Home

Rehab Assignments

This is a discussion on Rehab Assignments within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

OVR: 0
Rehab Assignments

As it stands, once a players injury is over, you can activate him straight to your big league roster, and his ratings, are the same as they were prior to his injury. That seems unrealistic to me. What I would like to see The Show implement is some sort of rehab system.

I would propose a system like this. As soon as a player is healthy enough to resume baseball activities, you will receive a notification saying so. The severity of the injury will determine how the players ratings are affected, and how much game action he will need to get his ratings to what they were before his injury. You would be able to see a players ratings before the injury and what they are currently from the DL screen. You would then have the option to send the player out on rehab, but before you do, you could choose to have him take part in a bullpen or batting cage session, they would only slightly improve his ratings. Depending on the severity and length of the injury, a players ratings could be affected by as little as 2 or 3 points, or as much as 45 or 50.

So what do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Rehab Assignments

I do these for my own team just for realism's sake. If you have 30-team control you can do it for other teams but you'd have to micro-manage it.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 06-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
Rookie

JPCaveman13's Arena

OVR: 6

Not a bad idea. It could be a nice factor to have to deal with in franchises or even in RTTS. I do think that it could be included down the line.

However, there's a lot that would go into that. What ratings should/would drop and how they could be used long-term?? Like for example, you get a injury pop-up for a pitcher who has a torn elbow ligament. There's a few different outcomes that could end up out of that. It could be fine post-surgery and there's no loss of velocity or control. There could be a minimal loss of velocity (do they all lose a certain percentage of their velocity or should it just be in straight mph off the velocity). Could even be a career-ending type of injury as there's a major loss of velocity. Also how would that be implemented?? Would the medical staff ratings play a part in it or just durability ratings for the player?? Also, if there is a loss of velocity (which probably wouldn't be known until well into the rehab process) would the training need to change to counteract that in either having them try to regain the lost velocity or should control be stressed?? How would that be reflected in this whole process?? Also, what if it is a minor injury?? Say it's something like a pulled hamstring or a sore back. That's something that could effect a position player for a couple of days or weeks or even for a few months as it never quite heals 100% because maybe when the pop-up came up it was in the neighborhood of a week-to-10-day injury and maybe the option to play through the injury was available.

It really does seem like a good idea. It just seems like there are a lot of questions surrounding how to implement this so it is balanced. At this point, there just seems to be a lot more questions than potential answers like what would determine the difference between Kerry Wood, Brandon Webb, and Steven Strasburg when dealing with an injury to the throwing arm.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 25

Yeah, I do this when players in my franchise get hurt. When they come off the DL, I option them to Double A or Triple A depending on the injury. I believe the rule in MLB on rehab assignments is 20 days for position players and 30 for pitchers so I just use those as my parameters.

I've heard that sound 3 times... once was Babe Ruth, the second was Josh Gibson, and the third was Bo Jackson- Buck O'Neil

Old 06-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Before they do this, I'd also like to see them have the injury system actually mean something to a players ability athletically at that point in the season. For example a fractured finger should decrease power until the player returns hits a few HRs and maybe his rating could go back up. I want to see injuries have some sort of effect on a season like that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
Before they do this, I'd also like to see them have the injury system actually mean something to a players ability athletically at that point in the season. For example a fractured finger should decrease power until the player returns hits a few HRs and maybe his rating could go back up. I want to see injuries have some sort of effect on a season like that.
I love that idea!!!

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 06-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
Rookie

baseballmad's Arena

Brilliant idea.....but one must not forget the important issues here.....'hair styles' and 'Player/team celebrations for 15'...........jeez, give me a break
Old 06-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I do these for my own team just for realism's sake. If you have 30-team control you can do it for other teams but you'd have to micro-manage it.
Problem with this idea is that you have to use player options, and if they are out of them you have to put them through waivers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »