Home

Is The Show noob friendly?

This is a discussion on Is The Show noob friendly? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #1

kaletore11's Arena

OVR: 10
Is The Show noob friendly?

I'm throwing this out there before saying anything else, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BASEBALL.

The thing is, I want to learn and see what baseball's all about. Just watching games is a bit tiring and I really can't get all the nuances of the game.
I'd like to play this game and slowly get more into baseball and understand it better.

So, is the game noob friendly? Will I be able to learn about baseball by playing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
Positive HIV test results > fans talking class in sports

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
Rookie

Fuos1988's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is The Show noob friendly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaletore11
I'm throwing this out there before saying anything else, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BASEBALL.

The thing is, I want to learn and see what baseball's all about. Just watching games is a bit tiring and I really can't get all the nuances of the game.
I'd like to play this game and slowly get more into baseball and understand it better.

So, is the game noob friendly? Will I be able to learn about baseball by playing it?
The Show has an excellent beginner mode, also I would play a lot of exhibition (PLAY NOW) games first. Then I would play Season Mode. When you are comfortable with that then I would move on to Franchise Mode
Good Luck!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 2

Another mode of play that can help you understand the game is "Manage Only Mode" (otherwise known as MoM). In this mode you don't actually control the players while the ball is in play. But you can set the starting line ups then during the game you can call defensive positions, call for pitch locations (warning: even though you may call low and away doesn't mean the pitcher can place the ball low and away), you can of course sub pitchers and positional players. You can call for the batter and base runners to do a number of things. You can still very much be involved in the game. One downside with MoM in MLB 13 though is you can only use this mode of play in Season or Franchise modes. You can not play exhibition MoM games, no online MoM games and no MoM playoff games outside of Season/Franchise play.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaletore11
I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BASEBALL. The thing is, I want to learn and see what baseball's all about. I really can't get all the nuances of the game.
9 guys run around 4 bases until 3 of them are put out. Easy.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
Rookie

Fuos1988's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
9 guys RUN around 4 bases until 3 of them are put out. Easy.
And then sometimes they walk!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
Pro

I3RIS3H's Arena

OVR: 8

“Baseball is just a game, as simple as a ball and bat, yet as complex as the American spirit it symbolizes. A sport, a business and sometimes almost even a religion." -Ernie Harwell
NCAA: Kansas Jayhawks
Old 01-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
Rookie

Fuos1988's Arena

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball. You catch the ball. You hit the ball."
-Joe Riggins

Last edited by Fuos1988; 01-29-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

I would recommend reading something like "Baseball for Dummies", watching as much of the Ken Burns PBS documentary on Baseball as possible and looking at as many videos on YouTube as you can in addition to playing this game...

Not only is it as good a representation of the sport it's tasked to recreate, but "doing" is the "crown jewel" of learning...

Thankfully, it has a Rookie level and some tutorials and skills trainers, etc...

Remember, the guys in the Hall of Fame only hit the ball successfully about 3 times out of 10 tries, so get used to the level of patience ALL baseball is known for...

Lastly, I've been following the sport for decades, and have played this title since release and:

1) I pitch and hit, while setting the fielding and base running to "auto"

2) Hitting is a b*tch, especially the curve, change ups and sliders low and away!

Enjoy!

There's a lot of customization available to tailor the experience to your skill and interest...

Last edited by KingV2k3; 01-29-2014 at 07:16 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »