Home

Franchise issue - teams SERIOUSLY undervaluing future picks

This is a discussion on Franchise issue - teams SERIOUSLY undervaluing future picks within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Franchise issue - teams SERIOUSLY undervaluing future picks

To give you the background, I was picking 2nd and had my eye on a franchise LT. When he went first overall, I figured I would drop back through the draft and accumulate picks.

Problem is the CPU is badly undervaluing their future high picks:

All accepted:

#2 Pick current year /// #3 current year, 1st & 2nd rounder next year
#3 Pick current year /// #4 current year, 1st & 2nd rounder next year
#4 Pick current year /// #5 current year, 1st & 2nd rounder next year
etc
etc

As you can see teams are paying willing to pay WAY too heavy a price to move up just one spot. I've accumulated 8 future 1st round picks by doing this so far. While I'm glad future picks are in the game its annoying having to set house rules to make it fair.

Anyone else experienced this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
The Living Legend

LivingLegend's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Franchise issue - teams SERIOUSLY undervaluing future picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampshire2012
To give you the background, I was picking 2nd and had my eye on a franchise LT. When he went first overall, I figured I would drop back through the draft and accumulate picks.

Problem is the CPU is badly undervaluing their future high picks:

All accepted:

#2 Pick current year /// #3 current year, 1st & 2nd rounder next year
#3 Pick current year /// #4 current year, 1st & 2nd rounder next year
#4 Pick current year /// #5 current year, 1st & 2nd rounder next year
etc
etc

As you can see teams are paying willing to pay WAY too heavy a price to move up just one spot. I've accumulated 8 future 1st round picks by doing this so far. While I'm glad future picks are in the game its annoying having to set house rules to make it fair.

Anyone else experienced this?
Yes, I was able to trade back a few times wound up with over 10 #1s in the next year and I was able to abuse it even more the following year.

Should be tweaked a lot imo.
Chicago Blackhawks
Old 09-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I used to cheat bad teams out of their 1st round picks back on last gen, I know I would make the playoffs so I would trade my 1st round pick to the lions for theirs. I was young at the time, so it seems the same bad logic is there. I did it with all picks actually.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLegend
Yes, I was able to trade back a few times wound up with over 10 #1s in the next year and I was able to abuse it even more the following year.

Should be tweaked a lot imo.
Its annoying though, if they took the general formula that a year is worth a round (ie 2012 2nd rounder = 2013 1st rounder etc) they would be alot closer than they are now.

I reckon if you drafted 1st Overall you could get all 32 picks of next years 1st round by trading down one spot 31 times!
Old 09-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
The Living Legend

LivingLegend's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampshire2012
Its annoying though, if they took the general formula that a year is worth a round (ie 2012 2nd rounder = 2013 1st rounder etc) they would be alot closer than they are now.

I reckon if you drafted 1st Overall you could get all 32 picks of next years 1st round by trading down one spot 31 times!
It's really funny you say that because I was just thinking the exact same thing.
Chicago Blackhawks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Rookie

imskykid's Arena

OVR: 3

Not sure if this would help, but this has a draft pick calculator and draft value chart that NFL use a guideline when evaluating potential trades.

http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcul...pick-value.php

As a house rule for me, I value next year's pick one round lower (1st rounder next year is worth a 2nd round this year). This is roughly how NFL teams view them, like when the Panthers traded up in the 2nd round with NE to pick Everette Brown and sent NE next year's 1st rounder. Of course other factors are considered (desperation), but it's a good rule of thumb when evaluating whether or not you are taking advantage of the CPU.

On another note... I've noticed it's hard to trade UP in the draft. One year I had two first round picks (16th, 25th) and offered both picks to jump up to the 8th pick (This was attempted at the start of the draft, not when it was their turn). The CPU was not interested so I gave up. Well, when the 8th pick came around, they traded it away for a 1st (19th overall) and a 3rd. They must have been slipping them some cash under the table or something, because I don't know what team in their right mind would refuse two 1sts and then go ahead and take a 1st and 3rd.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by imskykid
Not sure if this would help, but this has a draft pick calculator and draft value chart that NFL use a guideline when evaluating potential trades.

http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcul...pick-value.php

As a house rule for me, I value next year's pick one round lower (1st rounder next year is worth a 2nd round this year). This is roughly how NFL teams view them, like when the Panthers traded up in the 2nd round with NE to pick Everette Brown and sent NE next year's 1st rounder. Of course other factors are considered (desperation), but it's a good rule of thumb when evaluating whether or not you are taking advantage of the CPU.

On another note... I've noticed it's hard to trade UP in the draft. One year I had two first round picks (16th, 25th) and offered both picks to jump up to the 8th pick (This was attempted at the start of the draft, not when it was their turn). The CPU was not interested so I gave up. Well, when the 8th pick came around, they traded it away for a 1st (19th overall) and a 3rd. They must have been slipping them some cash under the table or something, because I don't know what team in their right mind would refuse two 1sts and then go ahead and take a 1st and 3rd.
Yeah I've found the same. When I re did the draft for real I was desperately trying to trade up for this unbelievable WR (85 OVR as a rookie), I offered #17, #30 and #34 (I think) to jump up to #5 and they wouldn't budge. The ONLY thing that would make them consider it was if I traded them Tom Brady. Which would kind of defeat the point if getting the WR as Mallet's development is going very badly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »