Home

Special Teams Excitement

This is a discussion on Special Teams Excitement within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Special Teams Excitement

In the week one games there were some exciting special teams plays. I know in the past the blocking was tuned to help this on Madden 10 I think. Over the years I have on this site people tend not to speak as much on the Special Teams. IMO this is one of the most fun aspects of Video Game Football and not having it "in the game" hurts my experience.

I want to be able to scare teams with a Jackson or Banks or Hester in the next gen the have no chance. On the PS2 I would have to kick away from these guys!

Why has this been overlooked consistantly over the years is a mystery to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Special Teams Excitement

Agreed. Punt returns are especially terrible. Not only do guys not block but, the defenders are super fast and agile making it nearly impossible to shake them. Kick returns are okay (I've returned 2 for TDs).

Also, it seems the cpu returners only run in a straight line. I should have at least a little fear when I have to punt to Hester, Cribbs, DeSean, Ginn, etc. But, no. They'll get the ball and run in a straight line and be tackled by the first defender every time.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
Rookie

hawkeye2188's Arena

OVR: 21

While I hate the punt returns because you cant get anywhere and I hate that star players play on specials teams I was thankful last night cause Hakeem Nicks forced the game winning fumble recovery td.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
MVP

Shaffer26's Arena

OVR: 14

Has anyone blocked a punt this year? I know last year if you blocked one that no one could pick it up. They blew the whistle once someone touched it as if it was a dead ball.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Nope blocked FG no punts I hear you guys its just I would love to get a game winning punt return just one time!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Rookie

Shankssta's Arena

OVR: 0

I blocked a punt once. FGs are too easy to block.

Return coverage is terrible which is why I never get a TD unless they kick it near the sideline.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #7
Rookie

bc3po's Arena

OVR: 2

I just hate the user teams AI for blocking on punt returns. They all run past the guy catching the ball, and then don't block anyone when they get into position, if they get back into position. What's really crazy is that i think they have the speed and everything perfect when the user punts to the computer. Idk why they can't just copy that
NCAA - Michigan State Spartans
Old 09-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

Yeah special teams are pretty boring.
I like how they added the possibility of getting a FG block. For many years on madden it was nearly impossible. I would have maybe 1 FG block for every year of madden. The only time I ever blocked one was when I took the MLB straight up the middle and he got through unblocked.
Punts are impossible to block unless you use Punt block and the other team is really close to their own goaline. They only have like 10 yards from the line and I get a few blocks this way.
Punt Returns rarely go for more than 5 or 10 yards. Occasionaly if I break a tackle I can get maybe 30 yards but I never score.
Kick Returns used to be really fun but now I only get one maybe every 150 kickoffs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »