Home

Instead of ratings why not just abilities..

This is a discussion on Instead of ratings why not just abilities.. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Banned

codyj123_321's Arena

OVR: 7
Instead of ratings why not just abilities..

I think APF2K8 had the right idea, as i have seen so do a few people on here. The problem with the ratings is what is really the difference between 99 THP and 93 THP? I can't seen one and the same goes for throwing accuracy. The ratings also don't really make elite players seem different from just average players. Madden 12 for example, I won a super bowl with LEVI BROWN in a first year chise btw. I played on All-star(I believe that's the one just before all-madden?) and finished 2nd in MVP race. What i'm getting at with that little story is that I shouldn't be able to carve up D's and put up MVP numbers with a 70 OVR QB. I think just having abilities like Cannon Arm, Laser Arm, Glue Hands, etc. instead of ratings would result in more accurate play styles of players. It's just my opinion and i would love to hear some of you all to elaborate on this further.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Instead of ratings why not just abilities..

Reason why I think ratings should be hidden and only 40 times, bench etc are shown. Like I posted in the other thread... Let us use practice, combine and games to judge where people are and have an area we can input those numbers that follow that player so if we rate someone and dont sign them.. If later he comes up again via FA or trade offer we can see where we rated them before. Of course only we could see what we rated them and not other owners.
IMO that would add lot more feelings of ownership and coaiching/scouting. Not to mention maybe rating someone less that what they are and not taking them then whatching them have a pro bowl year on another team. Oops..
That gets us closer to te real deal IMO.
We finally have where performance affects overall thank goodness and that is a step in the right direction.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 07-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Banned

codyj123_321's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Reason why I think ratings should be hidden and only 40 times, bench etc are shown. Like I posted in the other thread... Let us use practice, combine and games to judge where people are and have an area we can input those numbers that follow that player so if we rate someone and dont sign them.. If later he comes up again via FA or trade offer we can see where we rated them before. Of course only we could see what we rated them and not other owners.
IMO that would add lot more feelings of ownership and coaiching/scouting. Not to mention maybe rating someone less that what they are and not taking them then whatching them have a pro bowl year on another team. Oops..
That gets us closer to te real deal IMO.
We finally have where performance affects overall thank goodness and that is a step in the right direction.
I like what your saying. Especially about them having a pro bowl season cause that's another reason where rating fail cause you can't have any breakout years cause of what there rating limits them too. I can't recall ever seeing a QB rated lets say a 72 and then just play a monster season and then jump up into the elite ranks like up to an 89 or 90. It would kinda be like the NCAA gem feature but better. If that makes any sense..
Old 07-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Banned

StrawHat Patriot's Arena

OVR: 15

I really like abilities too.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.

I think the problem will become that it would then cost Donny Moore and others on the ratings team their jobs. This is why I proposed letting Donny and crew instead focus all their efforts on building and controlling a teambuilder styled site for everyone to generate their rosters from - ratings, editing in full, etc.

This would keep jobs intact, as no matter how frustrated I can get at game features in or out, I won't call for someone to lose their job. I just want their job focused better and done more to what makes better sense for their time, resources and per the goals of fan enjoyment. The website I have in mind would do just that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

I always liked the idea, but it's just not the way EA wants to do things. I remember this subject came up a few years ago, and the way it was explained - by Ian if I remember correctly - was that no matter if you have abilities or not, there is still a number representing everything a player does. APF had ratings behind all of those abilities, they were just hidden from my understanding. So, all you're doing is hiding that number from the user, but the CPU/AI would always have it when it evaluated things.

So, it's not really changing the way the game functions, it's just handicapping the user.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingteeth
I think the problem will become that it would then cost Donny Moore and others on the ratings team their jobs. This is why I proposed letting Donny and crew instead focus all their efforts on building and controlling a teambuilder styled site for everyone to generate their rosters from - ratings, editing in full, etc.

This would keep jobs intact, as no matter how frustrated I can get at game features in or out, I won't call for someone to lose their job. I just want their job focused better and done more to what makes better sense for their time, resources and per the goals of fan enjoyment. The website I have in mind would do just that.
Actually having the ratings hidden and letting us detemine what we "think" they are has no bearing on Moore etc... Someone would still need to program in the ratings.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 07-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Actually having the ratings hidden and letting us detemine what we "think" they are has no bearing on Moore etc... Someone would still need to program in the ratings.
In my vision, they would generate a base-roster-template like always and leave it at that within the website. We would pick up from there and do whatever else to our hearts' content (within reason, of course, as they would have to mod and control some things). The bulk of their work would indeed be modding and controlling the bugs/glitches/BS of the site like is the norm.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »