Home

Guarding TE's

This is a discussion on Guarding TE's within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
Rookie

Noestar's Arena

OVR: 5
Guarding TE's

Any advice for guarding the TE's?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Guarding TE's

Getting burned by TEs is really annoying and even though I've gotten regularly burned by TEs for 100 yards plus, there are some things you can do to limit the damage.

Nickel formations with a corner to cover the TE.
3-4 or 4-3, if your OLB is a good cover then play man. If your MLB is better, select a blitz that your OLB will be blitzing and the MLB will pick up the TE.

The best thing that I do though is to play a Base 4-3 or 3-4, or also a Nickel formation and select the DE (or OLB if 3-4) on the TE side and hot route him to a deep zone. Then user control that DE (or OLB) and run with the TE. The TE will already be covered in man by someone else, and you as the user-selected DE or OLB can run underneath the route and deflect/intercept the ball. (Got 3 interceptions in a game on passes to TE b/c the other guy kept stubbornly throwing to challenge me).

Hope this helps, I hate when people just pick the same 2 or 3 plays and aren't creative. This should force the other guy to be more creative in his plays or force him into turnovers.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
Pro

rdeyes's Arena

OVR: 6

has anyon tried pressing the TE with the OLB ?
Old 05-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Pressing TE is not very effective unless you do it manually. Best way to defend it is dropping Ends into coverage ( I feel this is major flaw in madden these days). There is no such thing as a four man rush in madden ( 4-3 defense is useless). Your better off running a 3-4 and rushing two or three down linemen and playing coverage with everyone else while usering one of the MLB's to ball hawk the middle of the field.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Rookie

the best way to guard the TE's is put your DE's in yellow hook zone! it works! (that's because I have LB's at my DE positions) 4-3 over and under works really well. I have a great video on youtube called DEPTH CHART SETUP and 4-3 over and under sheme. hopes this helps!

my youtube channel is:
JC MONEY MADDEN BOY
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
Just started!

I have had success so far with using defensive shading. It has helped my pass defense alot. I usually user one of the MLB's thats NOT covering the #1 TE so if he comes into my zone I can be of help.

I try to anticipate what he's doing with the TE. I used to get burned with deep middle routes, but i just shade TE to the inside and that route is covered. If he keeps doing out or deep corner routes with the TE I shade to the outside and they leaves it really well covered.

Doing this allows me to play a hook zone with my other MLB and stay home more instead of having to run all over the field helping out on the TE cuz he's burning me.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Sub formations. Put a DB on the TE. I like the BAL playbook for this.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
Banned

I have notice one thing when I control the middle linebacker for the middle of the field for some reason the cpu always throws it to the TE and of course he's wide open. I suck in coverage lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »