Home

End of Game Commentary

This is a discussion on End of Game Commentary within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
End of Game Commentary

I wasn't sure the best way to title the thread, but I wanted to talk about the commentary in Madden.

Specifically, I wanted to talk about the final minutes of the game. When the score is close, I want to hear some extra emotion and situational commentary. For example, my friends and I have played the "Play Now" Super Bowl mode a number of times. We will have close games, and few things are as imersion kiling as dull/flat/or even non existent commentary in the most crucial part of the game. It's OT and Favre throws a Pick 6 or a game winning TD... and no one cares until the scripted post game starts.

My understanding is that this year EA spent time & money on visual presentation. Also, while Phil was still on the team, he said something about how they bought equipment to help them improve the audio side of things for "next year." However, Phil is gone, so who knows what will come of that.

Last edited by PGaither84; 07-28-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2011, 03:55 AM   #2
Rookie

chen_sc's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: End of Game Commentary

we all want this...probably we won't get this...at least untill ea has a competitor...
Old 07-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
Banned

Jibbler's Arena

OVR: 0

To much programing to do, its almost impossible to get good commontary in a sports game

I hate when the score would be 40-10 with about 30 seconds to go and a team will score and they will say *oh they might be making a comeback now its not over yet* yeah right
Old 07-28-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbler
To much programing to do, its almost impossible to get good commontary in a sports game

I hate when the score would be 40-10 with about 30 seconds to go and a team will score and they will say *oh they might be making a comeback now its not over yet* yeah right
Since when is this an excuse? I always thought it was like this (or should be like this).

Record commentary lines for various situations, i.e.
  • QB throws an interception
  • Touchdown
  • After long pass/run
  • Pre-game
  • Post-game
Those are just some of the examples I imagine them recording audio for. Surely they should be recording these same lines for different game situation and not just different play situations, like for a tight game at the end or a blowout.

That way if the score is 40-10 in the last 5 minutes and someone scores, instead of using the same touchdown lines as before (for the first quarter when the game is just starting) they might use the 'blowout' touchdown lines where the commentators mention the touchdown but in a less excited manner, or discuss the fact that it could be too late or something. All they developers would have to do is to get the commentators to act like their in that scenario and not just read every line as though its the first quarter.

I always thought it was a case of recording audio and commentary for different game situations AS WELL AS different play situations.

Could just be me though...
Old 07-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 18

Unfortunately the commentary will remain Madden's biggest flaw again this season. It all has to do with the antiquated tech running the spoken lines. Im glad to hear that NEW technology will drive the development of next year's play-calling. I hope to get something more dynamic, aware, emotive and natural sounding than what we've had to endure these past 7 years. I want to hear players names mentioned. I want to listen to "smart" analysis in pre/post game shows. I need to feel like the color and play-by-play guy are in the same space having a discussion about the action rather than loosly editing a script together in some post-production software. I've had enough of the spliced, repetitive and dull announcing in this series. Still, it sounds like something special may be coming next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Banned

Jibbler's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by briax87
Since when is this an excuse? I always thought it was like this (or should be like this).

Record commentary lines for various situations, i.e.
  • QB throws an interception
  • Touchdown
  • After long pass/run
  • Pre-game
  • Post-game
Those are just some of the examples I imagine them recording audio for. Surely they should be recording these same lines for different game situation and not just different play situations, like for a tight game at the end or a blowout.

That way if the score is 40-10 in the last 5 minutes and someone scores, instead of using the same touchdown lines as before (for the first quarter when the game is just starting) they might use the 'blowout' touchdown lines where the commentators mention the touchdown but in a less excited manner, or discuss the fact that it could be too late or something. All they developers would have to do is to get the commentators to act like their in that scenario and not just read every line as though its the first quarter.

I always thought it was a case of recording audio and commentary for different game situations AS WELL AS different play situations.

Could just be me though...
Yeah I see what you mean, also they would have to pay the people to commentate on it too more.. I like on NCAA that they accuse you of running up the score (wink wink pats)

Just on something different to this I HOPE the crowd are different this year. there is no difference in the crowd if you score in the first minute of the last second, same sound etc. also I wonder if they bring back Dynamic crowds so a 1-7 team would have a empy stadium

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »