Home

Player suspensions

This is a discussion on Player suspensions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Rookie

RightWingPigeons's Arena

OVR: 6
Player suspensions

For me, the biggest thing missing from the franchise mode has always been player suspensions. It's never been risky to pick up a guy like Brandon Marshall because he's a huge talent and you don't have to worry about off the field issues. I know it might be a bit controversial, but I really think players should start getting a "risk" rating and you should have the option to deal with their suspensions the same way you do with injuries. This would also help make the draft a lot more realistic, since you might be able to snag a first-round talent in the third or fourth since he is a high risk. I'm not saying the game should outright say "D.J. Williams got a D.U.I." or anything, but maybe just "Williams is in trouble with the law" or "Williams broke NFL rules" or "Williams broke team rules." I think it'd also be fun to have the option of sitting the player on the bench yourself so maybe the commish would be a little more lenient when it came time for the official punishment. And perhaps this could affect a team likability rating which could affect your merchandise sales and money coming in.

As often as Goodell is throwing down the hammer these days, for me, this is a much missed feature. I know the NFL wouldn't want to highlight this aspect of the game, but suspensions have happened in NCAA football and MLB games. Why not join the crowd?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Rookie

bucknut88's Arena

Re: Player suspensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightWingPigeons
I know the NFL wouldn't want to highlight this aspect of the game, but suspensions have happened in NCAA football and MLB games. Why not join the crowd?

Actually, I'm not sure if the NFL would mind this. In fact, if they really want to bring awareness to Concussions they can make it so that those players who get a concussion have to sit out the next game. This is very easy to do, just like a broken bone where a player misses 10 weeks or so, just say Concussion-1 week. This is realistic and would let people know that concussions aren't something to take lightly. Its not a huge deal to me, but I could see the NFL having Madden do this.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Yeah it really would add to the game. Would love to see a system like OOTP where there's off field happenings etc... that directly affect the team/players.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Pro

Ky3217's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknut88
Actually, I'm not sure if the NFL would mind this. In fact, if they really want to bring awareness to Concussions they can make it so that those players who get a concussion have to sit out the next game. This is very easy to do, just like a broken bone where a player misses 10 weeks or so, just say Concussion-1 week. This is realistic and would let people know that concussions aren't something to take lightly. Its not a huge deal to me, but I could see the NFL having Madden do this.
First of all, something like that would depend on the severity of the concussion

Also, I know you quoted a now deleted post so I may have missed something but, what do concussions have to do with the original post in this thread?

https://www.twitch.tv/ky3217
Old 08-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Rookie

ozzy57's Arena

OVR: 2

I don't see them allowing off field problems. NCAA had something like this a few years back and now i believe the NCAA wouldn't allow them to put it in the game anymore. I don't believe the NFL will allow EA to put in off field problems because of it reflecting a bad image about the NFL. Although a ridiculous amount of players got busted for DUI/DWI this off season and I agree it would actually be cool to see lower disciplined players getting into to trouble I don't see it happening
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Rookie

bucknut88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky3217
First of all, something like that would depend on the severity of the concussion

Also, I know you quoted a now deleted post so I may have missed something but, what do concussions have to do with the original post in this thread?
It was slightly off topic. But he mentioned that the NFL would not want to draw that attention to those problems. And the ultimate problem in the NFL right now is the lawsuits about head injuries. And a great way to show that they are trying to raise awareness on concussions is to put it into the game that if a player gets a concussion he cannot play the next week.

Now, forgive me if this was so off topic. I have a weird mind, much like Zach Galifinakis in Due Date when he derives weird things from linking one to another lol. And I'm not even sure the NFL has this rule in place yet or if they were just discussing it. But I thought they were talking about forcing players to miss a game for ANY concussion. But they may just make them go through extensive tests for now.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Rookie

RightWingPigeons's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy57
I don't see them allowing off field problems. NCAA had something like this a few years back and now i believe the NCAA wouldn't allow them to put it in the game anymore. I don't believe the NFL will allow EA to put in off field problems because of it reflecting a bad image about the NFL. Although a ridiculous amount of players got busted for DUI/DWI this off season and I agree it would actually be cool to see lower disciplined players getting into to trouble I don't see it happening

That's my guess as well. It sucks though because it's sadly such a large part of the game. Nearly every time I start talking about player trades or releases, their off the field history gets brought up. Just look at Brandon Marshall: As a Madden threat he's amazing, but he's tossed around teams like a disease. I just wish there was a nice middle ground, even if it was something as basic as saying "Player A has off field issues and will be on the bench for 3 weeks." And I think it'd be even better if having more players with off the field issues would lower your team's ratings because of being a distraction, where as less high risk players would improve the ratings of players around them because of being role models and good influences. Something like that could even be a good message to kids and would definitely add the risk of negative players in the game. But, in the end, I'm sure every player with a bad risk rating would be screaming and hollering about it no matter how many times they've been arrested over the course of their career. And the NFL will never quit trying to pretend that its athletes aren't all perfect angels.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Rookie

ozzy57's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknut88
It was slightly off topic. But he mentioned that the NFL would not want to draw that attention to those problems. And the ultimate problem in the NFL right now is the lawsuits about head injuries. And a great way to show that they are trying to raise awareness on concussions is to put it into the game that if a player gets a concussion he cannot play the next week.

Now, forgive me if this was so off topic. I have a weird mind, much like Zach Galifinakis in Due Date when he derives weird things from linking one to another lol. And I'm not even sure the NFL has this rule in place yet or if they were just discussing it. But I thought they were talking about forcing players to miss a game for ANY concussion. But they may just make them go through extensive tests for now.
I'm not 100% on this but I believe it was John Madden himself who told them to make sure they have concussions in the game to raise awareness about the seriousness of concussions to kids who play the game and the sport in real life and to raise general awareness about concussions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »