Home

Newbie to PS3: MLB 10 Question

This is a discussion on Newbie to PS3: MLB 10 Question within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
Newbie to PS3: MLB 10 Question

I just made the switch to PS3 and to tie me over until the release of MLB 12 The Show, I bought MLB 10 for $11.

I'm playing RTTS and just made it to the majors. It's a pain in the neck because I've got these goals to meet, but I'm not getting enough playing time to generate enough points to keep up with the advancement goals. I keep getting demoted from lineup to bench and then back to AAA. Not to mention the fact that my skills regress at alarming rates.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Are the games in MLB 11 and 12 supposed to be more forgiving?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Newbie to PS3: MLB 10 Question

I think the pro/demotion logic is better in 11, but it still has the same issue about how the advancement goals count.

I don't know if you like this sort of approach, but when my goal is to develop skills (i.e., rack up training points), I deliberately fail advancement goals in order to stay at a lower level in which I can get a starting spot, and try to leave the player there.

Now this can be tricky especially at the AAA level... It takes achieving > 50% of advancement goals to leave/keep the good impression from the management, so if you keep doing that you'll eventually get promoted. But if you fail say 2/3 (or 3/4? I forgot...) of the times, you get warnings but can maintain your status, until you get demoted the 3rd (or 4th) time that you fail.

I don't necessarily like the feeling of doing this just for the sake of racking up point, kinda deceiving the pro/demotion system, but I also *love* playing minor league games (love the atmosphere... ambiance, stadium, player variety, etc.), so it kinda works out for me...
Old 01-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I think the pro/demotion logic is better in 11, but it still has the same issue about how the advancement goals count.

I don't know if you like this sort of approach, but when my goal is to develop skills (i.e., rack up training points), I deliberately fail advancement goals in order to stay at a lower level in which I can get a starting spot, and try to leave the player there.

Now this can be tricky especially at the AAA level... It takes achieving > 50% of advancement goals to leave/keep the good impression from the management, so if you keep doing that you'll eventually get promoted. But if you fail say 2/3 (or 3/4? I forgot...) of the times, you get warnings but can maintain your status, until you get demoted the 3rd (or 4th) time that you fail.

I don't necessarily like the feeling of doing this just for the sake of racking up point, kinda deceiving the pro/demotion system, but I also *love* playing minor league games (love the atmosphere... ambiance, stadium, player variety, etc.), so it kinda works out for me...
Regarding the highlighted part: does that mean that every 3rd or 4th time you'll make sure you meet those goals, just to stay in good graces?

I actually thought about this approach. Seemed to me if I was getting more playing time in AAA then I get a better shot at building up.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Right, so you get the message from the coach/manager each time you fail a set of advancement goals. The first time, he'd say "no worries, it happens... don't make it a habit" and then the second, "you'd better follow the ****...", and then the third time, "you mofo follow my order or you'll face consequences." You get the idea.... You can tell from the tone of wordings when you really need to pass the goals to keep the status. But the point is until you get that final point, you can keep the current status.

Another tricky thing is, some set of advancement goals are harder to achieve (e.g., keep 1.000 fielding %, etc.) than others. So you have to choose how often you pass the goal. I usually try to pass the goal when it's easy to do, let go when the set is hard, etc...
Old 01-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
MVP

Another question.

On that other game I was able to create music playlists on my 360 hard drive and use those for in-game situations (e.g. batter walk-up, end of an inning, etc.). Can you do this with MLB The Show and the PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Yes. Go to player editor and you'll have a bunch of slots for assigning music, chants, etc. It's really nice when your favorite music plays when you hit a bomb or just comes to bat... with full reverb and all... really feels like you are in the stadium playing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »