Home

Question on manual subs

This is a discussion on Question on manual subs within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Rookie

Soprano00's Arena

OVR: 1
Question on manual subs

I play Madden 13 on PS Vita, but I guess it's the same for Madden 12 on consoles and probably 13 too.

Sometimes I quick sub a player in a formation (using the L-button and choosing the player to substitute). The problem is that it seems once you do it, that player will be the starter for that formation unless you re-sub it again.

How can I rearrange all the formations so that they match the depth chart ? Is it possible ? I like to quick try weaker players, but it's annoying they become starters.

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Question on manual subs

I assume you are playing in franchise / career mode, as formation subs shouldn't persist over Play Now games under any circumstance.

My working understand for the console version of Madden 12 (and probably the closest proxy for Madden 13 on PSVITA) was that formation subs will continue to persist until the start of the next season, and that you'll have to manually substitute that position in that formation for the rest of the current season should you ever want to send a new player out in that particular formation and position.

In the console version of Madden 13 in connected career mode, formation subs reset after every game and must be executed for each game.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Rookie

Soprano00's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I assume you are playing in franchise / career mode, as formation subs shouldn't persist over Play Now games under any circumstance.

My working understand for the console version of Madden 12 (and probably the closest proxy for Madden 13 on PSVITA) was that formation subs will continue to persist until the start of the next season, and that you'll have to manually substitute that position in that formation for the rest of the current season should you ever want to send a new player out in that particular formation and position.
Thanks for the answer! Indeed I'm playing in franchise mode... and the subs seems to persists all the season (and I think even more, I subbed the HB for a particular formation and I still find him as a starter on season 2). On one side, it's good: you can adapt the right players to the right formations, but on the other side it's annoying if you want to sub in a few weaker players to rest the starters: you have to remember who you was subbing, his number, and the number of all the starters to sub them back...

IMHO the best would be deciding the persistent subs off game and make all the in-game subs stay for that game only.

Last question: is it possible to assign another head coach to a team ? I don't want to see anymore Lovie Smith in the Bears
Old 02-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
MVP

Playing on the PS3, how do I quick sub?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soprano00
Last question: is it possible to assign another head coach to a team ? I don't want to see anymore Lovie Smith in the Bears
I don't think it's possible to do this unless you are controlling the Bears. If you are controlling the Bears, and again assuming M13 on PSVITA operates like console M12 and has Franchise mode and not Connected Careers mode, you will have to wait until the Owner Mode stage of the offseason (immediately follows the Super Bowl). There will be an option for coach hirings / staff / something to that effect, and from there you will be able to release Lovie Smith from his contract and hire a new head coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
Playing on the PS3, how do I quick sub?
During a game, two ways:

-first method, package substitution: during formation select in the playcalling interface, move the right stick left or right to select an alternate package of players. Typically, options available in package substitutions will be things such as "Spell HB" (HB2 on the depth chart replaces HB1), "Strong Slot" (WR1 and WR3 will swap positions in the formation), "HB at WR" (HB1 will replace the lowest-depth WR in the formation) and so on. Available options vary based on selected formation AND selected playbook.

-second method, formation substitutions: during formation select in the playcalling interface, press R1 to activate; you'll see one of the dots in the formation turn a color. Use the directional pad to scroll through all the dots, and, when the appropriate position is selected, press X to select that position. A menu of available players will appear; select the player from the list you wish to substitute into that position. Press (I'm not sure which it is, you'll have to check, I play XBOX 360) either Circle or Triangle to back out of the interface.

Note that when you make a formation substitution, that substitution is permanent for the duration of the game or until you change it. Formation substitutions also disrupts the functionality of the package substitutions for that particular formation; if you sub in a WR at HB, for example, the Spell HB package substitution will have no effect in that formation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
During a game, two ways:

-first method, package substitution: during formation select in the playcalling interface, move the right stick left or right to select an alternate package of players. Typically, options available in package substitutions will be things such as "Spell HB" (HB2 on the depth chart replaces HB1), "Strong Slot" (WR1 and WR3 will swap positions in the formation), "HB at WR" (HB1 will replace the lowest-depth WR in the formation) and so on. Available options vary based on selected formation AND selected playbook.

-second method, formation substitutions: during formation select in the playcalling interface, press R1 to activate; you'll see one of the dots in the formation turn a color. Use the directional pad to scroll through all the dots, and, when the appropriate position is selected, press X to select that position. A menu of available players will appear; select the player from the list you wish to substitute into that position. Press (I'm not sure which it is, you'll have to check, I play XBOX 360) either Circle or Triangle to back out of the interface.

Note that when you make a formation substitution, that substitution is permanent for the duration of the game or until you change it. Formation substitutions also disrupts the functionality of the package substitutions for that particular formation; if you sub in a WR at HB, for example, the Spell HB package substitution will have no effect in that formation.
Tank you. Will try it ASAP. Have been wondering how it is done.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Rookie

Soprano00's Arena

Quote:
I don't think it's possible to do this unless you are controlling the Bears. If you are controlling the Bears, and again assuming M13 on PSVITA operates like console M12 and has Franchise mode and not Connected Careers mode, you will have to wait until the Owner Mode stage of the offseason (immediately follows the Super Bowl). There will be an option for coach hirings / staff / something to that effect, and from there you will be able to release Lovie Smith from his contract and hire a new head coach.
thanks a lot! too bad I just started season 2 with Lovie, but I'll definitively replace him on season 3!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
MVP

Can someone explain how the Vita works with connections to the PS3?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »