, but I would really like it if they just got rid of non-formation audibles altogether. Teams rarely (if ever) completely change formations when they audible, they only ever use what madden calls formation audibles.

Hot routes wise, I'd love it if the hot route menu was different for each of WR, TE and RB - though in real life teams rarely call true hot routes, I think the main reason its in the game is as a substitute for create/edit-a-play.

One thing I would love to see is a "check-release" blocking system for running backs. It is incredibly common for a RB's assignment on a pass play to be: "if this guy blitzes, stay in and block him, if he doesn't, run a swing route". Obviously it gets way more complicated than this, but even if it was implemented on a basic level like that I would be a happy man.

Last edited by hampshire2012; 05-11-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

They need to limit hot routes on each possession..

Being able to hot route all your receivers on any given play is just ridiculous...HOt routes should be limited to the awareness of each player...The dumber the player, the chances of them running the wrong route should be higher...The dumber the player, the chances of running the wrong route on a hot route is even higher...

Take a guy with 99 spd and 25 awareness in the game. This guy will dominate because of the 99 spd, but we all know that you just cant just be fast in the NFL...

Hping awareness plays a bigger role in the game.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18

Very good point on the bolded part.

In general, they should use the audible system from NCAA. When you audible, you have access to your whole playbook.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

I wish they'd borrow 2K's control for hot routes. Point in the direction of the route, and pick the receiver. Knowing how they EA likes to make things easier to use, I'm curious why they never adopted this.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp23
They need to limit hot routes on each possession..

Being able to hot route all your receivers on any given play is just ridiculous...HOt routes should be limited to the awareness of each player...The dumber the player, the chances of them running the wrong route should be higher...The dumber the player, the chances of running the wrong route on a hot route is even higher...

Take a guy with 99 spd and 25 awareness in the game. This guy will dominate because of the 99 spd, but we all know that you just cant just be fast in the NFL...

Hping awareness plays a bigger role in the game.

I think they would be better served to just add animations to calling audibles and hot routes where the QB has to get out from center and take a few steps around the line and point to call it out. Then you are unable to snap the ball until he gets back under center, and the line is set for a couple of seconds like in real life.

Limit the QB to calling one Hot route or audible at a time, and have a similar animation play out every time you call one (have a little variety though).

They should also have animations on the road where the RB steps up closer to hear the call and the WR get out of their stances, and the QB walks further down the line to make sure he's heard.

This will add realism to the game. It will look much more visually pleasing than what is there currently, and it will limit the amount of audibles and hot routes that can be done, without putting a preset limit on it, which is more realistic.

It also allows the defense to counter as they know when you audibled, and you can't just do it in the blink of an eye and snap the ball.

And, perhaps most importantly, it makes home field advantage mean at least something, as it will take longer to call audibles and hot routes on the road.

Last edited by Only1LT; 05-11-2011 at 04:45 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »