Home

Have the fixed the "pickoff frequency" slider?

This is a discussion on Have the fixed the "pickoff frequency" slider? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 7
Have the fixed the "pickoff frequency" slider?

I hope they've fixed this for 2011. In case you didn't know, even if you set the CPU pick-off frequency to 0 (slider all the way to the left), they will still try and pick you off just as much.

I am playing at this moment, and the fact that they have tried to pick off Gardner 5-6 straight times after only taking 1 extra lead-off while having the slider all the way to the left reminded me to post this. It's so annoying to have them attempt the pickoff 5-6 times in a row, and then eventually I either have to not lead off any, or they just pick the runner off.

Hope they fixed this. It's always been a big annoyance to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: Have the fixed the "pickoff frequency" slider?

A couple of things.
There is no real 0 in The Show. Too many people don't realize that. Even with the in editor ratings...0 is not 0.

Another...each pitcher has a "hidden" pickoff rating(this was supposed to be for later use..expanding on it....they haven't done anything)...I think it's 1 or 2(maybe a third...a Pettite like guy)...and this...in combo with your runners speed/base running ability/aggro and lead...will play into pick off attempts. I believe they have the pitcher rating and lead as the main factors(so if you take the extra step....even with Victor Martinez...he will throw over).
I'm not a big fan either.
Just shedding some light.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
A couple of things.
There is no real 0 in The Show. Too many people don't realize that. Even with the in editor ratings...0 is not 0.

Another...each pitcher has a "hidden" pickoff rating(this was supposed to be for later use..expanding on it....they haven't done anything)...I think it's 1 or 2(maybe a third...a Pettite like guy)...and this...in combo with your runners speed/base running ability/aggro and lead...will play into pick off attempts. I believe they have the pitcher rating and lead as the main factors(so if you take the extra step....even with Victor Martinez...he will throw over).
I'm not a big fan either.
Just shedding some light.

M.K.
Knight165
Interesting. So what is sounds like is......the slider does absolutely nothing? lol.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24
Interesting. So what is sounds like is......the slider does absolutely nothing? lol.
No....but I'm just letting you know...that the slider is a MODIFIER...not the end all be all. Putting a slider all the way down will not STOP pickoffs...as you seemed to think it would.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 01-31-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
No....but I'm just letting you know...that the slider is a MODIFIER...not the end all be all. Putting a slider all the way down will not STOP pickoffs...as you seemed to think it would.

M.K.
Knight165
I didn't think I would see none, I figured I wouldn't see 5-6 in a row every time I lead off, like I do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

Piggy-backing on this, does anyone know if the pickoff/leadoff/ roll of the dice if you get back to the bag safely or not has been updated or modified for this year?

I would think having a button to lead off, and a button to decrease the lead is pretty much a normal entity in the next gen games, and a great part of cat and mouse with the pitcher and the runner. However, whether or not you return to the bag without getting getting picked off as a 100% totally arbitrary function- needs some work.

In RTTS, the lead/steal/return is pretty well done. In regular, non-RTTS... Shouldn't i have the chance to see the pitcher's move to pick me off, and then have a split second to either react and get back, or be fooled on the move and get hung out to dry?

Ratings based outcomes are cool, and certainly should be a part of how the reaction time is handled, but in a game with so much control given to the user, having no input to the outcome of the pickoff is a bit last-gen.

Any of the CD guys delve into this at all?

syf
Old 02-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
Piggy-backing on this, does anyone know if the pickoff/leadoff/ roll of the dice if you get back to the bag safely or not has been updated or modified for this year?

I would think having a button to lead off, and a button to decrease the lead is pretty much a normal entity in the next gen games, and a great part of cat and mouse with the pitcher and the runner. However, whether or not you return to the bag without getting getting picked off as a 100% totally arbitrary function- needs some work.

In RTTS, the lead/steal/return is pretty well done. In regular, non-RTTS... Shouldn't i have the chance to see the pitcher's move to pick me off, and then have a split second to either react and get back, or be fooled on the move and get hung out to dry?

Ratings based outcomes are cool, and certainly should be a part of how the reaction time is handled, but in a game with so much control given to the user, having no input to the outcome of the pickoff is a bit last-gen.

Any of the CD guys delve into this at all?

syf
This.

Pleading for this since I bought 08.
Same goes for sliding...
Oh well there's has to be something left to improve on!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
Ratings based outcomes are cool, and certainly should be a part of how the reaction time is handled, but in a game with so much control given to the user, having no input to the outcome of the pickoff is a bit last-gen
Echoing this, but it also reminded me of another related idea I recently had regarding outfielders.

It can be really frustrating (in almost a tedious/boring way?) to have a playable ball hit deep toward the gap and have the entire experience of chasing it down be holding the stick in that direction. You know? Chasing down full-sprint a ball that could be an out or a game-changing double should pump adrenaline.

That's tough to translate to the gameplay experience, I know, but is it impossible? How about something simple like a sprint or hustle button? (Having to quickly tap might seem more engaging than holding a button down.) Obviously making your fielder go twice as fast as usual wouldn't be realistic, but maybe the default running speed is slightly slower than the sprint-boost? Sprint would be tweaked to be the guy's top, balls-out speed. Maybe this influences his ability to track the ball, I dunno. It could be played with.

This is the kind of thing that some players wouldn't enjoy, I imagine. But it would be a sweet option IMO. The more you can get the user involved without breaking away from realism (actually enhancing it in this case) the better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »