Home

General Questions MLB13

This is a discussion on General Questions MLB13 within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
General Questions MLB13

I have some general questions about game play that someone with more experience might be able to answer.
1. In the game one of the announcers say that hitters see how the ball comes out of the pitchers hand in order to determine curve, fastball, etc. Am I missing something cuz for the most part I do not seem able to do it. If it's in my hitters hot zone I take a whack at it. Has anyone ever picked up on the way the ball is released from pitchers hand?
2. I thought if you offered a player arbitration he's still under team control until after hearing but I lost a player as he signed with someone else. Did I miss something or do you have to keep checking their status (meaning has another team offered them a contract).
3. The CPU seems to make trades with other teams but rarely do I get an inquiry about my players. Is that normal?

Any help on these questions would be appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Pro

MauerMorneau09's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: General Questions MLB13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRK12
I have some general questions about game play that someone with more experience might be able to answer.
1. In the game one of the announcers say that hitters see how the ball comes out of the pitchers hand in order to determine curve, fastball, etc. Am I missing something cuz for the most part I do not seem able to do it. If it's in my hitters hot zone I take a whack at it. Has anyone ever picked up on the way the ball is released from pitchers hand?
2. I thought if you offered a player arbitration he's still under team control until after hearing but I lost a player as he signed with someone else. Did I miss something or do you have to keep checking their status (meaning has another team offered them a contract).
3. The CPU seems to make trades with other teams but rarely do I get an inquiry about my players. Is that normal?

Any help on these questions would be appreciated.
#1. There really isn't a way to do this in the game, considering the pitcher's motion has a pre-determined arm slot, there aren't different arm slots for different pitches.
#2. I thought if you were offered salary arbitration, you could still negotiate a contract with other teams. Not sure though
3. Do you have players on the trading block & did you update your team needs? If other teams don't know what you want & what you're offering, you won't get offers.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

#2 If you offer arbitration to a player who has been with your franchise for fewer than 6 years, you will retain him, then enter into an arbitration hearing towards the end of the offseason.

You might be getting arbitration and qualifying offer confused. A QO, can be made to a free agent of more than 6 years of experience. If another team signs him after you make the offer, you get draft compensation.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Pro

jmaj315's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauerMorneau09
#1. There really isn't a way to do this in the game, considering the pitcher's motion has a pre-determined arm slot, there aren't different arm slots for different pitches.
This is why dirtballing is unfair. Low curveball in the dirt looks a helluva lot like a low fastball/changeup.
its like the ball goes straight at first then drops instead of looking more loop-y errr parabolic?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Pro

MauerMorneau09's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaj315
This is why dirtballing is unfair. Low curveball in the dirt looks a helluva lot like a low fastball/changeup.
its like the ball goes straight at first then drops instead of looking more loop-y errr parabolic?
Yea that was exactly my thought, I've swung at a lot of curves that were 5 feet in front of the plate because of the weird movement.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 24

I agree with the movement thing also. And I feel like it wasn't as bad or weird in 2012, they seemed to have changed the way pitches move, and now they seem harder to read.

I know that's all subjective though, just my opinion.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 6

What I don't like is that the discipline attribute does pretty much nothing for the user except in check swings. You should have an easier time drawing a walk using Joey Votto at the plate than you should using Adrian Beltre. Both are great hitters who pitchers work to carefully, but one has great discipline and the other is a hacker. Some sort of pitch recognition method would be a great addition to this game like MVP baseball had (but more realistic, like arm slot differences).
Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Pro

jmaj315's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpitchhacker
What I don't like is that the discipline attribute does pretty much nothing for the user except in check swings. You should have an easier time drawing a walk using Joey Votto at the plate than you should using Adrian Beltre. Both are great hitters who pitchers work to carefully, but one has great discipline and the other is a hacker. Some sort of pitch recognition method would be a great addition to this game like MVP baseball had (but more realistic, like arm slot differences).
Well checking swings does help draw walks... gives you that extra split second to determine if its a ball or strike.

Pitch recognition... i swear it was like mlb2k7 or something... maybe high heat??? where the ball had a certain color right at release to tell you what pitch it was... that was awesome!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »