Home

Is the Check Swing an Aesthetic Or an Essential?

This is a discussion on Is the Check Swing an Aesthetic Or an Essential? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #1

OVR: 34
Is the Check Swing an Aesthetic Or an Essential?

I don't want to disrupt Chase's first look at MLB 2K10, so I thought I'd ask here. It seems many are let down by the no check swing feature. I'm wondering though how that is a natural part of playing the game. Would this be a button you press to check swing? I would say no because that means you knew you would check swing and purposefully chose that button, making it less intuitive and more deliberate.

I can see it as an animation that the CPU would run, making it more of a part of the game that you see in baseball, but how would you implement it for a USER? I have never played a single inning of MLB The Show. How do they implement it? Please don't gush about it, just answer how it's used in the game.

I'm just not bothered much by it not being in there and would like to know how some feel you could add it in as an essential piece of gameplay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70
Re: Is the Check Swing an Aesthetic Or an Essential?

I honestly always hated The Show's check swing. So many times I'd go to swing, and end up check swinging. I can name numerous times of that happening. I may have just sucked at the game, and it's been a few years since I even played it.

I do normally use a check swing though, I feel it's a part of the game, whether I use it or not shouldn't be the question, the question should be why it would be missing. I don't pump fake a lot in Madden, but in no way should a pump fake be removed. Know what I mean?

It's a big part of the game, it should be in the game.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 01-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 11

In The Show, a check swing is initiated by pushing the swing button, but when you push it, it's not as hard or as long as a normal swing, so the swing becomes checked. It occurs very naturally and I personally feel that every MLB video game should have check swings in it. MVP 2005 has check swings implemented in the same way The Show has 'em.

I honestly use it quite a bit. Wait a minute. It's not even really me using it. It happens. It just happens. It's a part of major league baseball.

Last edited by 500Feet; 01-22-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #4

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
I do normally use a check swing though, I feel it's a part of the game, whether I use it or not shouldn't be the question, the question should be why it would be missing. I don't pump fake a lot in Madden, but in no way should a pump fake be removed. Know what I mean?
I was thinking of the pump fake too. It seems that has two possible results (you end up throwing or don't), whereas the check swing usually means you pull back and don't swing. Maybe it could be implemented with the pulling of a trigger to pull back quickly. but something I wouldn't want to see is a two animation system like the first down measurement in Madden where one animations means you made it and the other means you didn't.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I was thinking of the pump fake too. It seems that has two possible results (you end up throwing or don't), whereas the check swing usually means you pull back and don't swing. Maybe it could be implemented with the pulling of a trigger to pull back quickly. but something I wouldn't want to see is a two animation system like the first down measurement in Madden where one animations means you made it and the other means you didn't.
The trigger was the solution 2k adopted back in 2k6, and I was expecting it was implemented this year as well, because it seem a feasable solution with the new swing mechanics.

And to answer your question, check swing is essential to me. I use it a lot to lay off pitches that initially I thought I would hack.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

I never use it in The Show, so I'm not bothered by it being left out in 2K as long as it's easy to read pitches, which I thought was easy to do in 2K9 because of all the camera options.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

I don't like the trigger because it never seemed natural.

Checking a swing is a start and stop with your hands, which to me was nicely represented by a button tap or a pull back or let go of the swing stick. Adding the trigger took away the feel for me.

However, in video games, especially this where it can be tough to read a pitch type or location, especially at high pitch speeds, I think you need it.

One thing I never liked about 2K's system is that the result just seemed random (whether you actually were successful or not) and had nothing to do with your actual timing. MVP nailed it and you knew if you went to far or not.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

Check swinging using Swing Stick has always been difficult. I believe it's been in every version since 2k7. I think the easiest way to program it into the ST Mechanic would be pushing down/in on the L-Analog Stick since now we seem to have a newer swing mechanic as suggest by Chase.

As for it not being in the game for me it's not a Game-Breaker

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »