Home

JoshC1977's MLB 19 Sliders

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's MLB 19 Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #25
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: JoshC1977's MLB 19 Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler28
Finally! An all star set. I feel the same way about all star this year. Its a challenge, more so than last year and real balanced.

Ive been rolling with armors set but on all star. It seems fine but i can tell some things need adjusted because of the HoF difficulty he based his on.

Couple issues ive seen on his that i dont know if its an underlining issue this year.

Your thoughts .

I feel cpu is pulling starters way too quick, like 4th inning even when pitching well

1. Could be a stamina issue. They seem to be getting tired fast or

2. Hook may need to be adjusted.

I also agree ace pitchers do not feel like they are aces. As the user i cant get strikeouts. The foul ball rate is way to high.

A lot of the cpu pitching feels the same no matter who the pitcher is.

Also im striking out a ton ( that could be me just being over aggressive) ill try out retro to see if i can pick up the ball better. I use fish eye 2.

Any help would be appreciated. Nice to see you in the show!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The manager hook has been fine for me this year, as usual. Sometimes guys (seemingly) get pulled early, sometimes (seemingly) a bit late, and other times it's just right. Remember, it isn't just about pitches thrown, but the stress of those pitches. If you're working pitchers with 20-25 pitch innings, those are more stressful and pitchers may tire sooner than the stamina bar would indicate (i.e. throwing 80 pitches in four innings is not the same as throwing 80 pitches in 7 innings). Pitchers also tend to go deeper into games as the season progresses (so quicker pulls in April are not uncommon - though I have had the CPU SP throw 117 pitches versus me in a game). I take a VERY slow burn when it comes to making changes to the hook/stamina sliders - I usually never get to the point where I see a persistent issue that warrants a change once I get a small sample size of 80-100 games (yes, I consider 80-100 games a small sample size).

I can definitely tell you that striking out the CPU is more challenging this year, but what I have been seeing is that I have a much easier time with high k/9 rated pitchers versus hitters with low vision/discipline (which is what one would expect). I'm running with the Twins this year; Berrios can K guys no problem, Pineda to a degree (usually while struggling with command), and then the other guys may get 4 or 5 Ks (occasionally more depending on matchup) in a relatively normal 6 inning start. My bullpen guys are higher K/9 guys, so I usually get a minimum of a K per inning from them. Last year's major league team average was 8.5 k/9; so what I have been seeing is pretty much spot-on. The higher pitch control slider helps induce more CPU swings and allows you to spot your pitches a tad better.

In terms of strategies to K batters (aside from the typical "mix-up location, pitch, velo"):
- I try to not waste pitches nibbling vs high contact/discipline guys, I attack them and try to induce early contact by keeping them off-balance within the zone. I'd rather run the risk of giving up a little blooper to a high contact guy in 2-3 pitches rather than K him after an 11-12 pitch at-bat.
- You have to throw strikes. It's SO tempting to nibble the whole game; but it won't work, the CPU will be way more patient and foul everything off. When your pitcher is throwing strikes, those pitches out of the zone become more the exception and that is when you throw timing off. That's where the previous bulletpoint comes into play - throw strikes to the less dangerous, high-contact guys - build up that confidence and when you throw crap to the undisciplined guys, it's way more effective.
- Something that has been WAY more important for me this year, knowing the heat map for the opposing batter. Don't just throw to the weaker areas, but be cognizant of where the hot areas are (especially if there is a "region" for a guy that is hot - like don't throw Realmuto a high pitch). What I love about AS this year is that if you groove one in a hot zone, it's going to get hit hard.

User Ks - this set will be a tad more forgiving than many as I did not change the Foul Frequency slider. That said, user Ks are so much a function of the user's own skill and discipline that I don't go crazy adjusting much.

This has been a super fun setup for me; lots of variety and the minute I think I have a worrying trend, something happens that turns it around. I'm right at the .500 mark so far in games played, which feels just about right for the talent level of the teams I have been using.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2019, 12:58 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

Hey guys, I just bought The Show for my PS4 and I'm going to be starting a franchise tonight. Do these sliders work for a CPU vs. CPU franchise where you take control of the team to do the Coach/GM stuff but don't play the games?
Old 04-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #27
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpersak
Hey guys, I just bought The Show for my PS4 and I'm going to be starting a franchise tonight. Do these sliders work for a CPU vs. CPU franchise where you take control of the team to do the Coach/GM stuff but don't play the games?
I don't see why not but I don't officially support Manager mode as there may be differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanVa
Will these sliders also work for RTTS?
I would think so, player ratings play out really nicely with these, so you should feel the difference in player quality as you move up levels. But I'm not an RTTS guy.

Last edited by JoshC1977; 04-29-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:26 PM   #28
MVP

tyler28's Arena

I played around on your set up a lot today and i really enjoyed it. The fun factor is definitely there.

I had much better results not striking out on a different camera and im seeing good results all around. Still seeing low k's on the cpu but ill roll with it. Foul rate seemed fine.

Im going to roll with this. Now im just narrowing down a team to use. Cincinnati is my home team, in still debating on using them , i feel like i know more about those players than any other team.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-30-2019, 12:56 AM   #29
Rookie

wizfan2's Arena

OVR: 3

How do you handle pitching changes in the middle of a half inning with quick counts?

"A wise man never knows all, only a fool knows everything"

"If you were making a list of people you trusted, would you put your name down"
-NF "Only"
Old 04-30-2019, 02:03 AM   #30
MVP

Daonlyjmo7's Arena

Great stuff man!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-30-2019, 07:49 AM   #31
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler28
I played around on your set up a lot today and i really enjoyed it. The fun factor is definitely there.

I had much better results not striking out on a different camera and im seeing good results all around. Still seeing low k's on the cpu but ill roll with it. Foul rate seemed fine.

Im going to roll with this. Now im just narrowing down a team to use. Cincinnati is my home team, in still debating on using them , i feel like i know more about those players than any other team.

Any suggestions?

Glad you're enjoying Tyler, it's a simple, but effective, set that doesn't feel quite as "grindy" as HOF has. The Ks will come too (I had 11 Ks with Berrios in 6.2 innings in a game last night vs the lowly Tigers).

Team-wise, I'm a Reds fan as well so I can't fault you there. Go with a team that either a) you feel a connection to or b) that just utterly intrigues you (for whatever reason).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizfan2
How do you handle pitching changes in the middle of a half inning with quick counts?
No idea man, I used QC for like 1 game the year it came out and never used it again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #32
MVP

gman2774's Arena

OVR: 4

Hey Josh. Hope all is well. Love the settings. Having a great time. I am hitting really well over 15-20 games and I’m pondering increasing pitch speed to 6. Also pondering cpu pitch control to 7. All to make hitting a touch more challenging for me.

Any thoughts on the cpu pitch control to 7. I’m a disciplined hitter and think I can still draw a fair share of walks even at 7. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »