Home

GM Mode: A long term vision for what Franchise Mode could be

This is a discussion on GM Mode: A long term vision for what Franchise Mode could be within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: GM Mode: A long term vision for what Franchise Mode could be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMilan99
Expanded Statistic Tracking

I don't know if anyone else has touched on this...
No, I sort of implied it by mentioning Sabermetrics, but yeah modern stats would be pretty much essential to any GM Mode. They should probably have brief descriptions too, as not every fan is up to speed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #42
Rookie

Dynastium's Arena

OVR: 1

Sounds like you need to play some OOTP.

Otherwise, there's some cool ideas here. Except I don't know how much space they have to work with. Loading times might be an issue, but if they work it right it could be amazing.
EPL: Arsenal
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
Old 07-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #43
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynastium
Sounds like you need to play some OOTP.

Otherwise, there's some cool ideas here. Except I don't know how much space they have to work with. Loading times might be an issue, but if they work it right it could be amazing.
If I was going to develop a GM Mode I'd definitely set my sights higher than OOTP; a decent game, but the bar can be raised for sure.

As far as space and loading times, most of this stuff could probably be handled by the PS One. It's not really too demanding to assemble and sort data.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #44
MVP

This next one's a big one, the coup de gras:

Trade Talks!
Once you have all the other things mentioned in place, the player database and GM personalities, you have it set up to bring all those parameters into play come trade time. Just like in real life you could have it so discussions brought trade possibilities to the table, with talks heating up as a match started to take shape, or talks breaking down as a match can't be made. A few lines of dialogue to go along with the aforementioned parameters and trade talks could well be on their way. Here's an example of how things might work:

The trade dealine is approaching and you're out of the race, so you put guys up on the trade block and start to get inquiries. You answer those inquiries with what you're looking for in return, be it specific players or general player types. One club drops out saying no way they're giving up that guy, while another club says we may have what you're looking for so how about these guys? You check out what they have to offer and target a few guys, then another club jumps into the mix with a better offer, and you pass along that information to the previous club saying you're gonna need more if they want to get the deal done. That team ups the ante which you pass along to the competing team, at which point they back out saying that's all they can give up. So in the end you make the deal that's still on the table.

It's a lot I know, but if the parameters are set up right, you could having a living and breathing GM Mode that matched the wheeling and dealing you see in real life.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:59 AM   #45
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
This next one's a big one, the coup de gras:

Trade Talks!
Once you have all the other things mentioned in place, the player database and GM personalities, you have it set up to bring all those parameters into play come trade time. Just like in real life you could have it so discussions brought trade possibilities to the table, with talks heating up as a match started to take shape, or talks breaking down as a match can't be made. A few lines of dialogue to go along with the aforementioned parameters and trade talks could well be on their way. Here's an example of how things might work:

The trade dealine is approaching and you're out of the race, so you put guys up on the trade block and start to get inquiries. You answer those inquiries with what you're looking for in return, be it specific players or general player types. One club drops out saying no way they're giving up that guy, while another club says we may have what you're looking for so how about these guys? You check out what they have to offer and target a few guys, then another club jumps into the mix with a better offer, and you pass along that information to the previous club saying you're gonna need more if they want to get the deal done. That team ups the ante which you pass along to the competing team, at which point they back out saying that's all they can give up. So in the end you make the deal that's still on the table.

It's a lot I know, but if the parameters are set up right, you could having a living and breathing GM Mode that matched the wheeling and dealing you see in real life.
To get this to work right you'd have to code in AI that knew how to bargain, more or less. That is to say, they might start any trade talk with a minimum offer, and if no deal got done you'd set up a maximum parameter that the AI was willing to go to, with all the other parameters (GM personality, current roster, current club situation and circumstance, etc.) coming into play along the way.

A ton of stuff to consider and balance out, but man would it be cool!

Last edited by RandyBass; 07-30-2013 at 04:01 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #46
Pro

jmaj315's Arena

OVR: 2

Hopefully they make online franchise.... basically franchise mode but online

If they do, then they should give each human a GM style that best describes them and in essence we could wheel and deal since we can actually talk with those teams

I would like to be able to do that in an offline mode as I love simming seasons and all that
Old 08-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #47
MVP

Probably a useful feature:

A target list
This list would be used to keep track of players you target in other organizations as potential trade pieces. It could also be used to target amateur players for the draft, depending on how that's all set up. It could also be set up so that when you send out your scouts to check out players they come back with information on a player they may have found, and if you like that player you put him on the target list. Really this list would just be a way to help keep things organized better, and help you get a handle on all the data.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #48
MVP

Can't believe I hadn't thought of this:

Real GMs!
Not sure what kind of licensing fee we'd be talking about, but I think it'd be pretty cool to have real GMs in the game, same way you have coaches and players. Might even be able to get some input from them, on what it's like to be a GM. At the very least letting users edit the GMs in a roster file would be cool. I just like the idea of dealing with these guys in a trade talk situation like I mentioned above.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »