Home

False data in analysis after simming an inning

This is a discussion on False data in analysis after simming an inning within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Pro

ScouserHUN's Arena

OVR: 4
False data in analysis after simming an inning

I have simmed the pitching part of the first inning and the pitcher analysis says Lester had 5 pitches in that inning. The gamelog says the following:

Kinsler flied to left for a single. Andrus grounded out to Lester(1-6). Kinsler out. Hamilton grounded out to Punto(6-4). Andrus out. Young walked on a 3-2 pitch. Hamilton advances to 2nd. Beltrestruck out on a 0-2 fastball.

This seems to be more than 5 pitches. Please give feedback. i think this is a bug...

In the end I have simmed the whole game, the analysis said my redsox threw 38 pitches... OMG...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: False data in analysis after simming an inning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouserHUN
I have simmed the pitching part of the first inning and the pitcher analysis says Lester had 5 pitches in that inning. The gamelog says the following:

Kinsler flied to left for a single. Andrus grounded out to Lester(1-6). Kinsler out. Hamilton grounded out to Punto(6-4). Andrus out. Young walked on a 3-2 pitch. Hamilton advances to 2nd. Beltrestruck out on a 0-2 fastball.

This seems to be more than 5 pitches. Please give feedback. i think this is a bug...

In the end I have simmed the whole game, the analysis said my redsox threw 38 pitches... OMG...
It's noted in the bug thread.

I wonder....if it's only counting pitches that have been batted in some way?

M.K.
Knight165
Old 03-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
It's noted in the bug thread.

I wonder....if it's only counting pitches that have been batted in some way?

M.K.
Knight165
That's definitely what it looks like. If you count the results in that log, 5 things happen: 1 walk, 1 hit, and 3 outs. It seems to only count the last pitch of an at-bat.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Senior AI Programmer - MLB: The Show

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouserHUN

This is by design. Only 1 pitch per at bat is shown, because that's all the simulator passes on to the game. The analysis tool is simply a scorecard - it can only write down what it's been told.

Last year, it didn't do anything at all for simmed innings but nobody complained. I don't have any control over the simulator, so the choice is between deleting the feature entirely or showing just 1 pitch per at bat.

This feature is required for and tied to another feature where in RTTS games you see what your teammates did up to your at-bat. For example, if you're a relief pitcher you'll be able to see the game log and see how you got put in to a 5-7 situation with 2 runners on base. However, by showing this information, testers complained that only one pitch was shown per at bat when viewed in the PBA. Again, the choice was between deleting the feature entirely or having it at all.

We considered implementing this pitch briefly, but this one detail would literally have cut the Pulse Pitching feature with the amount of time it would consume.

Last edited by Brian SCEA; 03-28-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Pro

ScouserHUN's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
This is by design. Only 1 pitch per at bat is shown, because that's all the simulator passes on to the game. The analysis tool is simply a scorecard - it can only write down what it's been told.

Last year, it didn't do anything at all for simmed innings but nobody complained. I don't have any control over the simulator, so the choice is between deleting the feature entirely or showing just 1 pitch per at bat.

This feature is required for and tied to another feature where in RTTS games you see what your teammates did up to your at-bat. For example, if you're a relief pitcher you'll be able to see the game log and see how you got put in to a 5-7 situation with 2 runners on base. However, by showing this information, testers complained that only one pitch was shown per at bat when viewed in the PBA. Again, the choice was between deleting the feature entirely or having it at all.

We considered implementing this pitch briefly, but this one detail would literally have cut the Pulse Pitching feature with the amount of time it would consume.
Thanks for the reply Brian!

I'm playing games with only doing the hitting part to finetune my sliders, but I never sim innings other then this, so this will not be a problem for me

Nice to hear it's not a bug...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #6

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

I know for sure when simming, it didn't count foul balls(that's the main thing I reported in the bug thread).
Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
MVP

MatrixTN's Arena

OVR: 10

Same happens if you game watch in RTTS with Result Play on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »