Home

What dont you like about Madden gameplay?

This is a discussion on What dont you like about Madden gameplay? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2003, 11:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
What dont you like about Madden gameplay?

What do you not like about Madden gameplay and what isnt realistic?
I just tried ESPN football and the running, tackling, tackling angles, run animation are totally unrealistic. Almost gave me fits when the CPU QB stood still after two crunching tackles by my DT and LB and ran for a first down.

If Madden is any better, I'll trade the ESPN game for Madden.

Also, how does Madden 04 compare to Madden 03 gameplay wise?
Thanks

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2003, 12:29 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: What dont you like about Madden gameplay?

I agree about ESPN. The running is horrible.

Here are my Madden "complaints".

1). presentation - boring. commentary - boring (i turn it off)
2). easy to stop run but tough to stop passing. every season i lead the league in rusing d and last or 29th in passing. i get many picks though.
3).QB can make great throws off back foot
4). cameras are bad. they need a Pass Zoom feature like espn.

my complaints are pretty small as compared to ESPN. I just think ESPN has more color, excitement or something. But if you want to know when you drafted your star saftey you can go and see he was taken in the 1st round on the 6th pick. I love that about madden.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:56 AM   #3
Darth_Dorn

OVR:

I only have a few complaints, and surprise surprise, they're both on defense.

a) The AI, or lack thereof, for the DBs. I know there's always going to be a hole in the defense when you're sending everyone except your linemen into a zone coverage, but some of these wholes are absolutely huge. I'm talking the player catches it wide open, then runs for another 10-15 yards before a defender has a good chance at hitting him.

b) The unresponsiveness of the players. I know there's been a few times where I'll either jump with a lineman or dive at a player who just caught a pass, but the player doesn't do either till it's way too late.

c) The swat attempts. If a DB is computer controlled and running after a WR, and I switch then hit the swat button, he shouldn't stop all of a sudden and do the out of control jump and try to swat the ball. This ends up not working, and the WR gets an eight yard jump on the DB.

Old 09-29-2003, 01:04 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 6

Speed is the only rating that matters. Stud Defensive players don't do Jack. Running game isn't as nice as ESPN's. Presentation. Player models. Computer doesn't run enough. But I have both and play both they're both good IMO.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:25 AM   #5
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

RA3000 said:
What do you not like about Madden gameplay and what isnt realistic?
I just tried ESPN football and the running, tackling, tackling angles, run animation are totally unrealistic. Almost gave me fits when the CPU QB stood still after two crunching tackles by my DT and LB and ran for a first down.

If Madden is any better, I'll trade the ESPN game for Madden.

Also, how does Madden 04 compare to Madden 03 gameplay wise?
Thanks

You must be playing a completely different game then me because none of that has happened to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2003, 09:18 AM   #6
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

The best thing about Madden compared to ESPN is your backup RB wont run over Ray Lewis evertime and break 4 more tackles on the way to the end zone!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:01 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Yea, i know what you mean about the RB breaking tackles . . .
Emmitt Smith ran over my CB, LB and SS on his way to a touchdown like he was in his prime and more.
The CPU tackling is atrocious, might as well not tackle at all.

Old 09-29-2003, 12:13 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:

ra1000 said:
Yea, i know what you mean about the RB breaking tackles . . .
Emmitt Smith ran over my CB, LB and SS on his way to a touchdown like he was in his prime and more.
The CPU tackling is atrocious, might as well not tackle at all.

Yes I know what you mean about the terrible tackling in Madden 2004. It seems that almost everytime I run up the middle the RB breaks at least 4 tackles. In ESPN NFL 2K4 the tackle ratings have meaning and if you have good LBs you will tackle well. The inside running game in Madden 2004 is also much too splastic!!!

The passing game in Madden 2004 is better this year, but EA must upgrade the running game so that the touch tackles are gone and the break tackle frequency is reduced.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »