Home

Dead-Ball Era Roster Project

This is a discussion on Dead-Ball Era Roster Project within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Dead-Ball Era Roster Project

I'm continuing my roster project which I transferred to this year's game version. In the spring I uploaded 1906, and now I've added both '07 and '08 to the vault. I will continue to add additional years.

I realize, of course, there's not a lot of interest in this time period, but I do it because of my love for the history of the game and also because of the insights it gives me into the ratings so I can improve the RBU utility.

Keep in mind that teams back then did not carry many pitchers, so to flesh out the bullpens I had to create generics which are set to average rating levels for the team in question, or for that league (for the extra team slots). This helps to maintain proper parity between the good and bad teams of the time, and keeps statistics in line with the time period.

Another thing...this era was pitching and speed. Very few home runs and generally lower batting averages. (League average for 1908, which I just completed, was just .239, which was the second lowest in history next to 1968).

While I set lineups correctly (as best I could), the roster is not necessarily "franchise-ready" because of the minimal players and teams...I never really anticipated anybody using these for that. It can be find to play a few games, though. It's a different style of play, for sure.

Did my best on faces, but my talents are limited. I focused more time on the more well-known guys, less on the mid-lings, and very little on the rest. It can also be a bit tricky because there were so many little guys (5''5-5'6) and you can't scale a lot of the heads down far enough to prevent them from looking like circus freaks.

I will use this same thread to update as I upload more. I plan to release a couple new ones a month,
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
Pro

jemyers1975's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Dead-Ball Era Roster Project

I absolutely love playing these old dead ball era games. So I'm super pumped up your adding more years. Thank you

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-13-2020, 09:02 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemyers1975
I absolutely love playing these old dead ball era games. So I'm super pumped up your adding more years. Thank you

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Operation Sports mobile app
Until they give us the proper stadiums I just can’t into a roster like this. Maybe once modding is possible...
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!
Old 10-14-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
Pro

1909 completed and in the vault
Old 11-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
Pro

1910 was added a few weeks ago, but I apparently forgot to update the thread. 1911 added now as well.

Just a trivia note: 1911 saw a surge in batting averages as it was the first season to use the new cork-centered baseball. During one of my test sims, Shoeless Joe hit .399 and while I simmed a whole bunch more nobody topped .400. Cobb was closest at .393. Conceivable to see a .400 season but it would be rare.

Since I've been recently been bogged down with work, I've slowed down, but am will continue to move forward when I can.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »