Home

Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 17 Version]

This is a discussion on Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 17 Version] within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 2
Re: Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 17 Version]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I'm also curious if people are seeing fielding errors in the infield. I somehow haven't seen them as often as I normally do, especially when the Fielding Error slider is maxed out.
Fielding infield errors are definitely down. I am only 5 days into my MoM season (I am one day ahead of the real world calendar), and so far every game on the calendar besides my 4 MoM games has been a Fast Play CPU vs CPU with QCs enabled game. Now I have not watched every one of these other CPU vs CPU games (I did watch a few to ensure the game play was somewhat realistic), but I have done a quick look at the box scores of every one of these other games once they are completed looking at runs, hits, base on balls, strike outs, who stole a base, who got caught stealing and yes errors to see if the results of my CPU vs CPU games fall within the same results one might see in a real world game. Now of course the results are mixed. Some games produce high numbers and other games lower numbers. But for sure the number of errors are down.

Regarding the wild pitches and passed balls. I am still seeing about the same number of rogue pitches, but I believe I am seeing less bases being taken since I upped the Pitcher Consistency a few clicks. Example, in my MoM game last night, one of my pitchers threw the ball into the dirt and my immediate reaction was "#### the base runner on 1st will now be on 2nd". But low and behold, the base runner (a moderately fast runner) did not take the bag. Perhaps it was just an placebo effect. Perhaps next time the base runner will take the base like all the other ones prior to changing the slider.

Finally, I don't believe there is a slider setting for this. But another problem area that seems to effect MoM games (not sure about CPU vs CPU games) is the base runner either ignoring the 3B coach or the 3B coach giving the base runner bad advice. But I am seeing more guys being thrown at home plate on plays that are not even close than I have in previous years.

Don't get me wrong, I am still loving the game. But there might be three problem areas of the game.

1) Bases taken on wild pitches and passed balls.
2) Lower number of infield errors.
3) High number of outs at home plate on plays where the runner should have held up.

Some other people also say the high number of HRs is a problem. But the funny thing is, yesterday I saw an article about how the number of HRs in the real world was up in 2016.

Last edited by My993C2; 04-06-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #26
Pro

OVR: 4

I agree with the 3 "problems". Noticing less errors on the infield as well but not to the degree you guys are. Maybe at Fielder Error IF set at 9 or 10 it will come up close to avg for you guys over time. Noticed right off the bat there were too many outs at home. When i changed Arm Strength IF and OF to 4 for awhile it seemed to help some. IMO 4 Arm Strength plays out better then 5. You will see a few more IF hits (helps batting avg. as well) and the relays from the OF are not as crisp or fast. It is good to be able to bounce ideas back and forth to you guys. Lets get this thing "nailed" down so we can PLAY BALL
Old 04-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
3) High number of outs at home plate on plays where the runner should have held up.
Been noticing that myself but wasn't sure whether to mention since my testing was such a small sample. It was actually one of the reasons I lowered OF arm strength to 3 as well. Despite the adjustment, runners are still being thrown out at home. Looks to be more of an issue where baserunners are too aggressive as opposed to OF arm strength. It's killed rallies on several occasions, which hurts an already often struggling CPU offense.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aensland
Been noticing that myself but wasn't sure whether to mention since my testing was such a small sample. It was actually one of the reasons I lowered OF arm strength to 3 as well. Despite the adjustment, runners are still being thrown out at home. Looks to be more of an issue where baserunners are too aggressive as opposed to OF arm strength. It's killed rallies on several occasions, which hurts an already often struggling CPU offense.
When the base runner is out by a step or two, that is fine. It happens in the real world games all the time. I renewed my MLB.TV membership and have been watching real world games all week and there has been plenty of guys thrown out at the plate. But the problem with this game is when you can count several seconds after the catcher has the ball and before the tag is made to know something is wrong and I suspect only a patch in the code will fix it because the runners are not stopping at 3B when they should be stopped. Unfortunately I can't see it being addressed this year. But the game maker has fixed a number of MoM and CPU vs CPU issues from previous years. So I guess all we can do is make sure the game makers are aware of the problem and cross our fingers than it gets fixed at some point in time.

It's a great game. But it still has some warts.

Last edited by My993C2; 04-06-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #29
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I'm actually not optimistic about this wild pitch issue being solvable by sliders adjustment at this point. It does not appear Pitcher Consistency slider has a strong enough effect on the wild pitch frequency, even at 10 now. For that matter the effect isn't showing up in hit-by-pitch either... WPs and HBPs aren't that frequent of events that the numbers might have not been stabilized, but if after 50 - 60 games and still don't see the result you expect... it's either that the slider isn't effective enough or something else is not quit right.

This should probably mentioned as a wishlist item for a patch...

I would not want to use Runner Speed slider just to correct situation like this. It will have too much of other (unwanted) side effects.

But may be what's discussed in this thread is true:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...alls-dirt.html

and also runners probably take off too often on wild pitches.

But I actually suspect something really isn't working as intended on catcher's effectiveness on blocking pitches in the dirt. I wonder if the issue gets better if the Block attribute rating are set higher. If not, there might be a bug or something.
I just had a "WP", a 20 speed runner on 1st and the ball literally drops on the plate and the guy makes it to 2nd.

I wonder if lowering infield errors may help, if upping consistancy doesnt help it?

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 04-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #30
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
I just had a "WP", a 20 speed runner on 1st and the ball literally drops on the plate and the guy makes it to 2nd.

I wonder if lowering infield errors may help, if upping consistancy doesnt help it?
As far as I know, only Pitcher Consistency slider is effective in controlling WPs (and HPBs for that matter). Blocking attribute could be edited as well, but that's something of last resort if you are into editing...

I don't think fielding sliders/attributes have anything to do with wild pitches (not that they shouldn't, but I haven't seen enough evidence that they do).
Old 04-07-2017, 10:51 PM   #31
Rookie

Hey Nomo I love your work. One thing that seems to not be so accurate all of the time is a stacked team dominating most of the time over weak teams. I was wondering if you ever test this way? It's one of the way I love playing cpu vs cpu and I seem to always be disappointed with how often I lose. So far this year seems a bit better based on the very limited amount I have played, but my expectations are low.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2017, 11:37 PM   #32
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspoken55
Hey Nomo I love your work. One thing that seems to not be so accurate all of the time is a stacked team dominating most of the time over weak teams. I was wondering if you ever test this way? It's one of the way I love playing cpu vs cpu and I seem to always be disappointed with how often I lose. So far this year seems a bit better based on the very limited amount I have played, but my expectations are low.
I am not sure if I am understanding you fully, but you mean you have one team stacked up with highly rated players and play them against mediocre team?

Actually, one thing I always enjoy doing is to have a minor league team play against an MLB team... In the past I typically used the Astros since they were so bad (today it would be the Padres...) and played them against a better AAA or AA team... it's always interesting, since it kinda demonstrates how attribute rating separation created play quality difference in these levels.

When I do this, the worst MLB team still beats a minor league team in the vast majority of games... So I actually don't know if I agree with your observations.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »