Home

Some GM Questions for Offline Franchise Folks

This is a discussion on Some GM Questions for Offline Franchise Folks within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Some GM Questions for Offline Franchise Folks

I'd love to gather some opinions here about how you guys manage your teams from the GM's perspective.

The first thing I'm curious about is contract values for starters and backups. I'm sort of clueless about this, but I'd love to know if there's a consensus about how much one generally pays for a star/quality/average/backup player at each position. I think I tend to mess this up in FA and screw my cap and roster up.

The second thing I'm curious about is how you guys build your teams. I'm a believer in OL/DL first in real life, but this is Madden--how many of you go by those principles? If not, which ones come first for you?

Third, I'm curious about different draft strategies. Do you guys go in and scout need positions, plan positions by rounds, draft best available, or something else?

And last, how do you approach trades? Do you have any house rules or general tips?

I'd love to hear responses to those questions, but would also be interested in this thread being open to a larger discussion of GM strategies, so long as there are no spoilers/exploits discussions, or general negativity toward this aspect of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Some GM Questions for Offline Franchise Folks

there was a thesis done on the nfl draft. outcome was scary. the chance that #1 rated cb was better than #2 cb 5 years later on in nfl was 50%. hence NE trading down getting more picks gets more chance to get success. however gms overate high 1/2 picks and overpay vs performance. getting a 1st and 2nd was shown to be less successful than trading those down for multiple 3/4/5 picks

i sort out defence first usually lbs/dbs. then a qb/wr/te. a good fb and hb. at least then you have weapons.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, I think the draft is a real crapshoot, and I'm amazed that there's as much punditry and coverage of it as there is. I just glanced over the first round from the 2002 class for fun.

Studs: Julius Peppers, Ed Reed and Dwight Freeney

Guys with some decent years: Roy Williams, Jeremy Shockey, Bryant McKinney, Philip Buchannon, Lito Sheppard, John Henderson, and Albert Haynseworth.

Then you have these guys: David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey, TJ Duckett, Ashley Lelie, Napoleon Harris, Robert Thomas, Ashley Lelie, Mike Rumph, and Wendell Bryant.

What's really funny about that draft, aside from the high numbers of non-elite players in the first round, is that one of the best of the class, Freeney, was a "risky" pick according to pundits because of his size.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I'd love to gather some opinions here about how you guys manage your teams from the GM's perspective.

The first thing I'm curious about is contract values for starters and backups. I'm sort of clueless about this, but I'd love to know if there's a consensus about how much one generally pays for a star/quality/average/backup player at each position. I think I tend to mess this up in FA and screw my cap and roster up.

The second thing I'm curious about is how you guys build your teams. I'm a believer in OL/DL first in real life, but this is Madden--how many of you go by those principles? If not, which ones come first for you?

Third, I'm curious about different draft strategies. Do you guys go in and scout need positions, plan positions by rounds, draft best available, or something else?

And last, how do you approach trades? Do you have any house rules or general tips?

I'd love to hear responses to those questions, but would also be interested in this thread being open to a larger discussion of GM strategies, so long as there are no spoilers/exploits discussions, or general negativity toward this aspect of the game.
1. I dish out big money for those that play well and consistently. Those that don't get released or less money.
2. QB, WR's and TE's first.I need to be able to pass the ball. I'm doing a Raiders/Titans franchise (both teams at once.) The Titans can somewhat pass and have CJ to run it.Originally, with the Raiders, I had Palmer making awful throws, and WRs dropping semi good passes. Darren McFadden, like in reality, lets us win with his talent. I traded Palmer and a 2nd to the Jets for Mark Sanchez, (who is bad in reality to me and good in Madden), because I need to be able to pass the pigskin. Which leads me to #3...
3. Do what you need to. Would the Jets actually trade Sanchez, much less for Palmer? NO! I try to play realistically, not scamming the computer in trades (too much) but I know that with free agency and the draft, the rosters will change no matter what. Every franchise I do, the Giants release Osi Umenyiora(?) and he's picked up by another team.I try to stock up for draft picks as much as possible, a. for the picks themselves in the drafts, and b. for trading materials (trading players+ a pick for another player etc)
Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Good philosophy. I run with Oakland, and I'm fine with where their receivers are headed, but I have having Palmer and his contract hanging over my head. I want to trade him for sure, am unsure about resigning Routt and Seymour, and would like to draft McFadden's replacement due to his injury issues.

Basically in that franchise I'm trying to figure out if I'm in win now or rebuilding mode, or a little of both.

Good points all, though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Whatever the offer screen shows, I offer. Granted, that's a part of my extensions "house rule" so I don't change the offer sheet. If I don't want to pay it, I'll let him go.

Quote:
I build through the defense first. I do like a good DL, especially DEs, but I'm mostly about the LBs. As long as the DEs can get good pass rush and the LBs are solid blitzers, that works.

LBs help against the run and the pass, so LBs are the anchor I build the team around and I put a lot on their shoulders.

Quote:
I usually draft by need, but I try to see what rounds the guys are projected, so if there's a good gem in the 5th round I've uncovered, I'll use the 1st and 2nd picks to draft best available, then take my uncovered guy in the 3rd (4th if my pick is mid-high)

Quote:
I don't do a lot of trading. Since I control all teams - on draft day, I hit "trade players" for all the 1st and 2nd round picks and see if there's an offer already filled in. I roll a die to see if the team takes it or keeps the pick and drafts.

Otherwise, I usually don't trade. Would be interested in some tips/ideas people use in this area.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Whatever the offer screen shows, I offer. Granted, that's a part of my extensions "house rule" so I don't change the offer sheet. If I don't want to pay it, I'll let him go.

I build through the defense first. I do like a good DL, especially DEs, but I'm mostly about the LBs. As long as the DEs can get good pass rush and the LBs are solid blitzers, that works.

LBs help against the run and the pass, so LBs are the anchor I build the team around and I put a lot on their shoulders.

I usually draft by need, but I try to see what rounds the guys are projected, so if there's a good gem in the 5th round I've uncovered, I'll use the 1st and 2nd picks to draft best available, then take my uncovered guy in the 3rd (4th if my pick is mid-high)

I don't do a lot of trading. Since I control all teams - on draft day, I hit "trade players" for all the 1st and 2nd round picks and see if there's an offer already filled in. I roll a die to see if the team takes it or keeps the pick and drafts.

Otherwise, I usually don't trade. Would be interested in some tips/ideas people use in this area.
Pretty much my exact same philosophy.

I only control one team, though, so trading is something that I will do, but only if the situation is right, like if I'm in desparate need of a skill player due to injuries and there's no good FA's to sign, I'd look to make a trade to bolster that position.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 04-09-2012, 03:58 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think the draft is a real crapshoot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »