Home

Xbox 360 Blurry Graphics-Is it a bug?

This is a discussion on Xbox 360 Blurry Graphics-Is it a bug? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 49
Xbox 360 Blurry Graphics-Is it a bug?

Does anyone know why the Xbox 360's graphics are so blurry this year compared to madden 12? They softened the picture probably to reduce jaggies. The PS3 version I tried looks so much sharper, however as usual it has a lot more jaggies,( which is what made me move to Xbox 360 in the first place over the years.)

Anyway, has anyone heard anything on a patch to sharpen the picture?

Last edited by wheelman990; 09-18-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Banned

MikeLove's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Xbox 360 Blurry Graphics-Is it a bug?

I don't think the xbox graphics look especially blurry personally. They added motion blur which is a technique for making things look fluid at speed. Im not sure if thats what youre talking about, but if you are, its definitely intended and used a lot in modern games. I tried to google up some articles about motion blur for you but didnt find anything really satisfactory and dont feel like looking harder
Old 09-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Pro

bubba4's Arena

OVR: 6

Although motion blur is a neat little camera trick, I wish they wouldn't use it in sports games, especially football. This is the HD era and the word blur is antithetical to that. We want crystal clear, crisp images with little to no jaggies. I'll let the lenses in my eyes handle the motion blur.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLove
I don't think the xbox graphics look especially blurry personally. They added motion blur which is a technique for making things look fluid at speed. Im not sure if thats what youre talking about, but if you are, its definitely intended and used a lot in modern games. I tried to google up some articles about motion blur for you but didnt find anything really satisfactory and dont feel like looking harder
Well, it depends on your display on how obvious it is. If you are using a 50" (I also have a 52"LCD ) then it isn't as easy to see(just a softer picture and less detail). However, if you use a nice detailed little 20-24"(I have a 22" and a 24") then there is a larger difference in Madden 10-12 sharpness Vs Madden 13's. It is just not as clean looking as it could be.

It's almost like they softened the picture to make everything look smooth. the problem is, they went so far with it, that IMO it hurt the graphics a bit from it's potential.

Hopefully you guys on here have read some of my past thread and know I am not one to make stuff up. I usually seam to catch this stuff pretty well and accurate(visuals/audio). I tried this with several Maddens on several displays, and even tried the ps3 version as well on those displays. No question, Madden 360 has a softness to it that takes away some of the visuals it could have had

Last edited by wheelman990; 09-18-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba4
Although motion blur is a neat little camera trick, I wish they wouldn't use it in sports games, especially football. This is the HD era and the word blur is antithetical to that. We want crystal clear, crisp images with little to no jaggies. I'll let the lenses in my eyes handle the motion blur.
I like the motion blur a little, but I think they over used it. It's not at the right moments IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Banned

MikeLove's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Well, it depends on your display on how obvious it is. If you are using a 50" (I also have a 52"LCD ) then it isn't as easy to see(just a softer picture and less detail). However, if you use a nice detailed little 20-24"(I have a 22" and a 24") then there is a huge difference in Madden 10-12 visuals Vs Madden 13's. Not only is it much softer, but it is almost like there is a haze over the picture. It is just not clean looking. Even the PS3 version of 13, which is usually way worse in every way then the 360 version(IMO) every year looks so much cleaner then the 360 version, besides the fact it has the usual jaggies it is known for.

It's almost like they softened the picture to make everything look smooth. the problem is, they went so far with it, that IMO it hurt the picture a lot.

Hopefully you guys on here have read some of my past thread and know I am not one to make stuff up. I usually seam to catch this stuff pretty well and accurate(visuals/audio). I tried this with several Maddens on several displays, and even tried the ps3 version as well on those displays. No question, Madden 360 has a softness to it that takes away the HD visuals of Madden 12.
Im playing on a 58" plasma in 720p. Um why would ANYTHING be more noticeable on a smaller tv, that just seems counter intuitive.

And to the anti motion blur guy. The Witcher 2 is as far as I know probably the most graphically taxing/beautiful game on the market for PC. It uses motion blur to great effect. I personally really like the motion blur in Madden, but its a matter of taste. Some people like motion blur some people don't. Its definitely more of a newer graphical effect so I don't quite know where youre going with this 'HD era' stuff.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Banned

MikeLove's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba4

Play nexiuz on PC (it uses cryengine 3 and is like 5 dollars) and tell me that motion blur doesnt belong in the 'hd era'. Play The Witcher 2. Its more of a personal preference than anything.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLove
Im playing on a 58" plasma in 720p. Um why would ANYTHING be more noticeable on a smaller tv, that just seems counter intuitive.

IMO a little 20-24" LCD smokes a 40+ LCD/plasma any day at detail and clean picture. Mostly because #1. A 720p resolution is stretched a lot to fill a 50" inch or larger TV and #2. A large TV means sitting further away which also causes the eye to not see as much detail.

The larger TV would likely be better if both were viewed from a further distance though(but again you will loose detail from if you were sitting close and using a 24" for example)

And to the anti motion blur guy. The Witcher 2 is as far as I know probably the most graphically taxing/beautiful game on the market for PC. It uses motion blur to great effect. I personally really like the motion blur in Madden, but its a matter of taste. Some people like motion blur some people don't. Its definitely more of a newer graphical effect so I don't quite know where youre going with this 'HD era' stuff.

I like motion blur also. I don't think they got it right on how they used it, but I don't have a complaint really with it, other then it's on a few cut scenes sometimes and looks a bit odd there.
Responded in bold

BTW-check out this thread. I'm not alone in seeing Madden 13's visuals were a step back. It really depends on the field though, Madden 12 has some terrible looking ones, and some great looking ones.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...m-i-wrong.html

Last edited by wheelman990; 09-18-2012 at 05:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »