Home

Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 14 Version]

This is a discussion on Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 14 Version] within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 14 Version]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
How do you see all 75 games? I see 14.
Clicking on the default tab shows you the entire list.

Also, yeah, I'm pretty sure Nomo runs all his games at pitch speed 10 for aesthetic reasons. I thought the catcher throw speed was adjusted (internally) to compensate for a pitch speed slider change though?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #26
Senior AI Programmer - MLB: The Show

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
According to the slider description, pitch speed is a visual cue only and doesn't impact the AI.
Well if it really says that then it's 100% wrong.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise

Also, yeah, I'm pretty sure Nomo runs all his games at pitch speed 10 for aesthetic reasons. I thought the catcher throw speed was adjusted (internally) to compensate for a pitch speed slider change though?
We tried that one year, not since then. It breaks too much.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #28
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:

Of course I'd stand corrected if Brian knew the Pitch Speed actually affect the steal aspect of the game, but in the past we are told by a dev (Eddie Cram I believe) that in-game Pitch Speed does not really affect the aspects of the game not related to pitching/hitting.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Thank you Brian for chiming in.

If that helps with debugging, I can try to compile a list of players with SBs and CSs.
Can you try some future games with sliders reset to default, particularly pitch speed? I'm just curious if this is affecting your results, because it should.

Also, I guess it's fair to say you did all these tests before patch 1? There was a related bug fixed in patch 1 for hit-and-runs, that would make it look like bad runners were stealing when in fact the batter should have swung.

Last edited by Brian SCEA; 04-10-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #30
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:

Yes this has been explicitly stated on OS before. Man oh man I can't even imagine how to go about searching for that quote. LOL!

EDIT: I see Brian already addressed this.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #31
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
Can you try some future games with sliders reset to default, particularly pitch speed? I'm just curious if this is affecting your results, because it should.
I can, but if my past experimentations (since MLB 11) are still applicable, then I did not see the magnitude of steal failures caused by Pitch Speed slider = 10 alone before.

For CPU vs. CPU experiments, I've always used max pitch speed, but if it had any effect on steal success, then I've only seen that go down in 65 - 70% range (compared to about 73% for MLB). Certainly not down to 30% or so that I'm seeing now.

This spreadsheet is from MLB 13, the last year's game: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=0

I use the same stats template this year as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I can, but if my past experimentations (since MLB 11) are still applicable, then I did not see the magnitude of steal failures caused by Pitch Speed slider = 10 alone before.
Yes, seeing that you have almost 5000 AB I wouldn't see pitch speed accounting for that big of a difference. Just to confirm, have you tried any games post-patch?

Runners steal proportional to their steal ability with restrictions and cutoffs based on the situation. If you're seeing very slow runners steal regularly, it's a hit and run and the patch should address that by making the batter swing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »