Home

Old 05-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
All Star

cubsfan203's Arena

OVR: 24
Split Stats

Is there a way to see splits in the game? I looked everywhere, but couldn't find it for the life of me. I mainly just want to see batters against LHP and RHP stats.

Coaching Career of Chris Matthews (CH2k8)
The Legend of Ocho Ocho
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Split Stats

Nope. No way that I know of.

Apparently the CPU has figures either built in, or it stores it in save somehow and extrapolates for use in overlays when approaching the plate.

I really wish there were spilts...
Old 05-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

Stats aren't really that important when you can read their contact and power ratings VS RHPs and LHPs. I guess if there were no ratings it would be helpful, but those ratings are more important as the statistics are extrapolated from them. For those, you can just look at the player card in the box score.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Rookie

PittPens1787's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardswin2006
Stats aren't really that important when you can read their contact and power ratings VS RHPs and LHPs. I guess if there were no ratings it would be helpful, but those ratings are more important as the statistics are extrapolated from them. For those, you can just look at the player card in the box score.
They are important in franchise mode, though. If I'm keeping a player up in the bigs simply to platoon and play against lefties with another player, and he's hitting lefties at .350, I should be able to see that. Maybe I use him to pinch hit versus righties sometimes as well, so his total BA isn't a good indicator of how well he's doing his job.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPens1787
They are important in franchise mode, though. If I'm keeping a player up in the bigs simply to platoon and play against lefties with another player, and he's hitting lefties at .350, I should be able to see that. Maybe I use him to pinch hit versus righties sometimes as well, so his total BA isn't a good indicator of how well he's doing his job.
But what I'm saying is that his ability is more important than his stats, because his stats are just a derivative of what his abilities are (and his stats could be an outlier of his true ability against LHP/RHP). In real life, you can't look at someone's "contact" or "power" rating against lefties, you have to look at their splits, which should give you a fairly accurate picture of that person's ability. In the VG world, we do not need the split information because we already have the ratings (which is what real life managers are trying to determine when looking at split stats).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Rookie

PittPens1787's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardswin2006
But what I'm saying is that his ability is more important than his stats, because his stats are just a derivative of what his abilities are (and his stats could be an outlier of his true ability against LHP/RHP). In real life, you can't look at someone's "contact" or "power" rating against lefties, you have to look at their splits, which should give you a fairly accurate picture of that person's ability. In the VG world, we do not need the split information because we already have the ratings (which is what real life managers are trying to determine when looking at split stats).
Definitely, I agree with what you're saying. But I don't think you can say we don't need the splits. Part of franchise mode is making decisions based on how a player is playing, not just on his stats.

For example, Jose Tabata is the best contact hitter for my Pirates in my franchise. If he's, for whatever reason, only hitting .200, while McCutchen and Walker are hitting over .300, I don't want Tabata batting leadoff, juts because he's a little bit better at hitting for contact. The same can go for left- and right-handed hitting.

You're definitely right in saying the ratings are the most important thing and I'm not disagreeing at all, but it's still important for us to have those split stats.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
Rookie

While they may have a higher average now, it's definitely an outlier as over time he will be better because he has the higher rating. So you'd be better off having Tabata leading off in that case--no matter what those guys are hitting after a few at-bats.

You want to play the player that has the highest chance of success, and that will be the guy with the best ratings, not necessarily the average. Now if they just eliminated the ratings altogether and gave us the splits instead, then I would totally agree with you.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:03 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPens1787
But I don't think you can say we don't need the splits. Part of franchise mode is making decisions based on how a player is playing, not just on his stats.

For example, Jose Tabata is the best contact hitter for my Pirates in my franchise. If he's, for whatever reason, only hitting .200... I don't want Tabata batting leadoff, juts because he's a little bit better at hitting for contact.
The only thing splits indicate is how well you're hitting with that particular hitter. If Tabata is hitting .200, it's because you're hitting .200 with Tabata. It has nothing to do with the player's leadoff ability etc., it's simply a numerical indictor of your failure or success with that player. Individual performance stats (splits, walks, strikeouts, SB%, etc.) accumulated throughout the season are statistical window dressing and are entirely meaningless. They serve no purpose other than to increase the game's immersion factor. Individual player ratings (contact, power, vs L&R, clutch, speed, etc.) along with hot/cold indicators are the only numbers that have any purpose and value, and are all you should be looking at when setting your lineups.

Last edited by peigone; 05-08-2011 at 05:36 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »