Home

***Official Madden 09 (All Other Versions) Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official Madden 09 (All Other Versions) Impressions*** within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
Sony PSP version impressions...

They have a couple new things I noticed immediately.

1. Rookie Mode. There's a game mode for "noobs" where when you go to pass, you see all your receivers as the same icon - no matter what button you press, the QB will pass to the "most open" receiver on the field. When a receiver becomes "open" the little icon turns to green (covered = gray). So if you have 2 or 3 "green" guys when you hit a pass button, you'll automatically pass to the guy who has the most seperation.

2. Defensive Camera Angle. When you play defense, you have the option of a camera angle that faces the offense. So instead of looking down on the offense, you would look up at them, like you would if you were on offense yourself. Same is true for kick/punt returns and field goals.

3. Al Michaels and John Madden are still calling the commentary with the same stock audio from the past three years.

4. Same player models.

5. I saw a couple new tackling animations and unless I'm seeing things, I also saw what appeared to be 2-player tackling (I refuse to call 2 players tackling 1 guy a gang tackle). But there's a lot of the falling backward collisions that look dumb.

6. Some players take a while to turn around. If you're facing south and you immediately click north, it takes a couple seconds for the player to turn completely around.

7. Seems easier to run this year - the spin-move seems to work a lot better. They also moved the SPRINT button to the right shoulder button, which makes using sprint with the hit stick much easier then last year.

8. They brought back the Superstar challenge again, but still no Superstar mode like in the console versions. Just Exhibition mode and Franchise.

So, it's basically Madden 08 with a few tweaks, a defensive camera angle and a roster update. Still, it's the best handheld version on the market, so take it for what it is.

Last edited by Netherscourge; 08-12-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 9
***Official Madden 09 (All Other Versions) Impressions***

I just couldn't resist buying the last Xbox1 game to be made. Best Buy had about 12 on the shelf.

I have played every version on the Xbox, but the only other one I still own is 2004. It is very much like last year's game, but it is more than a roster update (which BTW, does NOT include Favre. You'll have to create him).

New features:
- Supersim. This will be really helpful as you can fast forward a possesion, and quarter, of a half at a time. It can be interrupted at any time.
- Sideline grabs. There is a screnshot on the back of the box showing this.
- QB avoidance
- No visible vision cone by default, but you can turn it on. I'm also happy that the cone is not there for the CPU offense.
- You can string moves together. Haven't really gotten is to work yet, but the manual points out how you can do this.

There are photos for just about everyone. The Packers have photes for Bhrom & Nelson, so rookies also have pics.

The PA announcer and Micheals seem to say all the names. In my game as the Packers against the Vikings, I heard Peterson, Grant, Popinga and others called by name. Good to see they include recent players in the audio.

The gameplay is very familiar. Not sure if any real on the field changes are in, but so far it plays pretty solid.

Any questions?

Last edited by matthewk; 08-12-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 11
Re: Xbox1 Impressions

Camera Views? Whats it got?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 9

Same cameras as the past few years. There is more than 1 option for sure

One additional feaute I found. You can save your pre-snap adjustments as an audible. So if you have a certain play where you change a recivers route, you can save that play with the new route.

Seems like the "old" gen still got some nice, useful features to add to what is already a stacked game.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk
- No visible vision cone by default, but you can turn it on. I'm also happy that the cone is not there for the CPU offense.
This is good. The vision cone should not be visible by default and should not appear when the CPU is on offense.

I haven't played it yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the original xbox game of madden may be the best madden game ever.

Yes better than the 360 and PS3 versions. There is so much more depth to the gameplay and the graphics are much more brighter, crisper, and smoother than the PS2 versions. (or the next-gen versions for that matter)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2008, 01:55 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 6

i have played both 360 and xbox versions and in my view the xbox version seems much better and runs alot better. here are some of my views

stadiums are still the same except colts new stadium (lucas oil) is in the game

qb avoid stick- i wonder why it took ea a year to put this in the game, i mean they put it in ncaa 08, and unless i was blind it wasnt in last years madden 08 game

supersim- finally something to make long games much quicker

superstar and franchise modes- the 2 biggest things ea should've improved upon but just left it the same, a game killer of sorts, but not a biggie.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:14 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Sony PSP version impressions...

I think I am going back to 08.

Features missing from 09 that were included in 08:

Accelerated clock option
Automatic replays of big plays
periodic scoring or drive summaries that show up from time to time at the bottom of the screen while the teams are walking to the line of scrimmage

Nuisance features that are in 09 that isnt in 08
The field (grass) looks unrealistic likes its nuclear green surface (a carry over from NCAA 09)
The annoying big blue circle around your player and the blue football icon that takes up screen area and decreases immersion

The annoying "status" screens that pop up after every play

The extra button pressing and menu navigation in play calling.

i.e. Where in 08 it would remember your last formation and play you called and you could just hit the appropriate button, in 09 you have to move the d-pad left to highlight "all plays" and then cycle through the entire playbook using the d-pad because X is the only button you can use to select anything.

The running game is way too easy. I didn't even look at the manual to notice the change of the umph sprint button and my RB would bounce forward back and forth between defenders for positive yardage between the tackles like he was on ice skates.

The game play is faster and feels arcadey and less realistic. It feels less immersive as a simulation of an actual football game and feels more like a coin-up.

There is even less time to call your plays on defense. Forget about using packages or making preplay adjustments other then the most basic.

You can't see the weather effects in the sky or on the field (no snow or rain) etc.

To its credit: 09 does add a few new animations but those few animations dont make up for all of the new problems with the game.

I'm going to give 09 one last shot tonight and unless I have some spontaneous conversion, I am going to list it on ebay and stick with 08. I haven't played 07 but I understand that it has better player models than 08. Is this true? Maybe I should pick up 07 used. Which version is better 07 0r 08?
Old 08-13-2008, 06:12 AM   #8
MVP

koebner's Arena

OVR: 13

Is there a roster update available on Xbox Live for this game yet?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »