Home

How do you stop the CPU late in the game?

This is a discussion on How do you stop the CPU late in the game? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
How do you stop the CPU late in the game?

I am no great Madden player. I fall somewhere between average and sucktacular. But with sliders, I am able to get a pretty good game. The CPU can score, but I also get stops. It is a good balance and realistic.....that is until we are about halfway through the 4th quarter, and the CPU frequently goes on a tear, especially if they are down.

Usually, I'll go into nickel or dime, and drop guys into coverage, and the CPU picks me apart. It seems that it takes about 4 plays and 25 seconds off the clock for the CPU to go the length of the field. If I am feeling desperate, I might send a blitz, but that is almost always picked up, and the CPU receivers are even more wide open.

Any suggestions? I have struggled with this aspect of pretty much every EA football game I have ever played.

I understand that late game heroics are not uncommon in the NFL. But they still seem way too frequent in the video game world.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: How do you stop the CPU late in the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I am no great Madden player. I fall somewhere between average and sucktacular. But with sliders, I am able to get a pretty good game. The CPU can score, but I also get stops. It is a good balance and realistic.....that is until we are about halfway through the 4th quarter, and the CPU frequently goes on a tear, especially if they are down.

Usually, I'll go into nickel or dime, and drop guys into coverage, and the CPU picks me apart. It seems that it takes about 4 plays and 25 seconds off the clock for the CPU to go the length of the field. If I am feeling desperate, I might send a blitz, but that is almost always picked up, and the CPU receivers are even more wide open.

Any suggestions? I have struggled with this aspect of pretty much every EA football game I have ever played.

I understand that late game heroics are not uncommon in the NFL. But they still seem way too frequent in the video game world.
Use a whole game plan that won't leave you vulnerable to late 4th quarter heroics from the CPU.

1st - Own the clock

Don't run for yardage, but run to keep the clock moving. On pass plays, don't go for the gusto, but throw short high percentage passes that work the area between the numbers also with the intention of keeping the clock moving. The closer you get to the final gun, the closer you want to be to 0 in the play clock when you snap the ball.

2nd - Play defense that fits your plan

In the 4th, force the offense to pick up short gains that will help you own the clock. Use man coverage until you get to the your 35, then mix zones in once the field shrinks. The CPU will be forced to throw underneath to move the ball, and if you can keep them away from the sidelines - the clock is still on your side.

3rd - USER SKILLS

It is my sincere opinion that the CPU players on my own team are inadequate, so I rarely, if ever allow them to make plays on their own. Use the O or B button to switch and make the play yourself. First, it eliminates the frustration of wanting to hurl the controller because the CPU made the wrong play AND it boosts your confidence when you make a good play. Most importantly, you get to be the hero instead of watching the CPU be the goat.

Hope these help you get better results next time...

Later
Old 02-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20

If the CPU is trying to lead a comeback in the 4th. If I'm in the prevent and the CPU is in a formation with a HB in the backfield I user the LB and Ill hot route him into a prevent zone coverage (basically he will drop back to the middle of the field where the safety's are) I do this in case I switch players after the snap so I know I have that extra man dropping back deep. Immediately after the snap if the HB starts to run a route Ill pick him up or if he stays in the backfield to block I may blitz or drop him back into coverage to protect the middle of the field. The blitzing as you pointed at could end up in a blown assignment and the decision to blitz really is based off of how successful I've been at getting pressure that game.

When the CPU has to pass I prefer the prevent or the dollar formation if I've been getting burned on the pass all game. However, if I've been getting to the QB and I have faster CB's then Ill use the nickel sugar blitz and user a safety to double the fastest receiver on the field. Usually this ends in the CPU holding the ball for to long and getting sacked.

If the CPU is in a 4-5 wide set without anyone in the backfield Ill user a safety and keep him deep over the top for the sheer fact that it is easier to run back towards the ball to make an INT versus trying to catch up to a speedy receiver. Not sure if your aware of this but I have also noticed if you hit/hold the strip button as the WR is making a catch you can usually force him to drop it. Sometimes thats better than risking a blown INT or swat.

I'm using Jarrod's sliders I say this because you can get away with different techniques depending on the difficulty level. Like if I was in ALL PRO I would set up in the man nickel coverage and just user my LE and kill the QB- if by some chance he gets a pass off I would just hit O and user the nearest corner to make a play.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 20

The best is how the CPU runs a 2 minute drill, and gets lined up in 3 seconds, and none of your DL guys get lined up. You try it, and not only does the CPU get lined up easily, you can't get the players lined up and a play ran in 3 seconds (which is realistic).

CPU is just ungodly hard to stop when they go 2 minute, no huddle.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

When I think the CPU is going to go into 2-minute mode, I call a pass coverage set (like Dime or some Nickle set, usually base or 3-3-5). Somtimes, I'll call a play with a blitz in it, though with my settings, I have to be careful because blitzing can wear down defenders and the hurry up adds even more fatigue. I don't want them winded and not able to range.

That way, I have DBs out there instead of getting caught in a base 4-3 set and have more secondary to cover the field either in zones or play man 2 deep coverage with he MLB in a middle zone.

If that doesn't work, I'll try audible in to a full blitz and with all the DBs, they are fast and could get quick pressure, which might force a throwaway or bad throw.

But it is tough, especially if they have a "Clutch: Yes" QB and/or just a highly rated one.

And like TNT said, if you have the lead, try to milk that clock. Even if you get just one first down on 6 runs, that's 6 * 40 = 240 seconds (4 mintues) off the clock. You can force timeouts to come out too, which can force the CPU to have to go to low percentage plays.

Heck, I have called a time out on defense to try to slow the CPU's tempo and give my defense some time to catch its breath or for me to change into another set.

Last edited by KBLover; 02-25-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 0

Ok, for Years Madden seemed to be fixed to win.. Like even in a game that has CPU vs CPU and the Home team always won..
Does it seem like that if now fixed or is it the same?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Thanks for the feedback fellas, it helps a bit. Although I still think the game boosts the offenses (of both user & CPU) late in the game. It doesn't often change the outcome, but it does seem to create artificial drama at the wire.

My last game was a good example where I was the recepient of the benefit. I am the Ravens playing at Pittsburgh. The game was a good, realistic battle. Tough sledding for the offense, but still a fun game that I trailed 17-10 in the 4th. With about 2:30 to play, the Steelers seemingly put things out of reach on a Mendenhal TD, 24-10. But all of sudden Flacco catches fire and we march the length of the field for a TD in about :45 seconds, highlighted by an absolutely horrible pass by me that goes right by/through two DB's who were draped all over my reciever. The Steelers were able to run out the clock on their next drive, so the outcome was still a Pittsburgh victory, but the way the game ended did leave an arcadey bitter after taste.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 0

When the CPU has to pass I prefer the prevent or the dollar formation if I've been getting burned on the pass all game. However, if I've been getting to the QB and I have faster CB's then Ill use the nickel sugar blitz and user a safety to double the fastest receiver on the field. Usually this ends in the CPU holding the ball for to long and getting sacked.

Last edited by dfryman; 03-05-2012 at 10:36 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »