Home

All-star Algorithm?

This is a discussion on All-star Algorithm? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
Rookie

Kapono96's Arena

OVR: 0
All-star Algorithm?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew how the game determines all stars in the franchise mode? It seems like stolen bases are weighted heavily, but does anyone know how much each category is valued?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
Banned

BlueJayPower's Arena

Re: All-star Algorithm?

I'm guessing the triple crown categories are heavily weighted but yes stolen bases have wayyy too much influence in the all-star selection process. However SB are given no consideration in picking the MVP.

Also for some odd reason, in every single edition of this game one or two guys from each league make it with something like a .213 average, 4 homeruns and 17 RBI, with few stolen bases (not literally those exact stats but something along those lines).

Another odd thing is that only 5 starting pitchers make the team with the rest being relievers.

I'll probably catch some flak for saying this, but this and the criteria for the awards really bugs me. Should be able to get these things right after nine years. I don't think that's asking for too much.

Last edited by BlueJayPower; 07-21-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:46 AM   #3
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

I just passed the All Star break and my only all star was Eduardo Escobar. It's fine my team only had one All Star but Escobar was hitting 9th in my lineup with a .231 average, a couple HR's, and not many RBI's. I'm not sure how many SB's he had. Anyway Mauer was hitting .280 with 9 HR's and a decent amount of RBI's but didn't make it. Also Perkins had 30 saves (3rd in the MLB) in 34 attempts and he didn't make it either. I'm not saying Mauer or Perkins should have made it, but as the lone selection for my team those two easily would have been the best choices. I just didn't understand it. I could have had probably a dozen guys on my roster that would have been a better pick then Escobar. Honestly the whole selection process was bad. There were way too many players on the team who shouldn't have been on it. I normally don't play the All Star game but since it was at Target Field I was planning to, until I saw the teams.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 07-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
Rookie

ItAllFades's Arena

OVR: 9

Just like just about anything else, the "logic" behind this needs work. And has for years.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
Pro

HadlerT's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I just passed the All Star break and my only all star was Eduardo Escobar. It's fine my team only had one All Star but Escobar was hitting 9th in my lineup with a .231 average, a couple HR's, and not many RBI's. I'm not sure how many SB's he had. Anyway Mauer was hitting .280 with 9 HR's and a decent amount of RBI's but didn't make it. Also Perkins had 30 saves (3rd in the MLB) in 34 attempts and he didn't make it either. I'm not saying Mauer or Perkins should have made it, but as the lone selection for my team those two easily would have been the best choices. I just didn't understand it. I could have had probably a dozen guys on my roster that would have been a better pick then Escobar. Honestly the whole selection process was bad. There were way too many players on the team who shouldn't have been on it. I normally don't play the All Star game but since it was at Target Field I was planning to, until I saw the teams.
Do they follow the real-life rule and make sure at least one player from every team is on the allstar team?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

They should have the option of letting the user fill out the All-Star rosters after the CPU picks the starters.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 07-23-2014, 01:15 AM   #7
Banned

BlueJayPower's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadlerT
Do they follow the real-life rule and make sure at least one player from every team is on the allstar team?
I'm not sure about that but that doesn't explain this dumb occurrence (glitch, whatever). I had initially thought that was the reason, at least I was hoping that it was, but much to my disappointment it wasn't. I've seen players with crappy stats make the all-star teams even with a teammate already there.

Last edited by BlueJayPower; 07-23-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

There are a lot of minor things that could use some touch up in this game. They had a huge list of stuff they got done in between 2013 and 2014. Maybe this algorithm and commentary will make it in to next year's edition. I know that improving dynamic difficulty and trade logic are likely already in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »