Home

Pass Defense & Quarter Length

This is a discussion on Pass Defense & Quarter Length within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #1
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

OVR: 10
Pass Defense & Quarter Length

Has anybody noticed the defense plays differently depending on the quarter length?

I know obviously the shorter the length, the less yards you give up; that's not exactly true.

On 8 minutes with no cutoff, 12 minutes with 25 second cutoff, and 15 minutes with 15 second cutoff, all gets you roughly around 120 plays game.

On 8 minutes, it seems the CPU can never get a drive going like in Madden 12. Basically 3 and outs then scoring on 2 minute offense. In 15 minutes, the CPU actually has drives, but the receivers are always open. The scoring and everything is close to perfect as statistics go, but the CPU will throw 300+ yards a game no matter who you play. On 12 minutes, the passing problem is solved and the CPU still has good drives but they never score any touchdowns. I just played the Patriots who you would think would score a lot, beat me with 8 field goals.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the quarter length seems to effect the sliders, gameplay, AI, or something and I can't get it right.

My reaction time is 47. I'm currently using the 12 minutes. Should I increase it or decrease?

Can somebody explain to me what the reaction time even affects?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Pass Defense & Quarter Length

I only play online and I am telling you defense is a mess. If your playing good defense its because the guy your playing isnt very good or is very unlucky in that game. The safety play is flat out broke. Madden must think we want 5 big plays a game. And before somebody says its just let me tell you its not just me because I am doing it to others every game as well. I have seen safety's in 2 man under go all way across the field. In cover 3 I have seen the safety get beat by 5 yards in the middle of the defense. Combine that with the defense line rush being non-existent and the fact that I see no difference in QB's. Last year when playing with the niners you had to be careful using Smith, this year I see no difference between Smith, Cutler, Schaub, RG3, etc, yea some maybe faster others may get the ball there a little quicker but online I am zinging it all over the place with any of them. Lastly, hurry up offense happens way to quickly. Thanks EA..just wanted against good players 35-38 games!
Old 09-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Banned

js3512's Arena

OVR: 5

I've played roughly 50 games so far, all with 15 min. quarters and not once have I given up 300 yards passing. So maybe you just need better defensive playcalling. Also, 15 sec. runoff is a lil high as that'll give you more around 130-135 plays a game, take it down to 13 and it should be about perfect.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by js3512
I've played roughly 50 games so far, all with 15 min. quarters and not once have I given up 300 yards passing. So maybe you just need better defensive playcalling. Also, 15 sec. runoff is a lil high as that'll give you more around 130-135 plays a game, take it down to 13 and it should be about perfect.

No disrespect but I play online not against the weak CPU.

Quote "I've played roughly 50 games so far, all with 15 min. quarters and not once have I given up 300 yards passing."....LOL this is why I dont play against the CPU, how do you guys continue to enjoy playing the weak CPU.
I stopped doing that years ago, when I started having to make rules for myself to follow to even make the games competitive! To be honest I am jealous I wish I still sucked at the game so that the CPU games were fun like they are for you.

Play me online in 15 minute quarters and your so called 50 game streak of 300 passing yards will be destroyed. I guarantee you give up at least 600+ yards in passing! So please stop with "learn to play defense" cpu player!

Last edited by Doker44; 09-08-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by js3512
What do your sliders look like?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doker44
No disrespect but I play online not against the weak CPU.

Quote "I've played roughly 50 games so far, all with 15 min. quarters and not once have I given up 300 yards passing."....LOL this is why I dont play against the CPU, how do you guys continue to enjoy playing the weak CPU.
I stopped doing that years ago, when I started having to make rules for myself to follow to even make the games competitive! To be honest I am jealous I wish I still sucked at the game so that the CPU games were fun like they are for you.

Play me online in 15 minute quarters and your so called 50 game streak of 300 passing yards will be destroyed. I guarantee you give up at least 600+ yards in passing! So please stop with "learn to play defense" cpu player!
haha can i join in the fun cause ill double that and drop 1,200 passing yards on his ***, considering i can easily drop 500 in ranked games
Old 09-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doker44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePlayinSerb
haha can i join in the fun cause ill double that and drop 1,200 passing yards on his ***, considering i can easily drop 500 in ranked games
Watch out, couple of BAs just walked on in.

I've pretty much only played user games so far, and the 8 or so I have played have been in the 7-8 minute qtr length. Passing for me has ranged all over the place. Then again, I'm using the Jets and deal with short fields and have to use their great QB lineup. Played only 1 play now game on default when I got the game, CPU didn't do much in it. Played a couple preseason games when I tried out CCM, but didn't finish either cause of the punting going on.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
Rookie

rockbottom3's Arena

OVR: 6
I've said the same thing in the past. I do believe the CPU play differently at different quarter settings. In the past madden with no sliders at 12 min seemed to be lethargic and just not aggressive on offense. If you went to 7 min though they seemed to try to score a lot more aggressively. Could be true but it makes it hard to decide on minutes per quarter for realism when you have to balance stats with aggressiveness of CPU.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »