Home

Brooks Baseball - Reading the Charts question

This is a discussion on Brooks Baseball - Reading the Charts question within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Icon5 Brooks Baseball - Reading the Charts question

I am currently using brooks baseball for Velocity and for the different pitchers for my roster.

I see that you can also chart "movement" which I think means "Break" for MLBTS, am i right?

If so how can I take the movement shown on Brooks to make ratings for MLBTS?

Is there a chart for this?

for example - I am making Yonny Chirinos for Tampa Bay. I see on Brooks he has Four Seam, Sinker, Slider, and split finger pitches.

I see the velocity of each pitch as well but the "Movement" numbers for each pitch..I'm lost. for instance what do these number mean to put in MLBTS?

Vertical movement: Four seam - 8.91, Sinker - 5.31, Slider - 2.53 & Splitter - .66???

please roster makers help me out so I can contribute to the forum.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2018, 01:10 AM   #2
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Brooks Baseball - Reading the Charts question

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawksfan4ever19
I am currently using brooks baseball for Velocity and for the different pitchers for my roster.

I see that you can also chart "movement" which I think means "Break" for MLBTS, am i right?

If so how can I take the movement shown on Brooks to make ratings for MLBTS?

Is there a chart for this?

for example - I am making Yonny Chirinos for Tampa Bay. I see on Brooks he has Four Seam, Sinker, Slider, and split finger pitches.

I see the velocity of each pitch as well but the "Movement" numbers for each pitch..I'm lost. for instance what do these number mean to put in MLBTS?

Vertical movement: Four seam - 8.91, Sinker - 5.31, Slider - 2.53 & Splitter - .66???

please roster makers help me out so I can contribute to the forum.
I will try and help.

I base movement on what type of pitch it is. Some pitches break vertically and some break horizontally.

For example, Yonny Chirinos. His 4 Seam has -8.91 vertical movement but in the Show the 4 seamers basically go straight and don't really have up or down movement. For a 4 Seamer, I look at the horizontal movement. If a 4 Seamer has more than 4 inches of vertical movement, I use a Running Fastball. Some others on the forum use 6 inches of horizontal movement for a running fastball, some don't use them at all so it's up to personal preference.

Chirinos has a Sinker that has -9.85 horizontal movement and 5.31 inches of vertical movement. Since a Sinker in the Show breaks straight down and not horizontal, I will use a 2 Seam fastball because it breaks down and across. If a Sinker has a lot more vertical than horizontal movement, I use a Sinker.

Sliders are tricky because I always felt they break too much in the show. Most Sliders break between 1-5 inches. If a Slider has a lot of break I usually will go with a Slurve. Sliders with 90 break don't seem realistic to me.

Chirinos Splitter has more horizontal break than vertical break. If that's the case, I will use a fork ball because it will break across and down where a Splitter will break straight down.

Everyone does their edits a little different. I get good results with my edits and I think they make the game more realistic when pitchers have the correct repertoire.

Hope this helps. Good Luck editing.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMavs20
I will try and help.

I base movement on what type of pitch it is. Some pitches break vertically and some break horizontally.

For example, Yonny Chirinos. His 4 Seam has -8.91 vertical movement but in the Show the 4 seamers basically go straight and don't really have up or down movement. For a 4 Seamer, I look at the horizontal movement. If a 4 Seamer has more than 4 inches of vertical movement, I use a Running Fastball. Some others on the forum use 6 inches of horizontal movement for a running fastball, some don't use them at all so it's up to personal preference.

Chirinos has a Sinker that has -9.85 horizontal movement and 5.31 inches of vertical movement. Since a Sinker in the Show breaks straight down and not horizontal, I will use a 2 Seam fastball because it breaks down and across. If a Sinker has a lot more vertical than horizontal movement, I use a Sinker.

Sliders are tricky because I always felt they break too much in the show. Most Sliders break between 1-5 inches. If a Slider has a lot of break I usually will go with a Slurve. Sliders with 90 break don't seem realistic to me.

Chirinos Splitter has more horizontal break than vertical break. If that's the case, I will use a fork ball because it will break across and down where a Splitter will break straight down.

Everyone does their edits a little different. I get good results with my edits and I think they make the game more realistic when pitchers have the correct repertoire.

Hope this helps. Good Luck editing.
thanks for all the help. much appreciated. but I do have one more question how can I take those results and transfer them into the show's ratings?
Old 04-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawksfan4ever19
thanks for all the help. much appreciated. but I do have one more question how can I take those results and transfer them into the show's ratings?
Back in MLB 13 The Show, I wondered the same thing. So I did some tests.

I took a pitcher, went to practice mode, and put his Curveball break rating at 0. I then threw a bunch of pitches, took a ruler, and measured on the TV how much the pitch moved or broke down. With the rating at 0, the Curveball still broke about 1-1 1/2 inches. So I made a chart based on that. Even the best curveballs, according to Brooksbaseball, will break between 3-10 inches. I did this with other pitches as well.

The Circle Change is the same way. If you set the break rating at 0, it will still move about 2 inches. Most circle changes will break between 2-10 inches horizontally. So if a pitcher has a circle change that breaks 6.5 inches horizontally, I would assign him a 45 rating for break.

Hope this helps.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »