Home

Does any one feel the way I do??????

This is a discussion on Does any one feel the way I do?????? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2004, 12:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Does any one feel the way I do??????

Both ESPN and Madden have flaws, but if I had to pick one or the other it would be Madden. I have both games and I really don't see how the people who prefer ESPN can say the gameplay on an overall level is better in that game. I do like the running game better, but really that's about it imo.

Visually ESPN is far superior. That's a no-brainer. I think if they stop working so hard at improving their graphics and work on the A.I. they would be on to something. And at the ESPN board those guys are always talking about Madden "fanboys", but I think they may actually be worse. You know there are people who still swear that the QB spy works in ESPN.

I don't think I've ever seen a sports game that had so many of the big things covered and totally miss on the little things. Like their rating system is great. I love how you have some LB's who are good at rushing the passer, some are good in coverage and some are good at run defense. But some of their number are insane! Why in the world is Eddie George faster than Brian Westbrook. Why is Brian Westbrook the strongest back on the game? Antoine Winfield, the prize defensive player in free agency last year only an 81!!! Kurt Warner is faster than Jake Plummer. What's up???

Another thing that annoys me about ESPN that I never see or hear anyone bring up is the fact that the QB's can not throw the ball far enough. Say you're at your opponents 40 yardline and you need to throw a hail mary. You might as well chalk it as a loss because no QB on the game can get the ball to the endzone from there.

But the biggest sticklers for me is how the QB is totally unaccounted for as far as running the ball. This isn't a Michael Vick or Donovan McNabb thing. You can do it with just about any QB. And defensive players who have absolutely no chance at a pick will go for the ball and take them selves out of position. Also your teammates have no clue when it comes to downfield blocking. They just stand there and look.

And those are just gameplay issues, I won't even start on how the CPU only takes players at four different positions in the draft. Or how the Packers will trade Brett Favre for a RB to back up Ahman Green in your franchise.

Those are the things that made me just put the game down. The eye candy is great, But even the $20 price tag doesn't justify some of the fundamental flaws in this game. And like I said before both games have flaws, but I don't think the flaws Madden has hurt the game as much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2004, 12:48 PM   #2
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Does any one feel the way I do??????

Can we have a new sticky that contains all posts like this? I swear, over the last couple months I've read this post 1,000 times.

I'm not joking, can there be a sticky for all these posts?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
MVP

devilsjaw's Arena

OVR: 27

If I didn't know any better, I'd assume every sports video game made sucked....
Old 09-16-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsjaw
If I didn't know any better, I'd assume every sports video game made sucked....
Yeah me too!
Old 09-16-2004, 01:12 PM   #5
Rookie

Really sorry fellas. I didn't know the message boards were for praise only.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2004, 01:14 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylentKnyt
Yeah me too!
Do yourself a favor, and look back a couple of weeks for my post entitled "We Are Our Own Worst Enemy." I think it pretty well defines the opinions of my two previous posters . . . .

Ohio State Buckeyes
Kansas City Chiefs
Los Angeles Lakers
Cincinnati Reds

"Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice." - Ted Knight (Judge Smails) in Caddyshack.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:43 PM   #7
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcquillian
Do yourself a favor, and look back a couple of weeks for my post entitled "We Are Our Own Worst Enemy." I think it pretty well defines the opinions of my two previous posters . . . .
I could not agree more. Every year it's the same crap, I like many have both games and enjoy them both.I really don't understand the need to bash one game or the other,both games (imo) offer something different to fans this year.
I guess maybe the need to bash the games doesn't interest me, as i couldn't be more happier with the direction their BOTH going.Besides that, it's def better than the old 2600 days.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:15 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 13

Madden over ESPN.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »