Home

Have you done a fantasy draft before?

This is a discussion on Have you done a fantasy draft before? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Rookie

Guru03's Arena

OVR: 5
Have you done a fantasy draft before?

I am thinking about doing a fantasy draft and what are the pros/cons of fantasy draft?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Have you done a fantasy draft before?

If you run a fantasy draft and let the computer simulate it, it evens out most of the talent in the league.

When you draft as a user, you can take advantage of the system to target young future prospects.

As the name implies, it's fantasy. So, if you draft a good team, you should have one of the best in the league.

I am a 49ers fan, but when I play fantasy draft I like to play as the Bills, Raiders, Broncos, Chiefs, Eagles, Redskins, or the Bears. I try to build my team around a core concept. I like to pound the rock, use my TE as a weapon in the passing game and run the 3-4... which is perfect as a 49ers fan. I preferred hat style even before that was how they started to build the team in 2005.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Rookie

steelsnarf's Arena

OVR: 1

Well there are definitely some pros and cons.

Probably the best thing about the fantasy draft is the ability to build your team from the ground. You can be more offensive oriented or defensive. If you want to be a team with a great receiving core, you can do it. Or a really good defensive line, you can draft a bunch of guys there. Another thing I find beneficial is drafting a lot of younger talent, just makes it more fun than drafting a bunch of guys that are 30.

My main issue is that the CPU will draft the next best player on the draft board, instead of actually going by a drafting strategy or by a team gameplan. Like it would be pretty cool if the CPU teams drafted players based on a coaching scheme or by systems. For example a huge pet peeve of mine is when teams that run say, a 3-4 defense, will draft really athletic, quicker defensive ends rather than drafting a guy built for and specializing in run stopping. Like if you put a guy like Jared Allen in a 3-4 defense as a DE, he will not perform well and will not get a lot of pressure on the QB (in real life.) Or the same goes for a 4-3 defense and seeing the CPU draft a guy like Haloti Ngata and keeping him at the DE position, where he would not get a lot of pressure because he's not quick enough to rush from the outside.

I mean fantasy drafts are definitely more fun if you have a group of friends doing it, but there still fun in general.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
When you draft as a user, you can take advantage of the system to target young future prospects.
Incredibly true.

Whenever I do it, the average age of my team afterwords is probably like 25.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

The AI tends to draft by position after the first two or three rounds.

I agree that it would be nice if there were fantasy draft logic. There could be all kinds of styles of teams to build and each team is assigned a theme to go after... but you know... that's never going to happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2012, 04:25 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

At first just simulate an entire fantasy draft so you can understand when the positions will be taken. The first 2-3 rounds they just go best player avaliable at any position other than FB, K, and P. By round 4 all the good RB's will be gone. DE's and OLB's are gone early. QB's last longer than you would think. You can still get an 88 overal Cam Newton in like round 12. Safeties, MLB, and DT's last long. At round 20 or 22 Every computer team start drafting K's and P's. with a full round of WR's inbetween. Just write down some stuff so you can draft effectively. If you don't you will select a guy you could have waited 7 more rounds to get.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
Rookie

Guru03's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by football5680
At first just simulate an entire fantasy draft so you can understand when the positions will be taken. The first 2-3 rounds they just go best player avaliable at any position other than FB, K, and P. By round 4 all the good RB's will be gone. DE's and OLB's are gone early. QB's last longer than you would think. You can still get an 88 overal Cam Newton in like round 12. Safeties, MLB, and DT's last long. At round 20 or 22 Every computer team start drafting K's and P's. with a full round of WR's inbetween. Just write down some stuff so you can draft effectively. If you don't you will select a guy you could have waited 7 more rounds to get.
It won't let me see when they are taken on the PS3
Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru03
It won't let me see when they are taken on the PS3
Um, yes it does? Just sim through the whole draft and you'll have a recap immediately afterwards were you can look at every single pick.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »