Home

MLB The Show modding on PS3 COULD be possible

This is a discussion on MLB The Show modding on PS3 COULD be possible within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2024, 02:20 PM   #1
Pro

MauerMorneau09's Arena

OVR: 13
MLB The Show modding on PS3 COULD be possible

Hey everyone,

Not sure if anyone still visits here, but I made some discoveries in regards to the potential of MLB The Show modding on PS3. I was able to extract models/textures from MLB 09 and thought it might be cool to show it off, if anyone is interested in that. At the very least, we now know that objects/textures can be extracted. As for getting them back in-game, that's something far beyond what I'm capable of.

Last edited by MauerMorneau09; 03-07-2024 at 02:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2024, 03:44 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show modding on PS3 COULD be possible

Keep it up, hopefully we will have something in the future.
Old 03-09-2024, 05:58 PM   #3
Pro

@MauerMorneau09, Congratulations for the progress!!

I did the something similar for MLB14TS PS Vita/PSTV. I also successfully inject updated files like textures (uniforms, player faces, stadiums, logos, ...), music, schedules and a bit more.

On the other hand, I am able to edit roster files for PS Vita/PSTV. These roster updates would work as is for PS3 too! The only problem left to solve is to find the checksum algorithm that MLB14TS PS3 applies to game saves, otherwise you get an error message when loading it.

Do you mind to share the player model file from the first image?

The textures you got, look pretty similar to those from MLB14TS PS Vita. Most likely, the resolution for the PS3 version is higher.

Last edited by lorak; 03-09-2024 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:11 PM   #4
Pro

MauerMorneau09's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorak
@MauerMorneau09, Congratulations for the progress!!

I did the something similar for MLB14TS PS Vita/PSTV. I also successfully inject updated files like textures (uniforms, player faces, stadiums, logos, ...), music, schedules and a bit more.

On the other hand, I am able to edit roster files for PS Vita/PSTV. These roster updates would work as is for PS3 too! The only problem left to solve is to find the checksum algorithm that MLB14TS PS3 applies to game saves, otherwise you get an error message when loading it.

Do you mind to share the player model file from the first image?
That's awesome! Sounds like you're much more educated on this stuff than I am. If you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd love to know how were you able to mod those files. My goal is to make any PS3 The Show game moddable like NCAA 14, NBA 2K, etc. I used a program called VulkanRipper to extract these, but it's limited since it can only pull what's currently loaded and it's not necessarily extracting the raw files. I included the gltf files that were extracted. I just imported those into Blender as is. If you have any ideas on where to go from here, I would love your help.
Attached Files
File Type: rar MLB09TEST.rar (2.08 MB, 3 views)
Old 03-09-2024, 09:47 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauerMorneau09
That's awesome! Sounds like you're much more educated on this stuff than I am. If you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd love to know how were you able to mod those files. My goal is to make any PS3 The Show game moddable like NCAA 14, NBA 2K, etc. I used a program called VulkanRipper to extract these, but it's limited since it can only pull what's currently loaded and it's not necessarily extracting the raw files. I included the gltf files that were extracted. I just imported those into Blender as is. If you have any ideas on where to go from here, I would love your help.
Thanks for the files, I will have a look.

Given that you pull all those files via VulkanRipper, it most probably means that you did it by loading the game in an emulator, maybe RPCS3. In general, there are a lot of similarities in the game file structures of PS3 and PS Vita games, the main difference is that PS3 sticks to big endian and PS Vita to little endian format.

Perhaps I would be able to extract the files from a version of MLBTS for PS3 as I did with MLB14TS PS Vita, just working with the raw game files.

By the way, the 2024 update for MLB14TS PS Vita will arrive soon. Meanwhile, you can check last year's thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2024, 06:06 PM   #6
Pro

MauerMorneau09's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorak
Thanks for the files, I will have a look.

Given that you pull all those files via VulkanRipper, it most probably means that you did it by loading the game in an emulator, maybe RPCS3. In general, there are a lot of similarities in the game file structures of PS3 and PS Vita games, the main difference is that PS3 sticks to big endian and PS Vita to little endian format.

Perhaps I would be able to extract the files from a version of MLBTS for PS3 as I did with MLB14TS PS Vita, just working with the raw game files.

By the way, the 2024 update for MLB14TS PS Vita will arrive soon. Meanwhile, you can check last year's thread.
Impressive work! Yea I had to use VulkanRipper through RPCS3 since I've been unable to get the files through quickbms or any other extractors. Looks like Vita also uses WAD format like the PS3 version, correct? Really the biggest hang up right now is finding a way to unpack that WAD, which for MLB 09 is 11 gigs (no idea if the size would cause problems). I've asked around to see if anyone has any info or a script to unpack it, but so far no luck. Let me know if you're able to find anything out. Even though I'm a novice with this stuff, it fascinates me and I'm eager to see what the possibilities are.
Old 03-17-2024, 04:47 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 10

Keep at it, this would be awesome.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:03 PM   #8
Pro

MLB14's Arena

This is an interesting thread! I didn't think anyone would do anything like this. It's really cool to see the extracted model from the PS3 version.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »